CabIR and Valhallir - same company?

Pelikanen

Inspired
I was looking around for Marshall 1960 IR's with G12T-75's and I stumbled upon these two companies. They both sell very similar products with similar pricings. They even use the same pictures. Does anyone know if they are the same company or if they're selling the same products? I don't wanna buy from both to find out it's the same product.

I'm not part of both companies, but being active on the german fractal forum, I know a bit about the history of both and how they are connected:

cabir.eu was founded after the guys shot an IR pack of a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks at the german Axefest, which they chose not to give away, but to sell. For this they needed a platform. The team consisted of several members, e.g. @Morphosis and @funkstation777 and @tomstu. tomstu was responsible for the technical stuff, placing the mics etc. They went to the Marshall Museum and shot the IRs for the "UK Triple Collection Vol. 1 - 3". tomstu did the placement of the mics according to his technique.

However the team parted because of certain differences, which I don't know in detail and which aren't important to answer your question. After the separation cabir.eu continued and valhallir.at was founded. tomstu is now part of valhallir.at, so is funkstation777.

So when valhallir.at went to the Marshall Museum again for their "Britain's finest", they intended to shoot new IRs of the cabs used for the UK Triple Collection with a new set of mics. But they chose not to shoot them again with the mics they already used for the cabir.eu pack. So those IRs are (audibly) identical. There are differences in the post-processing, but they say it's not audible.

I guess the pricing is similar, simply because both vendors think those prices are fair. They use the same pics, I guess because they share the rights for those pics.

Is this enough information to answer your questions?

edit: I confused tomstu and oson00 ... Sorry about that :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Like axifist said. Tom (my "tech chief" at Valhallir.at) has invented the sweet spot-method for the Marshall-Museum shootings an did all the mic-shots.
As a huge Marshall-fan he wanted to share those IRs with his processing from day one. My idea was, if we ever release those cab packs as Valhallir.at, there had to be new shots with all the cool mikes, that we did not have when we did it for cabir.eu, like the VR1, RNR1, Neumann U87, AKG D 202, sE4400 and even more shots with the Sm7B or SM57.
The difference to cabir.eu is also, that we don't do. mix-irs on the Britain's Finest and add no "tube or resonance flavour"
And, btw, the T75 loaded Anniversary cab is one of the cabs, where we did not want to make new shots. Imho, this cab is boring as f**k, so you would not have any benefit from buying that cab pack a second time from us. The cabir.eu pack has mixes and different "flavours" ....so if you are looking for some T75 loaded cab, you should take this.
We also added some additional cabs like the great sounding White AX (Greenback loaded) or the 1960TV to the pack....so, additional to the tons of great IRs, we shot with the new mikes, there is still some benefit for people , who are not sure, if they need the same cab twice.
As Tom has also improved his technique in the last years, so we did get some really nice shots from the cabs we shot years before Valhallir.at

Regards,
Andy from Valhallir.at

Back
Top Bottom