Caligula's Horse, another sample track from my Axe FX coated album

samvallen

Hi all,

So I posted a track called "Alone In The World" up on these forums a few months ago, to a great reception. Now that my album's almost finished, I thought I'd post another track to see if I can generate a little bit more interest....

The song's called "Equally Flawed", and along with "Alone In The World" it will be available for free download for the next few days.

www.samvallen.com

My album's called "Caligula's Horse", and I intend on having it finished by the end of this month. It's a fairly eclectic work, but it should appeal to fans of Frost*, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Pain Of Salvation and maybe even Steely Dan, Kate Bush or the Beatles if you can see through all of the heaviness.

Almost everything was done with the Axe FX, and although I've already posted most of the patches you'll hear in this track, if there's anything anybody's curious about I'll gladly explain/post.

The whole album features the sublime vocal skills of Jim Grey from the Brisbane progressive metal band Arcane, who can be heard here: www.arcanaustralia.com

Hi all,

So I posted a track called "Alone In The World" up on these forums a few months ago, to a great reception. Now that my album's almost finished, I thought I'd post another track to see if I can generate a little bit more interest....

The song's called "Equally Flawed", and along with "Alone In The World" it will be available for free download for the next few days.

www.samvallen.com

My album's called "Caligula's Horse", and I intend on having it finished by the end of this month. It's a fairly eclectic work, but it should appeal to fans of Frost*, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Pain Of Salvation and maybe even Steely Dan, Kate Bush or the Beatles if you can see through all of the heaviness.

Almost everything was done with the Axe FX, and although I've already posted most of the patches you'll hear in this track, if there's anything anybody's curious about I'll gladly explain/post.

The whole album features the sublime vocal skills of Jim Grey from the Brisbane progressive metal band Arcane, who can be heard here: www.arcanaustralia.com

This is really good Sam, I like it almost as much as the first song you posted. Post here again when the entire album is available.

I think you need to add Zappa to the listed influences. :)

The track: not my favorite music style, but very well done and great playing.
And an epic solo at the end!

If you don't mind me saying: the cymbals got on my nerves really quick.

BTW, your patches are on the old forum. Still downloadable, but probably corrupted.

I think you need to add Zappa to the listed influences. :)

If you don't mind me saying: the cymbals got on my nerves really quick.

Totally, I adore Zappa, and since you mention it there's a lot more guitar/marimba type things on the album itself, which is something he's very known for. A massive hero of mine.

And now that you mention it I may have gone a tad over the top with the overheads.... Might tweak those when I put the album up;) Thanks Yek.

Really great playing and tone. I enjoyed listening to it but a bit long for my taste but then I dont listen to progressive music much. Of the progressive music I have heard I have to say the best I have heard.

Thanks mate, that's a really great compliment. In saying that "Alone In The World" is by far the longest song on the album, and I'm inclined to agree that 11 minutes is bordering on the gratuitous...

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to check the tracks out. The album will be done around the 20th, and it'll be up for "Pay What You Want" download.

That was riveting... and a real treat to listen to, thanks. I loved everything about it!! Your creative composition ranks up there among the Greats of Prog.. Rock On!

Sounds great.....big fan of Frost.....also sounds like some of the heavier bits of ACT as well.
I have to say though......the cymbals are a major distraction for me......doesn't do anything at all for the songs.
The problem is they are too abundant, panned all over the place, and way up in the mix. It's hard to focus on what SHOULD be the focus here....the guitar.
Seriously great guitar work though!

Last edited:
Very flattered guys, thanks a lot!

Indeed, I'll be bringing the overheads down a bit when I put the album up, keep those cymbals in check..... The final session for the album's on Wednesday, it should be out fairly soon after;)

Also, I'm a massive fan of A.C.T! Funny you noticed that. Frost are obviously a given, Jem Godfrey is probably my biggest influence when it comes to composition.

Back
Top Bottom