Cab Lab problem. Please help.

So I bought cab lab last night and followed all the steps via Scott Peterson's YouTube video but all I can hear is one cab IR. I am trying the FW12 beta so I don't know if that's the issue or not. I have chosen 3 IRs and have the set up properly and sent to the scratch pad but the mixer does not function at all. All I can hear is the first IR, even if all the faders are down. Mute and solo functions do not work either. I should also mention I have tried listening through protools as well as direct into the Axe's headphone jack and end up with the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So I bought cab lab last night and followed all the steps via Scott Peterson's YouTube video but all I can hear is one cab IR. I am trying the FW12 beta so I don't know if that's the issue or not. I have chosen 3 IRs and have the set up properly and sent to the scratch pad but the mixer does not function at all. All I can hear is the first IR, even if all the faders are down. Mute and solo functions do not work either. I should also mention I have tried listening through protools as well as direct into the Axe's headphone jack and end up with the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I thought Cab Lab didn't work when I first bought it also. I actually contacted support because I thought it literally didn't work at all. I found out you can not audition the sounds in real time. The faders also will do nothing after you send the mix to scratchpad.

To test it pick out two very different sounding IRs with browse in Cab Lab. Mute one completely, name it, make sure Axe FXII is selected, then send it to a preset where you have "scratchpad" selected. You will hear just that one IR.

Next do the same thing but un-mute the first one and mute the second one, then send that to scratchpad. You will just that IR.

In Cab Lab you can select up to 8 IRs with browse, then mix the levels only between those 8 IRs, (in mono). You will not be able to hear anything change at all when you move the faders. You have to guess at it. Then you send it to scratchpad to be able to hear your mix. Once it gets to scratchpad the faders no longer do anything. So Cab Lab does work, just not the way most people who bought it expected it to. I expected to be able to hear the the changes in real time as I moved the faders up and down. It doesn't work that way. Cab Lab also will not work with the stock factory IRs. It only works with IRs you have in your User cabs section.

Last edited:
I thought Cab Lab didn't work when I first bought it also. I actually contacted support because I thought it literally didn't work at all. I found out you can not audition the sounds in real time. The faders also will do nothing after you send the mix to scratchpad.

To test it pick out two very different sounding IRs with browse in Cab Lab. Mute one completely, name it, make sure Axe FXII is selected, then send it to a preset where you have "scratchpad" selected. You will hear just that one IR.
Next do the same thing but un-mute the first one and mute the second one, then send that to scratchpad. You will just that IR.

In Cab Lab you can select up to 8 IRs with browse, then mix the levels only between those 8 IRs, (in mono). You will not be able to hear anything change at all when you move the faders. You have to guess at it. Then you send it to scratchpad to be able to hear your mix. Once it gets to scratchpad the faders no longer do anything. So Cab Lab does work, just not the way most people who bought it expected it to. I expected to be able to hear the the changes in real time as I moved the faders up and down. It doesn't work that way.

Wow!!! Now let me say how much I love Fractal Audio and my Axe FX but that is just a horrible work flow. Not that I really care because it was only $20 but it would be nice to know that its not just a simple load the IRs and mix like you would using real mics on a console. Thanks for clearing this all up for me, I really thought I was losing my mind.

So Cab Lab does work, just not the way most people who bought it expected it to. I expected to be able to hear the the changes in real time as I moved the faders up and down. It doesn't work that way.

hmm i never got that impression reading the description. i haven't used it either though :)

Back
Top Bottom