Cab Default

Ace79

Why doesn't a default cab load with an amp? Or, am I missing something?
It would be really nice when auditioning multiple amps quickly, that a cab that was originally designed (or suggested for the amp) would also load.
Of course you can still have the option to try out as many cabs as you want, but to go to the wiki list recommendations, then go searching for the cab takes a lot of time.
Is there anyway to do this?
Thanks

Uh oh - here we go. Put on your kevlar helmet, OP :D

For real though, if you want to see a good discussion about this, check out this current wish list thread. The TLDR version is that some of us want a default cab, others don't, citing that there is no "correct" cab for an amp. But, you know, if Helix can do it...

EDIT: For the record, I've been begging for a default cab or an amp+cab block for years.

The canned answer is “well who’s to say what the proper cab is”?

I have wish listed this, myself. This feature doesnt seem to be in line with the FAS philosophy. I wish it was. It would give a good starting point and potentially save some time when constructing a preset. There was talk of a major overhaul of the cab blocks functionality. Lets wee what that brings.

Glad to hear there're the people who feel the same.
It just seems so obvious.
I think we can agree the "philosophy" of modelers, is to make the models sound like the original amp, and I think we can agree that the cab/speaker has a lot to do with that. we know that for most of the history of amp buying in a store, there wasn't really cab/speaker options (I bought my first amp in 1973, a Fender Princeton)
Once again the people who want to search alternative cabs, will still have that option.

Would be nice to have a default even if you disagree with the choices made. Can always be changed.

In the meantime. What I've done is save Factory preset cab blocks to the Library as my defaults.

How about even the option to assign default cabs to amps? When I stumble across that perfect cab for an amp, I’d like to be able to assign it whenever I pull up that amp model. Populate the cab block as well at the same time.

Yes, I've seen the suggested cab list. That's nice, but if you're in a session and you want to try out 5 or 10 amps out quickly, that's not gonna cut it.
It's not that I'm so stuck on using the preferred cab, it's a "work flow" thing. Though, if we so love these amps and their designers, a good place to start is with there suggested choice.

Yes, I've seen the suggested cab list. That's nice, but if you're in a session and you want to try out 5 or 10 amps out quickly, that's not gonna cut it.
It's not that I'm so stuck on using the preferred cab, it's a "work flow" thing. Though, if we so love these amps and their designers, a good place to start is with there suggested choice.
Just to keep it in perspective and give FAS their props, imagine back when you had to move around 70lb cabs and power down amps to try different combinations? Even though we may not have optimal workflows, we are sure as shit light years ahead of “back in the day”. I’m really hyper sensitive about romanticizing the old days. Yea there were a few finer points but gear wise there’s no place like today. I don’t miss it in the least.

I totally give fractal their props. It’s a great unit, and I’ve had many. I had a ax fx 2 when they came out, went to kemper, now coming back. I’ve been using modelers since the rockman days, and lots of them. (not live though) So, I’m not interested in romanticizing old school amp days. But, with a product with the deepest options of any modeler on the planet, this should be one of those obvious options as a jumping off point. That’s all I’m saying. This is maybe a bad analogy, but lots of people like swapping tubes, but it wouldn’t be too cool to have to go choose amongst a long List of tubes, before we can hear the amp.

That just sounds like a lot of complex logix that can only cause other issues to me. But a user defined matrix might be interesting.

This is a thing. I am fine with it either way, personally. It may be tedious to have to manually search and add them, but I sometimes use something else. The amp may have been tuned for v30s, but I may "prefer" green backs. To each their own. It would be nice when you do want the factory cab, though.

Yea, you finally get a cab that sounds good at your desk, only to find out it doesn't work like you thought it would at stage volumes.

If you have the ability to tie the cabinet IR to amp models, you also have to consider which impedance curve gets selected. I've lobbied to have the ability to be able to tie the impedance curve selection to the IR.

Back
Top Bottom