Cab Pack 11 and 12 Released

Mikko,
Do you have the resonant frequency for your cabs? I don't recall seeing anything in the cab pack 8 documentation. Just curious.

The low resonant frequencies for the 4x12 cabs I've done tend to be around 110hz-114hz but the amount of resonance is the biggest difference. For Cab Pack 8 it was way less than f.ex. Cab Pack 7. I can check the curves for you if you're intested.

The low resonant frequencies for the 4x12 cabs I've done tend to be around 110hz-114hz but the amount of resonance is the biggest difference. For Cab Pack 8 it was way less than f.ex. Cab Pack 7. I can check the curves for you if you're intested.

Stupid question here, I never touch the resonance parameter. Having this information, discernable difference will this make? Should I have been adjusting this every time I try a new IR all along?

I would like to know the resonant frequency for cab pack 8, if it isn't too much of an inconvenience. Thanks!

Stupid question here, I never touch the resonance parameter. Having this information, discernable difference will this make? Should I have been adjusting this every time I try a new IR all along?

You definitely don't have to. :) Personally I just tweak the low res amount a lot and not the frequency. It has a lot to do with the feel and palm mutes etc.

Hi Mikko,
I gave your 5153 cab a try ! Your previous IRs were a bit too sharp / thin for my taste , so i sticked to my favourite TAF 4x12 Marshall cab.
This time i can say that you have a winner from my side :)

Here is a clean / mid gain little recording

Oh man. First of all your playing is really moving! That could be music in a movie for sure. :)

That is the best sound clip of the 5153 Cab Pack yet! Could you post the patch by the way? I'd love to see what's happening there. :)

Thanks guys , it is always a pleasure to play with the Fractal and its possibilities !
Nothing special happening in my patches actually , like to keep it as simple with very little tweaking.
Scene 1 is clean 5153 Blue by turning down the volume knob , scene 5 is the same with added BB drive and a little reverb and opening up the volume knob :)

I am playing through KRK6 monitors.

preset is added .
Thanks again !

Attachments

• 5153 IR Test.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
Thanks guys , it is always a pleasure to play with the Fractal and its possibilities !
Nothing special happening in my patches actually , like to keep it as simple with very little tweaking.
Scene 1 is clean 5153 Blue by turning down the volume knob , scene 5 is the same with added BB drive and a little reverb and opening up the volume knob :)

I am playing through KRK6 monitors.

preset is added .
Thanks again !

I got to try this one out better today. It definitely sounds completely different/right with Cab Pack 12. :) Nice patch!

Hey everyone! My quick tutorial for Cab Pack 12 would be that single mics sound better and fuller than on average speakers. Therefore mixing IRs is not at all necessary. This speaker type has a very pleasing and neutral high end so an SM57 doesn't sound nasty at all. If you want to do IR mixing then the E906 and SM57 are IMO the best mics for this particular cab. Those Alloys are some of my favorite alloys. (SM57-SM57 & SM57-E906) :) Have fun!

So how are you guys liking the packs? Any clips or tests you could share? :) I'd love to hear.

Well, I was originally stoked about the UltraRes bass pack when I first heard that you were working on it. However, I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on Cab Pack 11 now after reading this from another "well-respected" forum:

I own the bass cab pack. Kind of bummed I bought it. They sound almost identical to another pack for guitar produced by CK, and almost no audible difference in all of the combined mic impulses. It could just be that this particular cab sounds VERY similar to the cab in cab pack 7. Looking forward to Ownhammers cab impulses as well.

Could you comment/elaborate on this? Now, I'm considering waiting for Ownhammer's new V3 bass IRs as well.

Thanks.

Well, I was originally stoked about the UltraRes bass pack when I first heard that you were working on it. However, I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on Cab Pack 11 now after reading this from another "well-respected" forum:

Could you comment/elaborate on this? Now, I'm considering waiting for Ownhammer's new V3 bass IRs as well.

Thanks.

Wow that's weird especially coming from Matt. :) So an "SV" 4x10 sounds like a "USA" 4x12 guitar cab? Do I even need to post a comparison clip? :) They sound completely different.

Personally I was surprised at how well Cab Pack 11 turned out. Truth be told when I first got the idea that we needed high quality bass IRs I was extremely sceptical if it was necessary since DI bass has become the industry standard. Boy was I positively surprised. I used to do the old trick where I have two bass tracks: one of them clean and the other dirty and blend them together. I definitely don't have to nowadays and the biggest strength of Cab Pack 11 is that you don't need gain to make the bass sound huge. You can use almost a clean sound and it will fill the mix and make is sound huge. It has literally cleared all my bass mixing problems and I'm using on all the bass tracks that I mix.

