Calendar Apps for those in multiple bands?

Keg8605

Power User
Hey guys- I've recently joined/started 2 additional bands for a total of 3 groups I am currently in. In an effort to make sure I'm organized and scheduled well for booking/dead dates I'm finding I need a calendar app that is better than the iphone calendar app. Basically my biggest problem currently is if I have a personal dead date, I can't make one entry that goes to all 3 calendars. Unless I'm mistaken of course.

What do you guys use to coordinate your bands and gigs?

Do you mean you can't make a single calendar entry that appears on all 3 other calendars? That's not an app limitation, it's more how any calendar service works.

Do you use iCloud? Google?

Are the calendars viewed by other people too or just you?

The usual solution is to share your personal calendar with other people as well so they see your busy vs available. So people make a personal-personal that no one sees too.

More details about your setup will help us help you more.

Do you mean you can't make a single calendar entry that appears on all 3 other calendars? That's not an app limitation, it's more how any calendar service works.

Do you use iCloud? Google?

Are the calendars viewed by other people too or just you?

The usual solution is to share your personal calendar with other people as well so they see your busy vs available. So people make a personal-personal that no one sees too.

More details about your setup will help us help you more.

I have my personal Google Calendar, and from inside the calendar, I created a 2nd calendar and then sent an invite email to my girlfriend. When I schedule an event, I can keep it personal, or make it show up in the shared calendar that she can also see. I can also check or uncheck each of my 2 calendars, to unclutter my calendar if I want to, or check them both, to look for obvious conflicts.

A lot of church ministries use a site called PLANNING CENTER ONLINE. They can list each band position and vocalists, and see who is available on a specific date, and on a specific instrument. For instance, if they need to schedule a drummer, the system pulls up the names of all the available drummers, and they can select one. That player receives an invitation email, which they can accept or decline. If they decline, and the director still needs to schedule a drummer, when he pulls up the list of available musicians, the guy that declined will not be selectable anymore. The players can also block out dates on the calendar, in advance, that they are unavailable to prevent them from being selected to play. And, if they are also scheduled at one of the church's campuses, another campus can't schedule them also (so you are never expected to be 2 places at once).

I think that is the most important part to solve YOUR issue - managing conflicts between 3 groups.

You might be able to share 1 calendar to all the members of your 3 bands, and ask them to log every event on that same calendar. The downside is, the other bands will see everything the other band is doing, and that might become an issue (not sure in your case). But it would keep your evenings being double booked. Of course, there might be a way to have a separate calendar for each band, and you have access to all 3, since you are in all 3, but the other players only have access to the calendar of the band they are in. You MIGHT be able to set things up to show you as busy or unavailable, when a gig gets scheduled on any of the calendars, so one of your other bands doesn't attempt to book you too.

We share a Google calendar. Works well. We setup it from a shared Google account we have for the band.

Yes, create a Google account for your band and then share the calendar of this account. Works very well.

Let me add some more info. I do think the sharing of a personal calendar might be my only option. However, in the one band our drummer does exactly this. You log into the band google calendar and you can see his personal calendar. However, the manager, can't see this on his phone. He gets the band calendar but can't see the drummer's shared calendar. So he has to use a computer to see the drummers personal one.

One band is new and currently setting up our calendar. The other is ancient and just has a simple online calendar that I don't think I can even get on my phone (Going to have to see if I can convert them to this century). My main band uses gmail/google. I have yahoo as my email and have it setup as a google account.

It would just be nice to make an event (dead Date) and select the 3 calendars, so that it shows up on each one for the rest to see. Bare with me as these online calendars and ways to sync them to the phone are not something I'm super savy with.

Last edited:
It's just not how calendars work. You don't make an event and choose multiple calendars for it to populate to. Besides, then you'd see 3 copies of the same thing.

What kind of phone does the manager have? With older setups, google calendars needed some additional settings to be viewable with mobile. I'd say from 3 years ago, adding the account correctly would work no problem on mobiles.

I wish everyone would revamp how their calendar service works. It is a struggle.

I actually figured it out finally. Thanks for the help. I found this link and it pretty much took care of what I was looking to do for the "shared" calendar sync to the phones. https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect

Basically I made my own gmail calendar and shared it with the band google calendars. Then shared the bands back to me. Hard to explain but now I just copy all the gigs/rehearsals from each schedule to my own. Luckily with the iphone you can select which calendar to view too so its not cluttered but I can now get to any of the schedules to view.

no worries! Just knew people here probably have had the same issue as me with multiple bands and already had good ways of keeping things organized. I do wish there was some way for me to allow any events added to each band calendar, to be copied on my calendar so that each band "manager" could see any change to my personal schedule instantly. Probably could complicate things to much but then I wouldn't have to copy each practice/event.

After reading this thread I decided to start a Google Calendar for my band.

Maybe those who use Google Calendar could offer some tips? Currently I just add an event to a day that I have a gig. I don't put a time in so it makes it an "All Day Event". Is this the right way to do this? I don't want to tie it to a time. I just want it to show that I have a gig that day and where it is.

Also, when printing the agenda I would like it to show up like this:

Fri Oct 10, 2014 - Jake's
Sat Oct 11, 2014 - Shady Grove

Fri Oct 17, 2014 - Pete's Sports Bar
Sat Oct 18, 2014 - Fair Weather Tavern

I don't want all the details showing up like who entered the data or that it's an all day event... I know I could print to a pdf, copy/paste to a Word doc then edit it... but that's too much. I just want to print the simplified agenda. Are there any programs or apps that will do this?

I thought the tried and tested tradition was all guitarists relied on getting calls from the rest of the band a couple of days before the gig to make sure they were turning up?

Back
Top Bottom