Can´t install the USB-driver.

When it “stops working” what actually happens, does Axe-Edit lock up or does it appear that everything is working but the connection just drops? Are you actually uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them or just re-installing them without uninstalling them first?

My recommendation would be make sure the Axe-Fx II is not connected and try uninstalling the drivers and removing any unknown devices in Device Manager. Once the drivers are uninstalled and the devices have been removed, reboot your computer. Try installing the drivers again following the installation instructions and using one USB port; don’t keep switching to different ports. Once the drivers are installed, try running it and see if it works. If it stops working again and you end up with an “unknown device” in Device Manager, try manually updating the drivers for the unknown device. Right click on the “unknown device” and select “Update Driver Software…” the select “Browse my Computer For driver software”. Select the location where the drivers are installed. It should be “C:\Fractal Audio Systems\Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer\Driver”. Once the driver is finished updating, try running it and see if it works, if it does I would try to make sure you always use the same port because Windows may try to re-install the driver again if you use a different port. If it appears that it is working after a while, try disconnecting the Axe-Fx II again and rebooting your computer. Then try connecting the Axe-Fx II again and see if it works or if it tries to re-install the driver again. If it tries to re-install the driver again and you end up with another “unknown device” you may need to repeat the manual driver installation.

Something else to check would be to make sure that the computer is not allowed to turn off the device to save power. It’s possible this could be causing the disconnection if there is some idle time during use. In Device Manager right click on your USB hubs, select “Properties” and then the “Power Management” tab and make sure the checkbox for “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” is not checked. You may need to check this for the Axe-Fx driver too but I don’t currently have it connected so I’m not sure if it has this option or not.

Hopefully, one of these will work good luck!

I'll just add to watch Rich said above because that's exactly what I'd do...he just wrote it a lot clearer.

The only thing that I'd check once you get it working again (even if its temporary) is try to see if its loading in Device Manager as an Axe-FXII device or something else. That will tell us whether it's loading the correct drivers for certain and then we should be able to figure out if its a hardware issue or a driver issue. I've had USB ports on motherboards that just don't work correctly no matter what. I remember a few years ago (ok, many years ago) I had to solder a resistor in parallel on a motherboard because the voltage just wasn't high enough to run a wireless USB NIC. I'm not saying to break out the soldering iron, I'm just saying that USB can be kind of flakey at times.

If you have the right drivers show up in Device Manager and it keeps dropping the next thing I'd do if it was me would be to chase down an add on USB card (not sure if you need PCI or PCIe or whatever), but they aren't that ridiculously expensive and you can eliminate the motherboard ports as being the problem.

To add to what shasha mentioned, there is another possible software fix which I purposely did not mention because it can hose your whole computer if you don’t know what you're doing. Unfortunately, Windows is notoriously bad at uninstalling drivers; there is almost always a bunch of stuff left behind in the registry and also in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. Which is why sometimes you can connect your new device and it’s not recognized, then you install the drivers and it works fine, but then when you uninstall everything and remove the device and then re-connect it again Windows still appears to load the driver again, although it may not work correctly. Anyway, if you are (or know) a Windows expert, you could try backing up the registry and then searching through it and removing any entries related to the FAS USB driver before trying to install it again. I’m not going to mention what they are or where they might be located because if you don’t know how to track them down you should not be attempting to do this. Just something to keep in mind if you are (or know) a Windows expert.

Hi, thanks alot for your answers :) . I uninstall the drivers (with CC cleaner) everytime. I am no PC-expert but I am not a noobie either, so somewhere in between. I search for "fas usb", "axe" and "fractal" and delete those files as well as uninstall.
But now I tried to install the drivers on four different PC:s, two with XP and two with Windows 7, one of them were restored to "fresh from the factory", so I really don´t think the problem lies within the PC:s or the USB-ports. That leaves the USB-cables or something inside the Axe, oooh, I SO hope it´s the cables that´s faulty, but I´ve tried three different cables so.. Or maybe it´s the drivers that doesn´t like my Axe (is that possible?). I´m in contact with the support and they are trying to get hold of the old drivers so I can try with them, but they can´t get hold of them. So does anybody here have old drivers lying around somewhere on the PC? In that case I would be really greatful to get a copy of those :) .