Here's an example:

Listen to how full that mix sounds and how everything disappears when I stop playing the bass. In the end of that clip you'll hear the bass sound separated and you'll notice it's nothing more than bass and that IR. No drive no nothing. Just a clean bass sound and no tricks needed. :)

Obviously it may not be the perfect thing for all use cases and I respect Matt a lot so I'm bummed if he didn't find it useful for his use. I will soon post a music video of my band where you'll once again hear these IRs killing it. I'm using Mix 08 most of the times nowadays which is all mics on the bottom right speaker.

Wow that's weird especially coming from Matt. :) So an "SV" 4x10 sounds like a "USA" 4x12 guitar cab? Do I even need to post a comparison clip? :) They sound completely different.

Personally I was surprised at how well Cab Pack 11 turned out. Truth be told when I first got the idea that we needed high quality bass IRs I was extremely sceptical if it was necessary since DI bass has become the industry standard. Boy was I positively surprised. I used to do the old trick where I have two bass tracks: one of them clean and the other dirty and blend them together. I definitely don't have to nowadays and the biggest strength of Cab Pack 11 is that you don't need gain to make the bass sound huge. You can use almost a clean sound and it will fill the mix and make is sound huge. It has literally cleared all my bass mixing problems and I'm using on all the bass tracks that I mix.

Here's an example:

Listen to how full that mix sounds and how everything disappears when I stop playing the bass. In the end of that clip you'll hear the bass sound separated and you'll notice it's nothing more than bass and that IR. No drive no nothing. Just a clean bass sound and no tricks needed. :)

Obviously it may not be the perfect thing for all use cases and I respect Matt a lot so I'm bummed if he didn't find it useful for his use. I will soon post a music video of my band where you'll once again hear these IRs killing it. I'm using Mix 08 most of the times nowadays which is all mics on the bottom right speaker.

Dang, right now I'm using three bass tracks (DI, Amp, Distortion) with the DI taking care of the low-end while the other two are high passed and low passed pretty aggressively. Balancing them out and then bussing them to one bass group channel for processing. It'd be nice to cut down on my tracks and processing. So, that clip you posted, there is no post-processing done on the bass? That's just a straight up bass amp into one of your IRs and only one track? Pretty sick. Sounded good.

Dang, right now I'm using three bass tracks (DI, Amp, Distortion) with the DI taking care of the low-end while the other two are high passed and low passed pretty aggressively. Balancing them out and then bussing them to one bass group channel for processing. It'd be nice to cut down on my tracks and processing. So, that clip you posted, there is no post-processing done on the bass? That's just a straight up bass amp into one of your IRs and only one track? Pretty sick. Sounded good.

Trust me I've been there. :D I think I've gone as far as 4 separate bass tracks at some point because the bass player never changed strings. I had one track for the sub low, low mid, one for middle and one for treble. Compressed them all separately and automated the volume balance so there was more bass in the choruses etc.

Yeah that clip in there has no post drive, EQ or tricks. It's just a cheap Ibanez SR505 bass going into SV Bass amp sim with drive on somewhere like 7-8 and the EQ had quite a lot of mids IIRC. There's compression on the track obviously. I used the CLA-176 from Waves with the factory preset "Bass". For bass I usually have the input volume on full on the Axe-Fx. I'm not sure if you guys have tried that but I think it sounds best that way and it doesn't ever peak with my bass at least.

Yeah that clip in there has no post drive, EQ or tricks. It's just a cheap Ibanez SR505 bass going into SV Bass amp sim with drive on somewhere like 7-8 and the EQ had quite a lot of mids IIRC. There's compression on the track obviously. I used the CLA-176 from Waves with the factory preset "Bass". For bass I usually have the input volume on full on the Axe-Fx.

Awesome, man. Thanks for the details. Definitely got me ready to drop the cash on your cab pack now. [emoji106]

Awesome, man. Thanks for the details. Definitely got me ready to drop the cash on your cab pack now. [emoji106]

I will most likely still do a video on the SV Bass Cab Pack mostly because I want people to know what they're getting if they decide to purchase this Cab Pack. :) I definitely want everyone to be happy after getting these packs.

I spent about an hour auditioning the ace mixes and I think they sound great!

That's good to hear. :) They are definitely similar in EQ balance and if you don't have a lot of high end in your bass tone you might feel like the tone isn't changing all that much but it's one of those things you notice better in a mix maybe. Creating bass tones isn't at all the same as creating guitar tones. I don't think I used the subkick for any of those mixes by the way. I don't feel like you need it to get a full bass sound but the subkicks are great for if you want to blend f.ex. an SM57 with something that gives it more low end.

This one? Awesome job Anand! You own and all presets and tones sound amazing. ROCK ON!! :)

I said it in the other thread also. That particular IR (SM57-SM57 01) is on my top 10 list of IRs overall. It's a really hard list to get on if you know how many IRs I'm dealing with daily. :lol

Back
Top Bottom