Cab question on shared patches

is9582

Power User
I just recently bought my Ultra and was wondering if someone might provide some insight into what could just be a perceived issue by a noob. :?

I noticed that a downloaded patch from axe-change doesn't sound like expected. When I looked through the patch, I noticed the cab is describing User slot cab info, rather than a cab that is native to the system. Is it possible for a user to download IRs and save into their User Cab slots, then upload a patch that references what may not exist on other's Axes? Does it work like I'm thinking?? Wouldn't this type of an issue cause a drastic difference in sound? Not having the experience of many here, it would seem the files (IRs that were loaded into the Axe of the person who saved the patch) not residing on the end users Axe would be a problem. If this is as it seems, what cab would be loaded inlieu of the expected IRs?

I'd really appreciate some input and suggestions.

Thanks,

Lee

Welcome!

Check this:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... ser_cab.29

In short: yes, users can upload additional cabinet emulations (Impulse Responses = IRs) into the Axe-Fx. This expands the range of modeled cabs. And those extra IRs can contain specific microphones and positions of microphones. Red Wirez IRs are popular among others. There are also free IRs.

This does influence the sharing of presets indeed. Users will not have the same experience (not only due to cab info though: guitars, pickups, method of amplifications are other factors). You can install the same IR (you have to buy or download it first), or substitute it with a stock cab. Check the Wiki Cab List for info: http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... imulations

Thanks for the quick response. Your information and links help a lot. I still have a lot to learn on this great product. :)

One question I still have, which is probably not truly important, but I'm still curious if any cab is substituted by the Axe for a missing User Slot cab that is referenced in a patch. If not, is that why it might sound so hollow and thin and even raspy?

is9582 said:
Thanks for the quick response. Your information and links help a lot. I still have a lot to learn on this great product. :)

One question I still have, which is probably not truly important, but I'm still curious if any cab is substituted by the Axe for a missing User Slot cab that is referenced in a patch. If not, is that why it might sound so hollow and thin and even raspy?

The Axe doesn't substitute a missing user cab, you gotta select a stock cab yourself.
The raspy sound can be caused by the specific preset, I can't tell.

If you have nothing saved in that slot, you are essentially hearing the amp without a cab... and yes, it'll sound like bees in a jar.

Great info. I'd read a bunch of posts prior to pulling the trigger on buying the Ultra, but don't recall reading anything talking specific to this. I'm sure glad this forum is here, with all of the experienced users willing to assist.

Thanks again. :D

Lee

Back
Top Bottom