Cab preamp settings?

jephjacques

Inspired
Been playing around with the preamps in the cab block- they're pretty subtle to my ears but do seem to add a little something to more gainy presets. Just wondering how folks like to set theirs and if there are any tips or tricks people recommend.

I love the cab preamps! My default is usually drive at 2 saturation at 1. then I dial in to taste if need be.

I have the preamp type, drive, and saturation added to my global performance page for easy access while I'm playing. Helps dial it in in the moment.

I usually gravitate towards the tape 35, vintage, transformer, and tube. All depending on how my ears are feeling at the moment lol.

But the tube with drive around 4 is really nice for a loud clean tone.

I love the cab preamps! My default is usually drive at 2 saturation at 1. then I dial in to taste if need be.

I have the preamp type, drive, and saturation added to my global performance page for easy access while I'm playing. Helps dial it in in the moment.

I usually gravitate towards the tape 35, vintage, transformer, and tube. All depending on how my ears are feeling at the moment lol.

But the tube with drive around 4 is really nice for a loud clean tone.
I usually have mine set similar and using Tape 35 as well.

Woah!! Thank you all for this thread. I was trying to find a solution to a clean preset with bit too much sizzle or high end. I'm able to make it gel with these parameters. I went with Tube, Drive at 4 and Sat at 2, as suggested above. I had a compressor in the chain but this sort of makes up for what it was providing. And I'm able to roll of the nasty fizz. I'm also using the Dyna cabs for this one. If my ears aren't tired, I think I've settled on my SRV preset. Thanks!!

I crank the drive until it's almost clipping. Amazing to get that character with zero noise. I set the saturation to around 1.5 (according to the wiki it controls the ratio of even/odd harmonics). Usually use transformer type bc it reminds me of a 1073. Would like to know which one is closest to an API.

Sounds amazing on acoustic too, just pick the "TOTALLY FLAT" factory IR so you're just getting the sound of the mic preamp section.

Last edited:
Woah!! Thank you all for this thread. I was trying to find a solution to a clean preset with bit too much sizzle or high end. I'm able to make it gel with these parameters. I went with Tube, Drive at 4 and Sat at 2, as suggested above. I had a compressor in the chain but this sort of makes up for what it was providing. And I'm able to roll of the nasty fizz. I'm also using the Dyna cabs for this one. If my ears aren't tired, I think I've settled on my SRV preset. Thanks!!
YES man the tube preamp does wonders for that exact tone!

I crank the drive until it's almost clipping. Amazing to get that character with zero noise. I set the saturation to around 1.5 (according to the wiki it controls the ratio of even/odd harmonics). Usually use transformer type. Would like to know which one is closest to an API.
Can you link this part from the wiki, would like to read more about it.

I love to crank the preamps in the cab block just below red. Smooths out the sound a bit as well combined with the speaker compression and speaker drive in the amp block. I go with any of them depending what flavour I want.

Back
Top Bottom