Cab suggestions for Axe III Mark II and Matrix GT1600FX

dharq

Inspired
Cab Suggestions for Axe III Mark II and Matrix GT1600FX

I'm looking for some Ideas here, I was thinking about Mesa Boogie 2x12 or Marshall 1936 some mentioned the Gemini 2 from Mission Engineering, CLR Neo II but they seem hard to find. Since I have the power amp I figured it would give me some more flexibility to speaker cabs. I am not opposed to a 4x12. Is it more recommended to use a FRFR passive or can I use any Decent Guitar Cab to get a decent tone.

Thanks.

There's a whole subjection for amps and cabs, with a lot of threads on this topic. I'd start there.

But I use the axe 3 with my 2 headrush frfr cabs more than using my matrix gt1600 and Engl cab. Sounds fuller with frfr cabs imo.

With FRFR you will get a great miced up cab/recording/studio tone. With reasonable , ear friendly volume levels.

With matrix and traditional guitar cab you will get great amp in the room tone...but traditional guitar cab needs a certain volume level to get the tone
/feel you are after. It will need much more volume than FRFR.

And in the end it also entirely depends
on what you are used to, if you are ok with FRFR or guitar Cab or with both...is different for everyone. I would suggest, if possible try both simultaneously, and take your time. If you are a years long Amp in the room guy and recorded played that way...FRFR might feel weird at first. Or it can be the other way around. Since the pandemic started %99 of the time i am recording in my studio using studio monitors. When i switch to cab lately i feel like i need some time to reset my mind/ears for it.

I have a pair of KRK G4 8" monitors now .. while I decide .. I have tried QSC 12.2 powered speakers not bad but definitely not a amp in the room feel .. I might try a real cab then :)

thanks guys

I have a pair of KRK G4 8" monitors now .. while I decide .. I have tried QSC 12.2 powered speakers not bad but definitely not a amp in the room feel .. I might try a real cab then :)

thanks guys
Celestion F12-x200 frlr. Handles IRs nicely and gives that amp feel. Much more enjoyable than my Headrush FRFR12s or Yamaha studio monitors.

Back
Top Bottom