Can FC do this?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
1. Can External buttons switch layouts?
2. Can internal single switch toggle between 3 layouts?
3. Can I use Pedal input to control tap tempo (assuming switch inputs are used already)?
4. Are looper functions available on external switches?
5. Are vol increment /decrement functions available on Pedal inputs? Assuming i use a switch in pedal input.

I think you can only use external buttons to control anything that has a CC on the Midi/Remote menu of the Axe Fx III.

How would you toggle between 3 layouts? A toggle switches between 2 things... There is no layout toggle feature because that doesn't make sense: as soon as you change layout, the same button is now part of the new layout.

That being said, a single button has a press function and a hold function so you could make it work.

For example, if you wanted to be able to change between layouts 1-3 using button 1:

Layout 1:

Button 1 press -> layout 2
Button 1 hold -> layout 3

Layout 2:

Button 1 press -> layout 3
Button 1 hold -> layout 1

Layout 3:

Button 1 press -> layout 1
Button 1 hold -> layout 2

How would you toggle between 3 layouts? A toggle switches between 2 things... There is no layout toggle feature because that doesn't make sense: as soon as you change layout, the same button is now part of the new layout.
In Layout 1: Button goes to Layout 2
In Layout 2: Button goes to Layout 3
in Layout 3: Button goes to Layout 1

That likely achieves what @pauliusmm is looking to achieve but isn't the implementation he's thinking of.

Edit: mostly what you described now that I read your whole post. :)

That likely achieves what @pauliusmm is looking to achieve but isn't the implementation he's thinking of.

Edit: mostly what you described now that I read your whole post. :)
Yeah... But your method is "scrolling" through layouts, whereas mine allows choosing specifically from the other 2 layouts.

I almost listed your approach, but wanted to stick more with my interpretation of the request.

Yes, thats what im considering. If i color code this button differently for each layout - it might be quite intuitive.

Speaking of 'External Switches'.... Can a "Control Switch" be assigned to an External Switch?

I want to use an Ext switch to make use of the Control Switch midi function to launch clips in Ableton. I currently do this with one of the external switch inputs on the MFC-101 to send the CC command.

I've been going through the manual, but haven't found what I am looking for? Easy to do using scenes, which could work in some cases, but I really like using my low-profile momentary external switch.

If I have to use one of the on-board switches, I may have to go with an FC-12?

Last edited:
Speaking of 'External Switches'.... Can a "Control Switch" be assigned to an External Switch?

I want to use an Ext switch to make use of the Control Switch midi function to launch clips in Ableton. I currently do this with one of the external switch inputs on the MFC-101 to send the CC command.

I've been going through the manual, but haven't found what I am looking for? Easy to do using scenes, which could work in some cases, but I really like using my low-profile momentary external switch.

If I have to use one of the on-board switches, I may have to go with an FC-12?
No. I don't think so... Only things that can have CC assigned in the Midi/Remote menu.

No. I don't think so... Only things that can have CC assigned in the Midi/Remote menu.
They are also assignable in the modifier window.

Dang... I was hoping that I was just missing something. Don't have an 'FC' yet.

Would love to see more options opened up for Ext Switches. Control Switches, Scenes (select, Inc/Dec, toggle, etc...), Channels (select, Inc/Dec, toggle, etc...)... (things that aren't opened to modifiers)

Sorry don't mean to highjack but is there a way to access scenes layout by selecting a preset in the preset layout? Say I'm in the preset layout and on select a preset the pedal would then switch to that preset and be on the scenes layout for that song/preset.

The person that came up with the Layout Link feature should get a gold star. What a cool feature that minimizes foot stomps. I am using it on patch selection and automatically jumping to my scenes layout. I am sure there are other cool uses too.

Yes... Read the manual section on Layout Links.
[SOLVED] I wasn't understanding you need to push the edit button again to take you to another sub menu. Problem solved. Love this FC-6.

Thanks for that tip guess I haven't absorbed the manual. Oddly on page 38 where it says LAYOUT LINKS EXAMPLE is exactly what I want to do. You have two function on each Tap and Hold. So Value 1 is the Tap and value 2 is the Release of the tap. However when setting a switch to CATEGORY Preset/ FUNCTION Select in bank/ Value you can't set value 2 which would be the release. You can only Page right to set a HOLD function to switch back to Master Layout 2.

This will work but would be nice to just click/tap the button once to get back to the scene layout rather than having to hold it down.
Also I just realize you have to tap the preset remove foot then hold to get it to change to scene mode. Am i missing something here?

Last edited:
Thanks for that tip guess I haven't absorbed the manual. Oddly on page 38 where it says LAYOUT LINKS EXAMPLE is exactly what I want to do. You have two function on each Tap and Hold. So Value 1 is the Tap and value 2 is the Release of the tap. However when setting a switch to CATEGORY Preset/ FUNCTION Select in bank/ Value you can't set value 2 which would be the release. You can only Page right to set a HOLD function to switch back to Master Layout 2.

This will work but would be nice to just click/tap the button once to get back to the scene layout rather than having to hold it down.
Also I just realize you have to tap the preset remove foot then hold to get it to change to scene mode. Am i missing something here?

I think you are, I did too at first. After you select EDIT Layout, you then select EDIT Switch (B), From there you can edit the Layout Link for tap or hold.

Thanks for the help. I now understand better the menu system. Its nice that the info is in the manual but a more clear pictorial of how to access some of these features/settings would be nice. I guess it's expected that people will just push every button to see what will happen. Kind of scary for myself with all the options that can be taken advantage of that I don't destroy something I have set up already.

Back
Top Bottom