Cabinet Room Size, Mic Spacing

grape

Experienced
Does anyone of have audio examples of how these settings affect the sound? One thing I miss in the Ultra is a way to shape the sound like you would with mic position, quantity, and type. GR4 allowed lots of combinations and while some would say GR pales in quality compared to the AxeFX, I say that you can achieve very nice sounds with it. I'm hoping that the new settings on the AxeFX II compares to that aspect of GR's flexibility. I assume the "mic from the rear" sound can still only be achieved by using an IR that was created from mic-ing a physical cab from the rear... not sure how many of those exist.

Anyway, if any of the beta testers could relate their experience with the new cabinet settings, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm leaning towards switching to a II for the USB and better modeling. If the new cab settings are extremely good, then I won't hesitate.

Quite a few IR's exist of rear cab mics, the Redwirez packs come with the rear mic in several different positions, IR mic'ing should give you all the flexibility you need, I agree I hope the new cab block features make room sound easier(and I'm sure they do), but it can be achieved with a little work on an ultra

Does anyone of have audio examples of how these settings affect the sound? One thing I miss in the Ultra is a way to shape the sound like you would with mic position, quantity, and type. GR4 allowed lots of combinations and while some would say GR pales in quality compared to the AxeFX, I say that you can achieve very nice sounds with it. I'm hoping that the new settings on the AxeFX II compares to that aspect of GR's flexibility. I assume the "mic from the rear" sound can still only be achieved by using an IR that was created from mic-ing a physical cab from the rear... not sure how many of those exist.

Anyway, if any of the beta testers could relate their experience with the new cabinet settings, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm leaning towards switching to a II for the USB and better modeling. If the new cab settings are extremely good, then I won't hesitate.

I believe when you change mic positions with the G4, it's just changing an EQ filter.

KG

I believe when you change mic positions with the G4, it's just changing an EQ filter.
KG

That makes sense. Whatever it is, I find it as an effective way to obtain interesting sounds. Some of the GR sounds are really hard to replicate on an AxeFX Ultra and that was part of the reason. I didn't realize that RedWirez has back of cab IR's so I'll have to look into that.

I'm looking forward to hearing the impact of the new settings. I'm much more of a headphone mixer than a physical cab in the room type of guy so these settings are important to me.

Back
Top Bottom