Call me crazy, but I might buy another one.

Well, sort of.

I've owned the AxeIIImk2 for about 6 months now and obviously have fallen head over heels in love. When I initially started browsing this forum I'd see some players with the Axe rack unit and also an FM3. All I could think was "why?". Seemed so pointless and like a waste of a grand.

Welp, here I am considering buying an FM3 too. It's funny how we always pursue more and more convenience. Selling all of my heavy amps and giant pedal board for the AxeIII and a FRFR cab was an amazing relief. No more hauling 70lb amps up and down stairs! Now it's just a light speaker and a rack unit!

...Now I dread the thought of unplugging my Axe from my computer, FRFR, FC12, and monitors in order to travel with it. When unplugged, all of the cables somehow disappear into the abyss behind my desk. I have to put on a headlamp and spelunking gear to go cord-diving behind by desk to retrieve all the necessary cables. It's so inconvenient. I'm attending a small Thanksgiving get-together and I know some guitarists in the family would appreciate experiencing a Fractal product, but I'm dreading the thought of having to take a whole 6 minutes out of my afternoon to pack it all up.

So naturally the FM3 feels like the perfect solution for playing on-the-go or impromptu kitchen table sessions.
I'm thinking this way with the FM3 as well. I am going to use the FM9 and a FC12 for live. But my backup will be a FM3 and also that can be my home use/practice rig too.

I’m even lazier. I have the III at home and can’t be bothered to bring it to the rehearsal room, so I’m still playing the AX8 when I’m going out. Why not, all the tones for my band are dialed in and sound great. I could get an FM3 to upgrade, but I don‘t feel like making new presets for each of the songs in our set.

For me a big appeal of the FM3 is the more compact size and way it sits on a table which makes its controls easily accessible. I always hated the rack form factor of my Axe-Fx Standard and 2. I don't see myself buying a rack or large floor format Fractal unit again. Give me compact with more DSP horsepower instead!

Just Do it!!!

I started with FM3 then went to AxeFX3 and now even considering a turbo. I am like you, I have unplugging. When I first got my FM3, I was moving it everywhere when I wanted to play, its super nice and portable - but it because an integral part of my system so decide to get the Axe3 for the main non-movable setup. Well, I did a big gig that I want my full setup, so I had to move that! So now I am considering a portable Axe3 solution for gigs, while I leave my studio one in place at all times and then I take the FM3 with me on travel and just around the house if I need to move rooms, etc.

I'll be honest though, I see a space in my life for another Axe3 vs say the FM9. While I am immediately drawn to new things, I dont think I'd find the FM9 portable in the sense I can travel with it (the FM3 you put in backpack or suitcase, have done both). I see the allure if you dont like rack mount but what 2 amps and more power like the Axe3.

I've actually bought real combo and amp heads post fractal because I wanted to understand if what I hear in fractal is the same, since when I started playing (10 months ago for guitar in general, 6 months ago for electric) I went right into fractal upon recommendation of a colleague and have loved it!

I'm nuts, too.... Axe FX II Turbo (upgraded twice from III Mk III and original Axe 3) with FC-12 and two expression pedals.
Have FM9 with an FC-12 and two expression pedals.
Axe III Turbo MkII is usualy main gigging and everything rig.

FM9 replaced Helix Floor so I'd finally have a church gig/backup rig that sounds like my main gigging rig (since
all of my presets translated to FM9 with no problems.

I bought the MkII and have it in my studio for recording and auditioning presets. My MKI is affixed in a giant rack for shows. Should something happen to it, I can swap them out while it gets repaired. I think this is totally reasonable for a gigging musician.

Last edited:
This thread is making me happy. I had been contemplating a second Fractal device for a long time. As I get older hauling gear around becomes more and more of a chore. I had been debating whether I want to get another FX III (probably a turbo and keep it at home permanently racked) or maybe use the FM9 as my rehearsal/live rig. I think this has tipped me over the edge into just making the decision of what I want as my "mobile" hardware and not feeling like I was being too excessive! Most of my hauling is from rehearsal back home. I'm ok with the rack for the gigs which were few to begin with and pretty much nothing these days. Once my name comes up for the FM9 I might have to give it a go first though just to see. I like the idea of having all the controls at my feet. I'll make a ton more use of the global and per preset control screens.

Back
Top Bottom