Can an FCB1010 connect to the Axe USB port?

LostInSpace

Inspired
I was setting up at a gig on Saturday night as usual when I found my FCB1010 wasn't controlling the Axe. I connect them with a simple midi cable from FCB1010 midi out to Axe midi in. Tried a spare midi cable, no help. Connected the FCB to another device and it was switching channels, so I realized the cable and FCB were ok. Tried powering the Axe/FCB on and off, and inserting and re-inserting the plug in the Axe... no luck. I was about to switch to my "backup" rig (POD XT Live... ugh), when on one last try I got the connection to work when I pulled the midi plug very slightly out of the Axe midi in jack. Pretty sure that jack has an issue so I'll need to contact support. I probably should have done something about it earlier, because the jack really didn't make a nice snug connection when I first plugged the midi cable into it months ago, but I always left it plugged in and just rolled up the cable in the back of my rack after each show. I made the mistake of unplugging the cable when I left the prior show, never thinking I'd have a problem when I put it back in.

Anyway, as a backup connection option, I was wondering if I could carry a midi-to-usb cable to connect the FCB midi out to the Axe USB port and do "midi over USB". Would this work?

Never needed to try the Midi to usb.
I only use usb for editing AX.

Try another midi cable with thicker pins and housing shield? I use patch panel to keep me from borking my midi port. (before patch panel i used an AT keyboard extension cable) I borked a few midi ports since the 80's and have learned this important thing. Protect your midi ports, unless you can solder. Even then..

I run 2 FCB 1010's, one for 10 patches and 2 expressions for the AXFX, On the 2nd FCB I control scenes 1-5 for AX,
I control a Roland vg-99 patches on 6-10, expression 1 for vg-99 and expression 2 for Roland gr1 on the 2nd FCB1010.
All with 1 midi cable to rack!!

Last edited:
you need the eprom chip upgrade, diy on youtube look it up its 10 bucks the guy burns the eproms for the fcb1010 to work with axe fx 2 i have one in mine works awesome and you have 2 exp pedals already way cheaper than the axe foot controller and dont have to buy extra exp pedals might try that it works flawless .......and its so easy pull out the old one put in the new one he sends it in a shock proof bag too so you dont have to worry about static jacking it up .......hope this helps

you need the eprom chip upgrade, diy on youtube look it up its 10 bucks the guy burns the eproms for the fcb1010 to work with axe fx 2 i have one in mine works awesome and you have 2 exp pedals already way cheaper than the axe foot controller and dont have to buy extra exp pedals might try that it works flawless .......and its so easy pull out the old one put in the new one he sends it in a shock proof bag too so you dont have to worry about static jacking it up .......hope this helps

hows about you provide us with a little more information on this "FCB1010 MIDI-to-USB" adapter/conversion kit? Never heard of it. There are a couple different EPROMs that you can get that alter the performance of the FCB to work (subjectively) better than the stock chip, but unless I missed something somewhere, the FCB doesn't plug directly into the AxeFXII USB port: MIDI out ---> USB, which is what I believe the OP was asking about.

Can someone also confirm that you can control the AxeFxII MIDI via USB via computer. If so, then you could go FCB1010 MIDI out to computer USB, then from the computer USB to the axeFxII usb...maybe...never tried it myself.

hows about you provide us with a little more information on this "FCB1010 MIDI-to-USB" adapter/conversion kit? Never heard of it. There are a couple different EPROMs that you can get that alter the performance of the FCB to work (subjectively) better than the stock chip, but unless I missed something somewhere, the FCB doesn't plug directly into the AxeFXII USB port: MIDI out ---> USB, which is what I believe the OP was asking about.

Can someone also confirm that you can control the AxeFxII MIDI via USB via computer. If so, then you could go FCB1010 MIDI out to computer USB, then from the computer USB to the axeFxII usb...maybe...never tried it myself.

USB midi on the Axe requires computer (or Ipad after bootloading drivers). If you had a USB midi interface (or interface cable), you could plug the FCB and Axe both in, but I don't know if this would be an improvement if the FCB commands don't control the Axe. I have an FCB with the Uno chip and that worked pretty well for controlling the Axe. I ran a Behringer fader/knob box into the FCB and used the FCB for patches/effects and the knob box for gain/level/delay mix/etc. Worked fine. Without the Uno chip, the midi thru of the FCB didn't work, so I couldn't use the knob box.

My FCB (w/Uno chip) is working fine... it's just the MIDI In jack on the Axe that seems to have gone bad, and in this situation, it sounds like I'm pretty much out of luck. Similarly, I'm guessing you also can't just get a special cable to send the MIDI data to the CAT5 jack. I like to be prepared for just about any type of failure, but I don't want to carry a laptop to use as a USB host for a rare situation like this.

Anyway, my Axe is headed back for FAS for some TLC.

the best way to make sure the physical MIDI In connector stays in good shape is to employ a patch bay which is hard mounted to your rack. The chances are very small that, once connected to a patch bay, the connector on the Axefx will crap out. The connector on the patch bay takes all the abuse, and can be replaced. I also advise against leaving cables and connectors plugged in to the Axefx while using the back of the rack as a means of storing cables. A full patch bay is the way to go. Do it right once...you won't regret it if you are a busy user.

the best way to make sure the physical MIDI In connector stays in good shape is to employ a patch bay which is hard mounted to your rack. The chances are very small that, once connected to a patch bay, the connector on the Axefx will crap out. The connector on the patch bay takes all the abuse, and can be replaced. I also advise against leaving cables and connectors plugged in to the Axefx while using the back of the rack as a means of storing cables. A full patch bay is the way to go. Do it right once...you won't regret it if you are a busy user.
A patch panel is definitely a good suggestion... I'm going to get one. Thanks!

its not the uno eprom i have never used that eprom so dont get them mixed up ....heres the link to where i got mine and the youtube videos on how to change it in the fcb1010... its easy and its not to hook it up usb its for midi only like you would hook the midi foot controller up to any midi device hope this helps out ....i talked to the guy hes really nice and knows alot about this fcb1010 i have used this midi foot controller on my triaxis set up johnson 250 head line 6 products its very good midi controller and keep your old eprom incase you want to go back to stock settings

Setup - EurekaSound!

heres the page of the eprom you need its a pp eprom http://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom/pp

as it says it can be used with the axe fx and mine works just fine its easy to install there is some glue under the old eprom just take it out slow it will show you in the videos i use the 2 exp pedal for volume and the other for wah and bringing effects in or clean to dist ect its never let me down i got it last year and used it quit a bit since you can set it to do banks and or turn on and off the blocks via dist pedal delay ect like a stomp box its pretty cool i just cant see paying 1000 bucks for a midi pedal so this is my route and works good for my set up

Here's a list of some of the devices our customers use with the PP Programmable configuration:
Ableton Live
BOSS VF-1
Digitech GSP1101
Eventide Eclipse

Fractal Audio Axe-FX Standard/Ultra/II

IK Multimedia Amplitube X-Gear
Kemper Profiling Amp
Lexicon MPXG2
Line6 HD Pro Rack & HD500
Native Instruments Guitar Rig
Rocktron Voodu Valve
Roland GP-100

Last edited:
A patch panel is definitely a good suggestion... I'm going to get one. Thanks!
For who might be an interest....
I'm using recently a M-audio MidAir Wireless with FCB1010 and Axe...sooo easy now ,no more cables. And the receiver I'm using it at home to connect my FCB to PC to change stuff.
For small to mid size stages you should be more then ok.

Back
Top Bottom