Can anybody help me nail the Meshuggah Obzen tone?

Spaceboy

Inspired
It seems I'm awful at building patches, and I normally use a slightly edited version of Ola Englund's patches. I'm wanting to get that sharp sound from Meshuggah's Obzen, which was recorded with Line 6 Vetta IIs. It's not really as mid-range sounding as Periphery and all those "djent" bands, it has a more hollow sound with less snarl. I'm starting with a dry patch, only drive, amplifier, cabinet, and PEQ. I understand very few of the advanced parameters and honestly can't tell an audible difference when fiddling with some of them. Could anybody share some tips, personal patches, or even download mine and see if any desirable changes could be made? I'm not really sure what else I should be doing with this. There's too much fizziness at the moment.

Attachments

• shooga.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 205
This patch sounds too fizzy through Yamaha HS80Ms, but almost right through ART SLA2 and ELX112, although maybe a bit thin like it wouldn't really cut.

I downloaded it and I agree with the fizziness. It still sounds pretty good, though. Then again, I'm kind of in the same boat as you: I'm not the best at making patches.

I'm using a JP7 with a crunch lab bridge pup and rokit 7 monitors.

Spaceboy, what pickups are you using?
Lundgren M8 and EMG 81-7 in the bridges of my main two guitars, so the pickups aren't the problem here.

I've made a more recent patch that is essentially a Das Metal amplifier with all knobs at noon, and TS with tone at 10, gain at -0, and the SLM V30 cabinet... it actually sounds very close, but mate too sharp. I've not had time to really mess with it though.

View attachment NaushZen 1 ch.syxI don't claim to be good at this either. This is what I came up with using the Ola patch, to me through my interface (headphones) and with blackouts, it sounds like more of a cross between Obzen and Catch 33. Let me know what you think and if you or anyone else can mod/expand upon it.
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback and you're welcome guys! I have another version for 6.0 firmware which I think even sounds closer. Finding it very hard to use FASModern amp with the new firmware, it's too gritty now. So went to DASMetal.

Back
Top Bottom