Can axe do Autotune effects like the antares AVP-1?

I trust most people here know that almost every vocal you hear on a modern CD has been pitch corrected to some degree - the fact that you may not be aware of it is simply the evidence of a job well done, but it is true nonetheless.

Radley said:
I trust most people here know that almost every vocal you hear on a modern CD has been pitch corrected to some degree - the fact that you may not be aware of it is simply the evidence of a job well done, but it is true nonetheless.

Too true! Time is money. In the studio, sometimes it is quicker for me to re-tune a vocal than to have a vocalist keep re-tracking. If it's close enough and the feel is there i just move on and correct later. I used to use Melodyne a lot but now Cubase 5 has it's own equivalent built in that is much faster called vari-audio that sounds so much more natural than Autotune will ever sound.

Sometimes though it's a sum of parts thing as well. For an example, the accapella intro to Queen's "fat bottom girls" sound great, nice and rich, awesome harmony right? Well, try stereo imaging it so that the centre vocals are cancelled and you can hear that the peripheral vocals are fairly ordinary, some are just plain flat, but all together it's beautiful. My point here is that i've tuned group vocals in the past and invariably it just sounds un-natural, almost as if it is computer generated... but on single take i definitely think retuning has its place.

jerotas said:
Being slightly off rhythmically in a vocal (as you mentioned) is sometimes totally awesome and better than being right on the beat.

Exactly my point. It's these imperfections that sometimes gives a take its character. Thats important and a part of the magic of a good song/record. I think the whole pitch hysteria with the auto tuning everywhere and all that is kinda like the verb hysteria in the 80's. It's new and everyone wants to use it for what it's worth.

What I'm saying is, if a song doesnt have dead on drums and vocals, rhythmically and pitch-wise, radio won't play it. Some of my absolute favorite records are far from perfect technically, but they have magic. They have character and the right feel. Auto tuning, nudging and generally too much editing can and will strip songs for integrity, character and feel/soul.

Radley said:

Of course it's a job well done, in the sense that it is possible. That doesnt make it a good thing. I'm not really of the opinion that all pitch correction should be stopped, I just think there is a overuse going on. I just think that it doesnt always have to be dead on to be great.

jerotas said:
Side note - I hate 99% of all wah-wah solos I've ever heard. The only guys I've heard use it really well and not the crappy Kirk Hammett "rocking method" are: Joe Satriani and Blues Saraceno (remember him?)

I agree, that effect has been ruined by the likes of Hammet. Not to mention how some good solo parts have been ruined by his wah abuse.

Guitar-Tiz said:
[quote="Rich G.":3a43vnwb]
FractalAudio said:
...I hate that effect so it won't happen. :mrgreen:

but... I wanna make my guitar sound like T-Pain!!!... and Cher.

Then just copy the Vetta Whammy. :D

I kid, I kid...

Well mostly.[/quote:3a43vnwb]

I actually quite liked the Vetta Whammy! I bought a Digitech Whammy 4 after selling the Vetta and it was very thin in comparison.

dspry said:
Guitar-Tiz said:
Then just copy the Vetta Whammy. :D

I kid, I kid...

Well mostly.

I actually quite liked the Vetta Whammy! I bought a Digitech Whammy 4 after selling the Vetta and it was very thin in comparison.

We must not have the same Vetta. :D

Autotune has been around for quite some time so I won't say whats already been said..

Besides.. Without it we wouldn't have such joys as "Auto-Tune The News" and melodies stuck in my head for hours such as "Very thin Ice.. Very Thin Ice, Very Thin Ice" If you haven't watched these, I encourage you to do so.

Didn't the 80s abuse and eventually kill reverb too? We still use that :mrgreen:

danielodland said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVpITyOdc8

Next thing you know, you sound like this.

I know you wanna turn it off, but listen to the whole thing.

Aw man, that is the funniest thing I have seen for ages. Auto-tune Europop Metal? Seriously? WTF! That's one crossover I was not expecting...

...and I don't care how cool it becomes but at my age I am NOT wearing my guitar below my gonads.

In the words of the Bard, EPIC FAIL!

