Cabinet input parameter

Hello Everyone,

I have work I hope is an easy question that I can explain. I set up a few presets before a practice. I threw a couple of blocks in order, and set up for stereo. At practice, once I was plugged in to the mixer I was noticing and that only the left side was working. I check my cables in everything was good. I then checked the meters in the AX8 in it showed that only one side was working. I then switched the cabinet block input to summed left and right in then I got signal on both sides again. When I switch did back the stereo I only got one side again. I am running a Big Sky through the loop just so everybody is clear on my set up. But it seems is though that setting has a direct impact on the left and right outputs of the cabinet itself and I want to run in stereo. Why would setting the cab block to stereo take away one side when everything else seems to be set up correctly in panned appropriately?Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello Everyone,

I have work I hope is an easy question that I can explain. I set up a few presets before a practice. I threw a couple of blocks in order, and set up for stereo. At practice, once I was plugged in to the mixer I was noticing and that only the left side was working. I check my cables in everything was good. I then checked the meters in the AX8 in it showed that only one side was working. I then switched the cabinet block input to summed left and right in then I got signal on both sides again. When I switch did back the stereo I only got one side again. I am running a Big Sky through the loop just so everybody is clear on my set up. But it seems is though that setting has a direct impact on the left and right outputs of the cabinet itself and I want to run in stereo. Why would setting the cab block to stereo take away one side when everything else seems to be set up correctly in panned appropriately?Thank you in advance for your help.
Do you have your big Sky wired in stereo?
Obviously make sure all previous blocks are center panned and also check pan and level settings for your individual IRs in the cab block.

Yes I originally thought it was the Big Sky. But the meters on the AX8 was showing me that I was getting the issue from the AX8 not the Big Sky. Once I actually set the input from stereo to some left and right then I got left and right input meters working and everything was fine.

Did you configure a second cab for stereo? Inserting only 1 cab, gives you only one side. That's why when you sum, you're hearing both L&R
upload_2019-3-22_10-21-16.png.

I saw that too. But over to the right where the says the input is in stereo. But I only get one side until I switch it to some L + R. And it is coming from the AX8 itself when Even with the effects loop block completely off.

I'll add that the effects that come after the block are in stereo in that part works great, including the Big Sky so it's something that's I'm doing wrong in the AX8 itself.

That shouldn't cause this issue, Left only just copies the L channel on the R.
I distinctly remember chasing my tail trying to run stereo with the FX8. When set to Left Only on the FX8, sound only came through the left side. The Right only worked if set to Stereo or SUM L/R.

I distinctly remember chasing my tail trying to run stereo with the FX8. When set to Left Only on the FX8, sound only came through the left side. The Right only worked if set to Stereo or SUM L/R.
I don't know if the FX8 works differently but I doubt it.
The whole purpose of that setting is to have the signal on both sides when you plug in just one cable.
Probably it was the other way around in your case, you were entering with a mono signal but the input was set to Stereo.

I don't know if the FX8 works differently but I doubt it.
The whole purpose of that setting is to have the signal on both sides when you plug in just one cable.
Probably it was the other way around in your case, you were entering with a mono signal but the input was set to Stereo.
I love how people seem to know the setups of others and the things they did "wrong" when running into issues.:rolleyes:

FYI, in my particular case, all amps to FX8 connections were correct yet only the Left amp was heard, no sound from the right amp at all. Once I discovered the IN 2 (FX RTN) MODE parameter in SETUP and changed it to STEREO, both amps were heard and the Stereo effects worked as they should. Change back to LEFT ONLY and again no sound from the Right amp. No reconfiguring of cables was required.

From the AX8 Manual - Page 83:

"IN 2 (FX RTN) MODE:

LEFT ONLY – The usual setting for mono, utilizing only the IN 2 L jack."

Admittedly, many devices allow the user to choose between the Left or Right jack for mono, some may suggest using the Left or have "MONO" labelled on the Left jack as well, so it's easy to presume they all do.

Hello Everyone,

Is the Fx Loop block before or after the cab block?

Show us your preset layout or upload the preset so we aren’t guessing.

The cab block Input only affects what’s before the cab block and typically does not need to be set to stereo.

I love how people seem to know the setups of others and the things they did "wrong" when running into issues.:rolleyes:

FYI, in my particular case, all amps to FX8 connections were correct yet only the Left amp was heard, no sound from the right amp at all. Once I discovered the IN 2 (FX RTN) MODE parameter in SETUP and changed it to STEREO, both amps were heard and the Stereo effects worked as they should. Change back to LEFT ONLY and again no sound from the Right amp. No reconfiguring of cables was required.
The only explanation is that the Fx8 works differently then (but that sounds more like a bug than a proper way to work).

In the ax8 and Axe fx II, if you have the input set to Left Only the signal gets to both outputs, it basically copies the left input signal on the right channel.
I just verified it to be sure.

From the AX8 Manual - Page 83:

"IN 2 (FX RTN) MODE:

LEFT ONLY – The usual setting for mono,
utilizing only the IN 2 L jack."
Yes, that's the usual setting for a mono input but the output can still be set to stereo, and again, in that case the signal is being copied on the right channel.

Admittedly, many devices allow the user to choose between the Left or Right jack for mono, some may suggest using the Left or have "MONO" labelled on the Left jack as well, so it's easy to presume they all do.
And all those devices usually do exactly what I said, copy the left input channel to both L and R outputs.
That's how my power amp and my old Pod HD fx loop work, for example.

Last edited:
The only explanation is that the Fx8 works differently then (but it sounds more like a bug than a proper function).

In the ax8 and Axe fx II, if you have the input set to Left Only the signal gets to both outputs, it basically copies the left input signal on the right channel.
I just verified to be sure.

Yes, that's the usual setting for a mono input but the output can still be set to stereo, and again, in that case the signal is being copied on the right channel.

And all those devices usually do exactly what I said, copy the left input channel to both L and R outputs.
That's how my power amp and my old Pod HD fx loop work.
Not going to argue with you. Might want to consider the possibility though that you might be wrong. ;) Good luck my friend.

Not going to argue with you. Might want to consider the possibility though that you might be wrong. ;) Good luck my friend.

Did you notice this sentence in my post?
I just verified it to be sure.
It implies that I already considered that possibility but it wasn't the case.
Maybe you should consider that possibility too and verify by yourself, especially if what you experienced happened long time ago when you were unfamiliar with the device.

Good luck to you!

The FX8 I/O is different than the Cab block Input section. Not sure how that entered this conversation.

Unless the issue is directly with Input/Ouput 2 on the AX8, and even then it’s only slightly related, discussing the FX8 in regards to an AX8 issue is a bit off topic.

The FX8 I/O is different than the Cab block Input section. Not sure how that entered this conversation.

Unless the issue is directly with Input/Ouput 2 on the AX8, and even then it’s only slightly related, discussing the FX8 in regards to an AX8 issue is a bit off topic.
We discussed the possibility that, as JoKeR III suggested, the input 2 mode setting could cause the OP's issue.

I just verified that it cannot be the cause on the ax8 cuz the signal reaches both L and R outputs regardless of that setting.

End of story

PS: the OP should set it to "stereo" anyway, otherwise he would lose the stereo image of the BigSky once he solves his issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom