Cab-Lab worth it? Ownhammer

codyraptor

Inspired
Hey all...just a quick question. I purchased the Ownhammer 1x12 and 2x12 cab packs a while back and thought about buying the cab lab to change them all over to Ultra Res. I'm not a huge tweaker..so not interested in doing a bunch of mixing..will more than likely just use it to change the cabs over to UR. Is it worth it for that purpose..those that have that cab pack?

Agreed. Cab Lab is great. A must have if you have any of the cab packs from Fractal, The Amp Factory or Own Hammer.

I feel it's well worth it... Try the Ultra Res cabs loaded that are preloaded on the XL or are included with firmware updates on the II. There are also many free ones that have been contributed to the forum as well. That will give you a feel for what UltraRes is all about.

As stated before, well worth it. It's only about $20. It's awesome how you can create different mixes/recipes with it

Cab Lab is probably the most important Axe related purchase you will ever make. It allows you to create the ultimate tone without trying to stack and/or mix different cabs and mics. I went from complicated presets with multiple amp/cab blocks to a simple DRIVE-AMP-CAB preset. Well worth it.

I think any complementary stuff (wether its software, firmware or hardware) for the Axe2 created by Fractal, is absolutely worth it.

It is all made for us to get the most out of it.

Well worth the price.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was really just asking if it's worth buying to convert the Ownhammer cabs to UR. That's probably all I would use it for. Is the difference between the standard Ownhammer cabs and UR cabs worth it...or is there little difference from your experience?

Little difference. On the other hand, you can use it to melt several IR's into one, therefore getting your tone with one cab block. That's the important part.

I sat down a few weeks ago and nuked my AxeFXII and started from scratch. I auditioned a lot of cabs and found a pretty good number that I liked and organized everything and was happy. But there were somethings that were missing to my ears and I went ahead and mixed about 5 custom ones and to me it pretty much paid for itself right there. I'll obviously mix more at some point, but for right now I've got just about all my bases covered and I wouldn't have gotten there as quickly without it.

Plus the other cool thing is that I have about a billion IR's that I've bought or were free over the years and many of them are actually long enough to take advantage of Ultra Res. I converted them all within a few mouse clicks. That not only made life easier, but it breathed new life into all those IR's.

hey can you guys help me out? i just got cab lab to convert my own hammer to ultra res and I don't know if I'm really noticing a difference . i also tried blending cabs but if anything theres not much change. i tried blending mesa, engl, and a dzl but didn't hear that much of a difference. actually playing with one cab sounds more clearer

I'm confused about converting up to UR cabs. Isn't that a little akin to converting from MP3 to 24bit/96kHz .wav files? All the warts of the lower resolution rendered in high resolution?

No. Ultrares is actually the mp3 here. Basic IR in Axe is 2048 samples long, and can be converted from wav files. From the same wav, you make an UR for Axe. UR is a bit longer, but it somehow compresses the data to save Axe's CPU. Therefore, the wav needs to be longer than 2048 for there to be any difference.

Back
Top Bottom