Cable choices and how to route for axfx 2, matrix and furman

Clayton stadler

hey everyone new to the axe fx 2 and I’m sure it’s on this forum somewhere but I couldn’t find it. I’m trying to get some feedback on what cables and where to plug everything in and organize my 6 u rack with my Furman axe fx and matrix. I’m running into an orange 1000w. Would love to hear your feedback and own experiences with different setups

I typically put power conditioner in the top of the rack... Because mine has lights, so it lights up everything below it.

I put the Axe Fx near the bottom because it is deep and heavy.

Actually, I have a front of rack panel on the very bottom so all my cables into and out of the rack are at the bottom and out of the way. I never open the back of my rack case.

Matrix goes in the middle.

Axe Fx Output 2 L/R goes to Matrix via 1/4" George Ls cables.

Matrix outputs go rack panel via speakon cables... Then fed to Xitone passive wedges via speakon cables.

I have something similar. Samson Power Brite for power, Axe FX and a Matrix. The Samson is basically a glorified power strip. But its nice to be able to switch everything on or off with a single knob. Plus it has lights. Samson sits at the top, Matrix (as it is the heaviest), at the bottom, the Axe FX in between, together with a front rack panel with all my connections, because I hate having to fumble in the darkness of a stage in the back of a rack case.

The way I've routed it is:
- guitar input in the front input of the Axe
- unbalanced outputs L & R to the Matrix,
- balanced outputs L & R to a pair of XLR connectors on the front rack connector panel if I want to go straight into the FOH mixer.
- Matrix outputs L & R to a pair of jack connectors on the front rack connector panel if I want to use some cabs.

There's some other stuff in there too. 2 Korg Kaoss pads into a 6 in 2 out rack mixer, provisions to insert a keyboard via the front rack connector panel into that rack mixer as well, and 2 additional XLR outputs on the front rack connector panel for that mixer to send my Kaoss pads and keyboard signal into a FOH mixer as well. But that's basically a completely separate non-guitar related setup.

thanks for your input guys. im mostly gonna be running into my orange 1000w cab so ill run my l and r out of my matrix into the cab. whats this ive heard of mono bridged mode. i dont think ill have volume issues without it and it sounds like you can do some damage to your speakers in that mode.

d1b096_a750fd1f53414e1689dbea0fe96355a8~mv2.jpg

Everything plugs into the Furman for power. I still use that older Shure wireless and that blue cable to go into the Axe. From the Axe I have some (I believe) Monster cables to the Matrix. Then Speakon cables from Matrix to the 4x12. I sometimes run two 4x12 cabs.

FWIW - I run balanced out of Axe Fx to Matrix with 1’ cables (w nuetrik connectors). 1/4” (in stereo) speaker cables out to a pair of cabs. Furman DMC+ on top. I have the Matrix 2U GT1000 on the bottom.

If you’re mono, I’d imagine you could run 1/2 of this. If you have a Matrix GT1000FX, I wouldn’t bridge it - that’s a lot of juice! (Unless somehow you're power limited)

Last edited:
FYI, the front of your matrix 1000, next to the attenuator knobs are bright blue LEDs. If these are blinking on, IIRC you are -6 or -12dB from clipping/max output. For me, that is damned loud into 4 V30s. Too loud generally.
i just found a really good deal on the gt1000 used so i got that one. hopefully i can get it to not clip

thsnks mjlongo. could you post a picture of the back of your devices if you get a chance

I finally took some pics of the back of my rig.

First shot is the overall back of the rack. You can see I use two lava cables from the AxeFX that then go to the Matrix Power amp. On the far right hand side, you can see my power cables bundled up with velcro straps. The white cable is the RJ45 that goes out to my MFC. The square power cable velcro'ed to the top of the case is for my Shure wireless.

23592227_1694927867186711_3104015385902627673_o.jpg

The next close up is of the Lava cables coming out of the AxeFX

23593775_1694927860520045_266689637706906955_o.jpg

The next close up is of the Lava cables plugged into the Matrix power amp

23551245_1694927853853379_2033967831482468141_o.jpg

The next close up is of the SpeakOn cables that then go out to my Marshall 4x12 cab(s)

23591984_1694927917186706_7135682609890187900_o.jpg

That's it man! Hope that helps!!

Back
Top Bottom