Cab Pack 8 Now Available!

M@, can you elaborate on the minimum phase transform or lack of?

I've just seen it mentioned in other threads and this one a little bit.

My understanding was, all IR's were MP transformed in the .wav -> .syx conversion but not in real time in the CAB block?

First of all I want to thank everyone who's already purchased the IRs. It really means a lot to me to be a small part of guitar tone evolution and once again I have to thank Cliff and Matt (+staff) for all the appreciation, trust and respect which is obviously mutual. Like Matt said there are amazing guitarists (plural!) that I've respected for years before shooting IRs who have already accepted these IRs as their main IRs so there will be no marketing talk here. The product will speak for itself. :) Once again thank you to FAS and everyone who spends their time trying these IRs out.

2 hours since I bought Cab Pack 8 , and can't stop playing .....almost , I took a break to tell you how HUGE the sound is with any amp from Fw18 ....Ok , back to playing now , lucky me;)

:) Thank you dpavel! The Alloy Aces folder itself is what I've been using most of the time. :) I wasn't a M... Brit guy before... I am one now. FW18 Brit 800 and Freidman HBE are so crystal clear with these.

M@, can you elaborate on the minimum phase transform or lack of?

I've just seen it mentioned in other threads and this one a little bit.

My understanding was, all IR's were MP transformed in the .wav -> .syx conversion but not in real time in the CAB block?

I'll try to explain it. :) The non-MPT'd files in Cab Pack 8 are in .ir format which are intended to be used with Cab-Lab 3 where you have options to do MPT or trim them automatically. MPT is still the best way to ensure that these IRs are in phase with other IRs that are MPT'd. However in Cab-Lab 3 you have the ability to fine tune phases so essentially you can still blend your favorite MPT'd IRs with the non-MPT'd IRs but you need to do it in Cab-Lab 3.

Non-MPT'd files are not in phase with other IRs but deliver a more authentic sound since it retains the phase information which is deleted in the MPT process. The easiest way to describe the difference is that MPT'd IRs are really direct sounding and have sharper transients where as non-MPT'd IRs are more smeared and authentic and have a smooth and warm snap to them. It's a subtle difference. :)

M@: You should consider adding demos of all cab packs to the shopping page so we can listen directly! Even if CK posts demos here now for me since I asked about it, other users browsing the store won't see them..
Just a thought :)

M@: You should consider adding demos of all cab packs to the shopping page so we can listen directly! Even if CK posts demos here now for me since I asked about it, other users browsing the store won't see them..
Just a thought :)

That's definitely a good idea. Not everyone using the Axe-Fx is on this forum so they may not get a taste before purchasing.

Wow.

These really are some of the best produced, most versatile, useful, and truest sounding IRs with the AXE FX I've come across so far on any platform.

Great mic combination mixes that are ready to roll in addition to individual mics, and all the major mic flavors covered well. Any cab flavor you want is available.

Love that these are for Greenbacks in the TV cab, so asking here next that "Clark Kent" do another round every bit as good but using the V30s in the same Marshall 4X12 TV Cab with the same mic formulas -- and I'd be all set for great 4x12 IR choices forever!

Congrats to Fractal Audio for this Cab Pack, well done!

Last edited:
Wow.

These really are some of the best produced, most versatile, useful, and truest sounding IRs with the AXE FX I've come across so far on any platform.

Great mic combination mixes that are ready to roll in addition to individual mics, and all the major mic flavors covered well. Any cab flavor you want is available.

Love that these are for Greenbacks in the TV cab, so asking here next that "Clark Kent" do another round every bit as good but using V30s -- and I'd be all set for great 4x12 IR choices forever!

Congrats to Fractal Audio for this Cab Pack, well done!

Thank you so much austinbuddy! That really means a lot. Actually the Cab Pack 7 that I did right before Cab Pack 8 has V30s (darker V30s custom made for an "USA" company). Cab Pack 9 will be an "Euro" cabinet with regular Chinese V30s. The next "Brit" cab that I'm doing will most likely have the regular English V30s in it. :)

Anyways here's a video of me using Cab Pack 7 with a Strat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_QSwQxyvc8

Yo Clark, your IR's are the best! this "colorless" method is the next level! it's like night and day compared to other impulses out there. I pretty much no longer get so much ear fatigue when using your IR's. A problem I've had with every single IR in my library, and I pretty much have them all! Head & shoulders above man :D
Keep them coming!

Hi Clark,

Downloaded Cab Pack 8 yesterday evening. Love them, just as your Cab Pack 7! I'm in a Thin Lizzy tribute (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgjg_9uNy4), so the Greenbags are very welcome.

Maybe I'm overthinking this too much, but I see in your presets that you do a Low Cut of 111 and a High Cut of 11111 in the cab block. Is this your standard when going direct out in a live gig? I see other people having settings like 80/5500, 80/15000 etc.
This subject is mentioned before, but I'm puzzled...

Yo Clark, your IR's are the best! this "colorless" method is the next level! it's like night and day compared to other impulses out there. I pretty much no longer get so much ear fatigue when using your IR's. A problem I've had with every single IR in my library, and I pretty much have them all! Head & shoulders above man :D
Keep them coming!

That is exactly what I'm going for so I'm happy that it comes across. Clear, clean, authentic... essentially my goal is to shoot IRs of these cabs so that no one has to do it again. :) And that ear fatigue thing is definitely one of my main priorities. I aim for balanced IRs that give you the real cab flavor but don't make you sound a "specific way". There's an amp block with an EQ for that in the Axe-Fx. :) Thank you Vertigo!

Hi Clark,

Downloaded Cab Pack 8 yesterday evening. Love them, just as your Cab Pack 7! I'm in a Thin Lizzy tribute (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgjg_9uNy4), so the Greenbags are very welcome.

Maybe I'm overthinking this too much, but I see in your presets that you do a Low Cut of 111 and a High Cut of 11111 in the cab block. Is this your standard when going direct out in a live gig? I see other people having settings like 80/5500, 80/15000 etc.
This subject is mentioned before, but I'm puzzled...

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm still waiting for the first negative feedback... for Cab Pack 7. ;) :lol I'm glad that you like them. You guys really have fun on the stage! That's not normal in Scandinavia. :D

Well 111hz and 11111hz is really subtle and safe. It's what I use for recording. I might cut more lows in post to make space for bass. When playing live it may sound a bit unauthentic if you cut the lows too much but 111hz has been working for me. I think 9khz starts to be the last audible guitar frequencies. If I cut more than that I start to feel like I'm losing definition.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I'm going for so I'm happy that it comes across. Clear, clean, authentic... essentially my goal is to shoot IRs of these cabs so that no one has to do it again. :) And that ear fatigue thing is definitely one of my main priorities. I aim for balanced IRs that give you the real cab flavor but don't make you sound a "specific way". There's an amp block with an EQ for that in the Axe-Fx. :) Thank you Vertigo!

Yeah, after awhile of playing through most other IR's, they all just sound washy and hyped sounding, blurry even. Made me question the poweramp modelling in the Axe FX. After the "11th hour" it's all a blur! This new method you have come up with changes it. Clear, clean & authentic is right Clark. Keep it up!

Is it possible for someone to upload a small clip where we could hear the difference between the stock Basketweave TV Mix and one (or a few) of these? pretty plz?
I use the stock Basketweave TV Mix almost exclusively. But since it’s not UltraRes my OCD is messing with me.
Those clips sound awesome.

Back
Top Bottom