Cab lab Q

setonend

If I'm currently using 2 mono hi res OH cabs in parallel that's 2048 samples each yea?
If I mix them together in cab lab what sample resolution am I left with?
Is it better than the stereo function of combining the cabs which to my ear didn't sound as good as 2x hi res

If I'm currently using 2 mono hi res OH cabs in parallel that's 2048 samples each yea?
If I mix them together in cab lab what sample resolution am I left with?
Is it better than the stereo function of combining the cabs which to my ear didn't sound as good as 2x hi res

Adding IR's to a Cablab mix does not increase the resolution. If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) but running two cabs on the grid does bump the resolution down.

Edit: I am wrong. Stereo mode bumps it to Lo-Res. Not two blocks on the grid. From the manual:

MODE – Selects between “MONO HI-RES,” “MONO LO-RES,” and “STEREO” modes. In HI-RES mode,
resolution is at maximum (1 × 2048). In LO-RES mode, resolution is halved (1 × 1024). In STEREO mode, the
processing is stereo, and the resolution is lo-res (2 × 1024).

Last edited:
It was bugging me that I couldn't remember the details so I looked it up on the Wiki.

The Cab block has 3 resolution modes: Hi/Ultra Res, Normal Res, Stereo.

Normal Res: supports IR consisting of 1024 samples. You can often use Normal Res without any negative impact on the tone, compared to Hi Res.

Stereo: supports two Normal Res IRs. CPU usage is the same as in Normal Res mode. Stereo mode does not support Ultra Res IRs; to use Ultra Res in stereo cab modeling, you need two Cab blocks in parallel, with their Input and Balance panned to each side.

Hi/Ultra: supports Hi Res IRs (2040 samples) as well as Ultra Res IRs (up to 8000 samples). Using Hi Res or Ultra Res IRs requires more CPU power than Normal Res / Stereo. But Ultra Res is more efficient than Hi Res, which results in about 4% LESS CPU usage with MORE resolution.

If you don't need cabinet simulation at all, for example because you're using the Axe-Fx II for effects solely or exclusively with a power amp and speaker cabinet, switch it off in the Global menu. This will decrease overall CPU utilization considerably.

Samples translated in milliseconds: ## Normal Res = 1024 samples = 20 ms
Hi Res = 2040 samples = 40 ms
Ultra Res = 8000 samples (max) = 170 ms (max)

It was bugging me that I couldn't remember the details so I looked it up on the Wiki.

The Cab block has 3 resolution modes: Hi/Ultra Res, Normal Res, Stereo.

Normal Res: supports IR consisting of 1024 samples. You can often use Normal Res without any negative impact on the tone, compared to Hi Res.

Stereo: supports two Normal Res IRs. CPU usage is the same as in Normal Res mode. Stereo mode does not support Ultra Res IRs; to use Ultra Res in stereo cab modeling, you need two Cab blocks in parallel, with their Input and Balance panned to each side.

Hi/Ultra: supports Hi Res IRs (2040 samples) as well as Ultra Res IRs (up to 8000 samples). Using Hi Res or Ultra Res IRs requires more CPU power than Normal Res / Stereo. But Ultra Res is more efficient than Hi Res, which results in about 4% LESS CPU usage with MORE resolution.

If you don't need cabinet simulation at all, for example because you're using the Axe-Fx II for effects solely or exclusively with a power amp and speaker cabinet, switch it off in the Global menu. This will decrease overall CPU utilization considerably.

Samples translated in milliseconds: ## Normal Res = 1024 samples = 20 ms
Hi Res = 2040 samples = 40 ms
Ultra Res = 8000 samples (max) = 170 ms (max)

So I'm not using the 2 cabs in stereo but rather 2 individual cabs both in hi res. This should make them both 2048 samples EACH but I'm guessing mixed together in Cab Lab and bounced out as a custom cab will make it only 2048 by its self...just the same as if I had selected them together as a "stereo" cab.

It's definitely using more cup the way I have it now but I do notice a difference to my ear.

You won't lose any detail by mixing them to use as one hi-res IR, compared to two separate hi-res IRs summed to mono in the Axe. The number of samples extend the duration of the IR. You don't suddenly need 4000+ samples when all the information is still in the first 2048.

Back
Top Bottom