Can a standard FM9 be upgraded to turbo??

Dirty145

Inspired
Just curious, as I have the standard edition and with dynacabs likely on the horizon, the extra CPU power would be nice.

Not likely. The Turbo by definition has a different chipset than the standard. Although the construct is likely similar, it would require several adjustments that FAS repair service would unlikely do. If you want turbo, buy turbo.

FTR, I've got the standard and see no significant difference in CPU usage, simply because my user presets don't require a lot of CPU.

Guys its ~10%....seriously. For sure 10>0 but :) its neglectable.
I had the standard than upgraded to the the T, the difference is not a big deal....really.
If your preset scrach the 100% CPU than......maybe the III is better for you.

Last edited:
I had the standard than upgraded to the the T, the difference is not a big deal....really.
I have read on this forum lots of people hoping for an upgrade that will extend the CPU wall on their FM9Ts too. When I first got mine I created some presets that went over 80%. Now that I have had mine a while, I learned how to make more efficient presets that achieve equivalent results. I'm sure this won't be possible in every case, but optimizing your presets and learning a few tricks put out there by the community can certainly help.

space working GIF by MOOT

Sure you can. Sell the standard and buy the Turbo. 😂
Yup... seriously you can probably get a good amount for your standard and probably find a used turbo and in the end cost you out of pocket what a "upgrade" would amount too. Just takes the work of managing the sale. Between the forums here and ebay I don't think its taken me more than a couple of days to sell a Fractal product.

Just because you don't use/notice the difference that doesn't mean the difference is insignificant. I tried to build a preset on the standard and ended up having to remove a block to make it work. On the Turbo I was able to keep that block.

So it depends on the user. For some it will make a difference, for some it won't. But if it will for some people then it's significant.

It's just a bit more breathing room but definitely not a game changer.

If your preset is 100% CPU then getting that preset out of there will be the immediate problem because the unit will not be happy. And, definitely, the FX3 would be the better choice.

I've seen presets from FX3-Turbo users that knocked my FX3 Mk II into a full-blown CPU overage. Sigh….

Back
Top Bottom