The only thing that I'd check once you get it working again (even if its temporary) is try to see if its loading in Device Manager as an Axe-FXII device or something else.

Hi, right now it´s working and it is loading as AXE FX II Audio under the sound, video and gamecontrollers in Device Manager, it´s not visible under the USB-section. Is there something more I should check before its stops working again?

So let me get this straight you've tried four different computers, 3 different USB cables and it didn't work on any of them? Unless every PC is the exact same motherboard and there's a potential problem with the USB ports on there I'd say that it looks like its either a bug in the drivers or the USB controller on the AxeFXII is flakey. You aren't going to get 4 machines that have the same issue. Now when you say 3 different USB cables are you talking about 3 different makes and models or 3 of the same type? There could just be a problem with the type of cable (there are USB1.1 and USB2.0 cables out there).

I'd say if the cable is absolutely eliminated from the equation that you've gone as far as you can go. Next step for me would be to go in and clear out all of my error logs and see if something related the AxeFXII comes up and send that to Fractal.

To add to what shasha mentioned, there is another possible software fix which I purposely did not mention because it can hose your whole computer if you don’t know what you're doing. Unfortunately, Windows is notoriously bad at uninstalling drivers; there is almost always a bunch of stuff left behind in the registry and also in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. Which is why sometimes you can connect your new device and it’s not recognized, then you install the drivers and it works fine, but then when you uninstall everything and remove the device and then re-connect it again Windows still appears to load the driver again, although it may not work correctly. Anyway, if you are (or know) a Windows expert, you could try backing up the registry and then searching through it and removing any entries related to the FAS USB driver before trying to install it again. I’m not going to mention what they are or where they might be located because if you don’t know how to track them down you should not be attempting to do this. Just something to keep in mind if you are (or know) a Windows expert.
Ahh, an old school guy here huh? :) Its been so long since I've had an issue that severe that I forgot all about digging through the system32 folder.

I never could get my system to work properly, but could through my friends Viao who is also running 64 bit windows 7. The only difference is that I'm running an Intel chipset and he isn't....I wonder if that's where the problem lies?

So let me get this straight you've tried four different computers, 3 different USB cables and it didn't work on any of them? Unless every PC is the exact same motherboard and there's a potential problem with the USB ports on there I'd say that it looks like its either a bug in the drivers or the USB controller on the AxeFXII is flakey. You aren't going to get 4 machines that have the same issue. Now when you say 3 different USB cables are you talking about 3 different makes and models or 3 of the same type? There could just be a problem with the type of cable (there are USB1.1 and USB2.0 cables out there).

Hi, yes that´s the situation right now. 2 out of 3 is USB 2.0 cables (different brands) and the third one I think is 2.0. I´m going to try a new cable today just to be shure. I hope it´s a bug that is fixable, otherwise I´m a little bit stuck here.

warlockII: What did the support say to you? What was their solution to the problem?

I didn't contact support...I thought the list would provide quicker answers. I haven't had a chance to go back and try to get my system up and running. My main objective was to get the latest firmware loaded as 5.01 didn't seem to like my mixing board as much as 5.04b does. I'll shoot you an email when I'm able to get my laptop and the axe to speak nicely to each other :D

I see, maybe it´s a good move to do so if you don´t get it to work :) .
I upgraded to the 5.04b-firmware but no difference for me.
Now I´ve tested my fourth USB-cable and nothing has changed so I believe that I safely can say that the problem is not related to the USB-cable or the PC, so what´s left then?

I never could get my system to work properly, but could through my friends Viao who is also running 64 bit windows 7. The only difference is that I'm running an Intel chipset and he isn't....I wonder if that's where the problem lies?
I'm running an Intel chipset as well, but it is a workstation.

hey tuff tuff,
I also experienced similar connection issues when starting mine- what I did was go to axe edit then settings and put axe fx for both midi in and out then it connected. I'm not sure if this is right but it works. Hope this helps.

Hi, I couldnt solve it so I sold my Axe (and of course told the buyer about the problem) and bought another Axe used. Before I sold it FAS told me that I could send it to them to repair but sell/buy locally was easier for me.

hi thanks ,the XL+ still in warranty i think . just report at support center . an audio tech in my city told this maybe because the broken of USB dirver chip ,waiting for FAS ,maybe need repair ,just bought from ebay lol

Back
Top Bottom