Can’t hear Axe II through studio monitors

caseygree

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

• Run AxeII audio through USB to Mac
  • Run Mac USB out to Roland Quad capture for monitoring

When I do this, I can hear everything through my monitors (YouTube, iTunes and even RECORDED AxeII sound) but NOT live playing for monitoring

am I missing something super simple?

I prefer this setup so I don’t always have to have the AxeII on as my interface

thanks
Case

Just checked two threads down and see that what i want to do is likely not possible. Swear I used to run it this way :)

all good

You need to somehow connect your input to your output. Any DAW will do that. Or you can use Rogue Amoeba Loopback, or Black Hole.

Realistically though, it usually isn't a good idea to monitor your AxeFX via your computer. You should either put your AxeFX between your computer output and your monitors and use your AxeFX as your audio interface, or connect both your computer and one output of your AxeFX to your monitors (for example by plugging both of them into your audio interface).

You need to somehow connect your input to your output. Any DAW will do that. Or you can use Rogue Amoeba Loopback, or Black Hole.

Realistically though, it usually isn't a good idea to monitor your AxeFX via your computer. You should either put your AxeFX between your computer output and your monitors and use your AxeFX as your audio interface, or connect both your computer and one output of your AxeFX to your monitors (for example by plugging both of them into your audio interface).

That Roland has direct monitoring, so he can just plug the Axe into it. Doesn't have to software monitor if he wants to avoid latency..

I don't see any reason not to do it, unless he needs the inputs for something else.

As I mentioned above, it is best to monitor direct, instead of through the computer.

Caseygree: do you need the Quad Capture for input? if not, then just use the AxeFX as the audio interface. If you do need it for input, then simply create an aggregate device. Either of these options would be better than recording the AxeFX via the Quad Capture, since they give you the benefits of USB input.

As I mentioned above, it is best to monitor direct, instead of through the computer.

Caseygree: do you need the Quad Capture for input? if not, then just use the AxeFX as the audio interface. If you do need it for input, then simply create an aggregate device. Either of these options would be better than recording the AxeFX via the Quad Capture, since they give you the benefits of USB input.

The Roland has Direct Monitoring... It wouldn't be going through the computer.

Although if he uses both inputs for the Axe, it's sort of pointless using it as he'd be taking up all the inputs and he might as well just use the Axe as the interface and hook that up to his monitors instead.

As I have already mentioned twice above: yes, it is best to monitor direct. I'm providing caseygree with instructions on how to do that while at the same time enjoying the benefits of recording via an AxeFX usb connection. Caseygree, if you have any questions, let me know.

I have pretty much the same setup (just a PC instead of the Mac) and I have it set up like this:

The Quad-Capture is my main soundcard which my monitors are connected to. The Axe FX is connected to the Quad-Capture via SPDIF, so I can just turn it on when I want to play guitar/play along with backing tracks, etc.

For recording in my DAW, I use the Axe FX as my interface but I can still monitor everything through the Quad-Capture.

Back
Top Bottom