CAB Formula Results for AXE FX II...more info for newbies

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Have been playing with IRs a good bit now, have RedWirez big box.

It's been well documented in other forum posts, but have found usually a combination of a Royer 121 and SM 57 works for me 80% of the time. I use a stereo cab, with the Royer at 1" for either at the Cap, or at Cap Off-Axis, then use a SM57 at 1" Cap Edge off Axis or the Cone.

I find that for Marshall or Freidman HBE sounds the SM 57 1" on the Cone smoothes out (little darker) things with the Royer at 1" on Cap Edge, and makes the sound more three dimensional. I sometimes pull 1 Db out of the Royer 121 if am near clipping.

I am NOT "mixing" cabs together in to new custom cabs. With the controls in the AXE II, I don't think its necessary to do the extra step to get an "amp in the room" sound via mixes and more, Fractal really gave us great options to get there in the new Cab section extras, plus using ambient reverb.

Oddly enough, after doing some experimenting (and continuing too) am finding better results using RAW Red Wirez IRs from Big Box than the Redwirez or Ownhammer cabs that come stock in the AXE FX II.

True, you can use those 3rd party IRs that come stock in AXE II with the stock mics, but I find there is something in these "neutral" IRs that I just don't cotton too personally. For me, I hear too much "paper" in those, hard to articulate really, but it's there (some people really like that, and it is a "good" thing for old Fender amp cabs).

The OLD IRs (Fractal IRs) work fine and indeed I love the Greenbacks and German ones plus the rest.

It's really to everyone's taste, but you have a frustration with a preset and are using the 'stock" 3rd party IRs and can try some other cab formulas, maybe like me you'll be pleased with the results. Just thought I'd share this as a point of view that may be useful to someone someday.

Regarding the RW, I much prefer a SM57 CapEdge from the Big Box, to a stock RW with Dyn57 mic IR.

I like the stock OwnHammer IR s alot.

My US$0.02

I'm still using the SOX blender locally, but it should be easy enough to adapt this recipe for The RW web blender

I stumbled across this awhile ago

BIGBox\VoxAC30Blues\TC30-Ref-FarFields\VoxAC30Blues-TC30-Cap-0in.wav,0.25
BIGBox\VoxAC30Blues\TC30-Ref-FarFields\VoxAC30Blues-TC30-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.25
BIGBox\VoxAC30Blues\TC30-Ref-FarFields\VoxAC30Blues-TC30-Cone-0in.wav,0.25
BIGBox\VoxAC30Blues\TC30-Ref-FarFields\VoxAC30Blues-TC30-ConeEdge-0in.wav,0.25

or

BIGBox\BasketweaveG12H30s\Earthworks TC30\BasketweaveG12H30s-TC30-Cap-0in.wav,0.25
BIGBox\BasketweaveG12H30s\Earthworks TC30\BasketweaveG12H30s-TC30-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.25
BIGBox\BasketweaveG12H30s\Earthworks TC30\BasketweaveG12H30s-TC30-Cone-0in.wav,0.25
BIGBox\BasketweaveG12H30s\Earthworks TC30\BasketweaveG12H30s-TC30-ConeEdge-0in.wav,0.25

I quartered up the blend for each available TC 30 position which seems to
give a nice neutral balance while retaining the character of the cabinet.

I use different distances for different cabs, but this seems to give nice results overall.

Since 4.01 hit the bricks, I've been trying to dial in my patches with factory
cabs and mics so I've put the blending experiments on the back burner.

Now that I looked :lol, RedWirez TC30 captures have only 0in distance for most cabinets...

A few have 2Meter distances but that's different than what I'm looking for at the moment...

I use other mics in other blends at different distances, but I'm liking the square blend of TC30s for most of my patches.

Seems to save the character of the speakers and cabs while allowing the amp tone controls to be effective.

Last edited:
I am hoping that in 2012 sometime that Axe Edit will be enhanced to allow for the Cabs you load into User slots to be saved and quickly exchanged via new Cab "bank" files, just like we do with preset bank files now....this will let users really organize/set up and audition third party IRs a lot quicker/easier... so we can try some of the others. I am trying to see if my ears really start to "like" certain combs of mic positions regardless of the mic, like always combining a 1" cap-edge with a 1" cone off axis or similar...

Back
Top Bottom