It's an effect.
People with imagination will use it in cool and creative ways, as has always happened.
I would like to have it, of course. Being easy to program but not implemented because Cliff "doesn't like it" is disappointing, IMHO.

psst said:
Being easy to program but not implemented because Cliff "doesn't like it" is disappointing, IMHO.
I agree... When you are in the position of producing a product for the masses, it's about transcending your own personal preferences. I play in a very successful corporate cover band and 99% of what we play i personally can't stand, but if we played songs that i actually like as opposed to the crap that we do play, we wouldn't be anywhere near as successful.

hideous said:
glad we're not getting this. sounds gay as hell. :twisted:

Wow. Is this the Axe-fx forum, or YouTube? Let me guess- people who use autotune are "fags," and "your" never going to use it "cuz" it "sux."

Nice opinion. :roll:

teejay said:
psst said:
Being easy to program but not implemented because Cliff "doesn't like it" is disappointing, IMHO.
I agree... When you are in the position of producing a product for the masses, it's about transcending your own personal preferences. I play in a very successful corporate cover band and 99% of what we play i personally can't stand, but if we played songs that i actually like as opposed to the crap that we do play, we wouldn't be anywhere near as successful.

I have to say I was also a little put off when Cliff made this comment. Maybe he thought it was funny but I didn't take it that way. I don't need the effect but I can see where some users would want it and if it is so easy to implement, why not? Better to not reply than to offend.

It's in general not garanteed to take little code, just because it's easy to implement.

The way updates are going I'd rather have memory reserved for guitar related stuff.
And only Cliff has an idea of the road map ahead and what space it might take up.
He must also be one to receive regular EUREKA hunches for yet new ideas that are guitar related and could eat up space in a hurry.

OK, if in 2 or 3 years there's still plenty of memory, then why not.

Putting it in and taking it out later to make way for guitar related stuff is also ok by me, but would get whiners by the hundreds. And yes, opinions can change and it could even be me :mrgreen:

Philip said:
hideous said:
glad we're not getting this. sounds gay as hell. :twisted:

Wow. Is this the Axe-fx forum, or YouTube? Let me guess- people who use autotune are "fags," and "your" never going to use it "cuz" it "sux."

Nice opinion. :roll:
Yeah, I was being very silly there. Apologies, no offence intended.
Found it slightly amusing when FAS said they hate the effect so we'll never see it on axe-fx. Fair enough I say.

Maybe it does have some musical value somewhere in the right hands, but I have to be honest, I've yet to hear it put to good use.
To me, the vocals with this effect sound like an effeminate robot, but ymmv. Not sure if Cynic use it, could be the same thing. Tremendous musicians, really dislike those vocals though.

My 2 cents... it's an AXE fx, and should stay that way as long as resources are limited. It's not called a Vocalfx for a reason ;) . I have nothing against that vocal effect when used properly, but I don't understand why this is a discussion to begin with. What's after the Autotune? Are we going to bug Cliff for a De-esser and other vocal fx too? I prefer to see precious resources go toward guitar processing :cool:

I think the Axe-FX has this reputation of being an "all-in-one" box or pretty close to it. Consequently people ask for everything and the kitchen sink to be added.

FractalAudio said:
I hate that effect. It's basically a pitch shifter but uses a keyboard to input the desired pitch. The shifter calculates the difference between the input note and the desired note and shifts accordingly. It probably wouldn't be that hard to add since all the core functionality is there but I hate that effect so it won't happen. :mrgreen:
:roll: :cry: I'd like to test it with my fretless guitar and my Etherwave theremin.
I hate that effect in all actual vocal productions, but it's an effect that can be really interesting for many other things.
With my GT-5, I remember a tip with the harmonizer to "auto-tune" my Whammy pedal. It was a really cool effect of stepped whammy. I'd like to reproduce it with my Ultra. :(

With that same tip, I used the buzz of an unplugged jack and some distortion to create a strange synthesizer sound while grabbing the sleeve and touching the tip of the jack with my thumb. Whammy get the pitch of its noisy sound, and harmonizer/autotune get the scales. It was an excellent visual effect on show. ;)...

Back
Top Bottom