CabLab vs cab block for recording - Any real difference?

deathbyguitar

Power User
I'm torn between fully committing to tones on the Axe on the way in vs "re-cabbing" using CabLab while mixing. Is there any real difference between these two in this scenario? Shouldn't they sound/behave exactly the same if I'm not using any EQ/Saturation settings in the cab block? Does the amp block interact with the cab block to begin with? IIRC, speaker impedance was moved into the amp block on the Axe-FX II for this exact purpose, but I don't remember.

The industry standard procedure is to record both a guitar DI track and the amp/cab track(s) at the same time.

Then you can re-amp with an entirely different amp, or just different cab settings, or anything you need etc, PLUS, the DI track gives you much better waveform to edit with verses a compressed amp waveform.

That said, Cab Lab stand alone is buggy and not a priority for fixes it seems, though I haven't used the Cab Lab plugin so I can't comment on it.

Last edited:
Latency. You'll have more latency doing real time processing through your DAW and monitoring via software than you would running a cab block directly in the Axe III since your DAWs full round trip latency would be inserted into your monitoring path. For reamping that's largely a non-issue though. Only when trying to track and monitor in real time is latency a issue.

I got the impression from the context, that he's saying he'd monitor the cab block while tracking, but commit a un-cabbed track. To be processed in mixing.
I'd monitor through the CabLab plugin while tracking or through my DAW using the cab block. I monitor through my DAW when tracking anything so latency should be the same with either. Also having an RME interface keeps latency to an absolute minimum. I think I'm gonna to a head-to-head comparison today and see what happens.

I'd probably just record a DI, which gives you the flexibility to not only re-cab but re-amp as well. When I do this, I usually also end up printing the effects.

was doing it for a while, till the moment i realised it adds nothing but complexity to my work flow, slow downs the creative process.

Unless you are recording for someone else and you want to give them more freedom for later on, i would commit to a tone/setting and keep on making music instead of tweaking knobs with a mouse.

Back
Top Bottom