Can AXE FXII do good vintage amp?

Claud

Ciao! I am newbee to modelling and consider to buy the AXE FXII or Kemper. AXE FXII seems to have many better features so am thinking to buy this, but I listened to many SoundCloud clips and Kemper seems seems more real to me. I like the sound of a real vintage amp. I wonder if the AXE can do this well. My favourite Kemper clip is this... http://soundcloud.com/david-dyer/kemper-profiling-amp-amp
I love the warm tube sound of this clip. Can anyone post a clip showing that the AXE FXII can do this well?

I don't know if this is enough vintage for you? I hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8p-jbNTRu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not a metal player. Everything clean and vintage for me. And I love the axe!

Also check out the webpage of the guy above with his mp3 clips of his versions of classic tones.

Tyler Grund's Axe Fx 2 Website

He is still on fw6 but there us fw 9.02 available which is a huge improvement!
He uses(i think) fw6 because the computer editor axe edit, does not work right now with the current firmware but the new editor is out soon.

Hi Claud

The Kemper clip you provided sounded great.

I think the biggest difference in the Kemper and the AXE is that the Kemper sound is only as good as the profiles you can get or create from amps you have. And the AXE sound is as good as you can imagine

And of course all the effects in the axe

And the fact that AXE is constantly improved

And..

And..

But the clip you provided sounds great

Best wishes for your decision.

AAEN

Try looking through the recording section of this forum. There are so many amazing tones in all categories.
Other then that i completelly agree with all AAEN said.

IMHO the AxeII delivers in spades. Find some amp, eq straight up, no effects, then switch IR`s until you get in YOUR ballpark. Then eq some more.... THEN add effects. This is how i get there quickest.

If you find a good setting, just switch amps. The preset may sound just as good or better with another amp when you`re set.

Good luck!!

Forget the KPA, I sold it after a few months. It's way too restricted amp/fx/tone shaping-wise. I was struggling to get good tones from it because realistic tone shaping is very limited due to profiling (you can only post adjust the EQ for example, and this is very limiting). I thought the Axe II would sound less realistic, but right now my Axe II sounds just as realistic as any of my tube amps did.
Also, the KPA and the Axe II are not in the same league with the Axe II costing ~ twice as much (at least here in Europe), and believe me, the Axe II is twice as much a great device as the Kemper.

Here are some more suggestions, well the recordings are from a mic in the room so there is room/string ambience/noice too.

AXE FX II Friedman amp dirty sound - YouTube
AXE FX 2 clean sound - YouTube
AXE FX II friedman amp model - YouTube

and of course this. Maybe not the songs/productions but I think the sounds are very basic guitar-amp-cab+ some verb and delay especially with the strat, 335 and the les paul in the end

Guthrie Govan's Late Night Sessions Series 2 at Jamtrackcentral.com - YouTube

but maybe that is too far out to be called vintage!!??!! But tasty!

Check out the list of amps in the product description. It models them accurately with way more options than the original.

Do realize your asking this question on the AXE-FX forum. I'm sure if you go to the Kemper web site, you'll get a different response. ;)
To be honest, there's really nothing out there that can touch what the AXE-FX II, especially with the upcoming v10 upgrade.

Before this slides down the VS trail too far...
I've owned both. Actually two of both at one point or another. You can sound great with either one. Sit down, write down what you need and then comapre/ask questions based on that. If you just need to do XXX with certain affects in a certain order etc, the Kemper can do that. Both can nail pretty much any given amp tone, given a little effort. Also, what are you like? Do you like to dig into stuff or hate it? Do you like a simple interface without a lot of options, or a simple interface that if you want to, you can change things you never knew or wanted to know existed?

The biggest difference to me, because it is all modelling regardless of marketing speak, is flexibility. The kemper is not any more flexible than a POD, an Eleven Rack, G5 or any other unit out there. The axe is more flexible than all of them combined.

Second biggest difference is upgrade turnaround time and maturity of the product. Footswitch? Upgrades? Management? Just when I can't imagine it getting any better-something new spills out of Cliffs brains like so much zombie brain butter. I found myself always waiting on the Kemper to fix something.

Again, if you dont need all of that flexibility, you have a tough call. Though last I saw -the price difference was really making it as hard of a choice. THe KPA when I got it was around $1400, but it's near 2K now. For a few hundred more...just saying.

If you plan to make clips for the internet, only then you can tell the quality by listening to such a clip. And remember there have always been people that rocked well with POD's of the first generation. Try to find out if that clip sounds good because of the gear or because of the player.
I bought so many stomps that sounded awesome on YT, just to find out that they are not better than average.

I don't know if this is enough vintage for you? I hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8p-jbNTRu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not a metal player. Everything clean and vintage for me. And I love the axe!

Also check out the webpage of the guy above with his mp3 clips of his versions of classic tones.

Tyler Grund's Axe Fx 2 Website

He is still on fw6 but there us fw 9.02 available which is a huge improvement!
He uses(i think) fw6 because the computer editor axe edit, does not work right now with the current firmware but the new editor is out soon.

This is the clip that convinced me to get the Axe II.
I am a vintage tone guy and still have those amps.
I now know for sure the the Axe can give me the tones I am used to and so much more.
You will not be disappointed.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom