Can E Drums sound good?

I've tried IR's with drums and it doesn't really work. So much of drums is about the dynamics and not so much the EQ unlike guitar.

Getgood Drums also deserves a mention!
+1 for this. It uses midi just like Addictive Drums, Toontrack etc. but no other drum program has snares this punchy and authentic. It's a modern sounding drum program for sure but definitely not just for metal. I used it for this clip f.ex.

It's capable of sounding soft and hard when needed to. Worth checking out for sure. :)

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be discussing it this weekend. I've been pushing for a real kit, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. So these options just became the next best thing.

And, just so I'm sure I'm seeing all this correctly:

GGD is $99 + $399 for required Kontakt full
AD2 3kit is $99 and it would work direct with Reaper at $0.

If that's right, I already have a guess how this conversation is going to go, even if GGD is a better product...

Just to add a little bit to this conversation. I'd still highly recommend you understand the limitations of the "brain" and the snare as well as the other components. So, find out the model numbers of each so you can do some leg work. You may be limited by these components and the dynamics involved. These limitations are just going to carry over throughout your chain. So, you may like the new "tones" you can get via various MIDI triggered drums, but you will still suffer with the limitations, machine-gunning, lack of dynamics etc that give e-drums such a bad rap.

Here's a decent example of some of the dynamics that are difficult to achieve on the older sets:

Good Luck!

Gotcha. It's a Roland TD 20 brain, and the snare is a PD 120, toms are a mix of PD 120 and 100. Will research them, though they are certainly not new and will probably have the velocity/dynamics limitations.

@Dendrite join this forum and ask for some help https://www.vdrums.com/forum

When I was looking at an edrum setup for live shows involving a laptop and drum sample player, there were a ton of considerations.

The folks on that forum have real experience with putting together live rigs.

Our drummer has a really old Yamaha ekit. I can get the kick and snare sounding really great but the cymbals and toms are never good.

The kick and snare were just in need of EQ. Very good sounding.

New product on the market.....Pearl Mimic.
It's an eDrum brain loaded with Steven Slate drums.
Game over....that's the one to get.

I use a TD12 kit and trigger Superior Drummer with it. The hi-hat triggering is important to get set up properly and the positional sensing on the Ride and Snare make a huge difference in the realism of the response and sound. I use it for recording. For live, I've never liked playing with an e-drummer. It just doesn't have that nice washy feeling you get from an acoustic kit. Especially the cymbals.

Church settings, like most live venues these days, are going to E-drums. It's the same reason that most of us are here, and the big Marshall is collecting dust....
Roland uses synthesized sounds, and everyone else seems to be going the way of sampled IR's . They do sound very good in the mix. Roland makes really good, durable kits, they are probably the best e-drum kit you can get. I've had various over the years, and have only had to replace cables.
Currently, I am using a td-20 brain with all Roland cymbals, and a hybrid kit. The kit is an old Yamaha acoustic set with mesh heads and triggers. The hybrid kit goes a long way in making a drummer feel comfortable. You can tension the heads for a genuine response. The triggers don't work as well though. More machine gunning and the snare rim trigger has a mind of its own. But, every drummer that has sit at them adjusted quicker than with the electronic versions that worked better. And loved them! I think of it as the amp in the room syndrome.
I would recommend trying the hybrid style kit with the midi controlled software. It was really inexpensive to make myself. I picked the kit, with hardware off of Craigslist for $90 . Bought the mesh heads and triggers as a kit for another $150, and put them together in an afternoon.
If I was more serious, and was playing live/ recording, I would get the software as recommended above. But, for weekend practice and jam sessions, these are pretty slick!

Well, looks like the money I was hoping to use is going toward our big wireless mic replacement instead (stupid FCC and their rules...), so my plans are tabled for a while to come. But regardless of timing, thanks again for all the thoughts on this. I had no idea there were so many killer options out there!!

New product on the market.....Pearl Mimic.
It's an eDrum brain loaded with Steven Slate drums.
Game over....that's the one to get.
2000$+ not the kind of budget to laugh about, only a drummer would spend that ^^

2000$+ not the kind of budget to laugh about, only a drummer would spend that ^^
I might get it for my studio. Mainly because it means we can rehearse and track (with Slate drums) at any volume.

Back
Top Bottom