Cali Leggy + Real Carvin Legacy Confusion

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Axe-Fx II (non-XL, Mark II, FW 17.04), and I figured the easiest way to migrate it into my live setup would be to start using it to simulate the front end of my (real) Carvin Legacy. But something's wrong!

I did this:
- Power amp and cab sims off in the Global menu
- Did an "Update amps defaults" and "Update Amps all presets" for good measure
- Ran one 1/4" inst. cable from "OUT1" (L) to the Legacy's effects return

I built a simple preset with just one block—AMP—and set it to "Cali Leggy". I set the block's main knobs to what I have on the Legacy's front panel (didn't touch any "advanced parameters"). So I'm only simulating the front end. Right?

Hit Standby on the Legacy, and bring up OUT1 via the front panel knob. And I get this thin, midrange-y, and harsh tone that I can't seem to dial into submission. It lacks dynamics, and the gain has an overall "distant" characteristic that I can't dial out. It sounds much more like a recording of something being played through my effects loop return. Doesn't sound like my Legacy.

So what am I missing? I've read up as much as I can, and I just don't get it. There couldn't be a phasing problem with only the AMP block... right (not sure how I would fix that anyway)?

Please help, and thanks! I want to start using this live ASAP.

Eric

I wouldn't count on the Leggy to sound like your real amp... been discussed a lot about how it's not like it, and Cliff doesn't have schematics or something.

have you tried using it with just an effect or two first, either in your legacy fx loop or just plugging right into your amps guitar input (guitar to axe to amp)? Might help to verify your levels are close with that then move up to bypassing your pre.

Ahhhh, good idea! Trying it in the loop might be an even gentler move into the world of Axe-Fx II. I'll try that at the practice space this weekend.

I love the Carvin Legacy. As for helping FAS with the Legacy model, I will send mine to them for cyber-dissection! But only when I can get a good sound live... kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.
Any other observations are totally welcome! Anyone have a "Legacy-like" amp model they enjoy?

After having _another_ 12AX7 go microphonic on stage, I just want to move to "incredible live tone with FAS" as quickly as possible.

Does your Legacy have a "Power Amp In" jack? You might using that vs. the effects return.

There is basically nothing on my wish list higher than an improved Carvin Legacy model for the Axe-Fx. If we get one...awesome, if we don't, I know there are dozens of other great options in the Axe. The Legacy is just an extremely cool amp.

Hi everybody,

Yeah, I went back and read about the Cali Leggy... thanks for the pointer!

My offer stands: though I'm new to FAS and I don't yet have a good live tone with the Axe-Fx II, I have faith in FAS--and I'd sacrifice my Legacy (V1, and one of the earliest made--won in Vai's 1999 contests!) to FAS to have this sweet and very idiosyncratic amp enter the FAS pantheon in full glory.

In the meantime, my understanding is that the Legacy is a simultaneous outgrowth of the Carvin X100B, the Bogner Ecstasy, and the Arredondo-modded "plexis" Vai used throughout his career. So I guess we can shoot for a HBE, a "Euro", or... anyone thought about a FAS equivalent to the Carvin X100B?

I believe that's what Vai used on "Blue Powder" and the "Album" with Johnny Rotten, and that's my favorite tone he's ever had!

The Leggy doesn't sound like a real legacy
It sounds like Instant-Vai

And I'd rather have that than a genuine authentic legacy sound
It's more bognerish to me

Eric, i have a Carvin Legacy vl100 and an AxeFx2 as an effect device.
first: cali leggy are so far of the Vai sound. it s a great guitar tone, but so near to a modern amp. Bogner xtc (euro blue in axefx is really close of your Legacy 1).
i did this (thanks to Thomas N. )

-about Axe fx: in Global , amps sims and cabs turn off. in I/O put the input in "rear" and turn up both boost/pad parameters.
you need to use an fxloop preset (send me your email as a message if you want it)

-About connections , you need 3 cables: one in "rear" input of your axefx2 to SEND in the Legacy LOOPfx. other cable, from RETURN of the VL100 to Output 1 of your Axefx2. and the last cable in front of the Carvin to your JEM guitar.

I use in front a Jemini Distortion, a DS-1 Keeley mod and a Morley wha. that is an instant vai sound. and of course! you need the volume of your carvin vl100 amp over 3 and plays good as Steve ! :)

Well, all right.

I spent a little time in the practice space, and this is what I did:
- I hooked up the Axe-Fx II's OUT1 (L) into the Legacy's effects loop return. Power amp and cab sims off.
- I scrolled through the FAS presets, tweaking the Global EQ until I got a sound that was consistently "good" from preset to preset. So now: I think my Global EQ is able to compensate for the coloration of my power amp and the cabinet.
- I levelled out and tweaked the EQ for all of the presets for my band's ~40 cover songs ('80s rock and metal, and I want to clone the bands' sounds as nearly as possible).
Set up the MFC to handle the scene changes.
- I pray that--for the shows this weekend--I will have great tones for the soundman mic-ing my cabinet!

I got good tones from the FAS Big Hair, the Brit 800, and the HBE. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me, when I work this way? I guess that my next step would be to feed these varying amps and setups to a global CAB block that the soundman could work with... until I get an Atomic CLR to obviate the need for Legacy entirely.

Thanks again!
Eric

Back
Top Bottom