Cab building experience anyone?

tas9195

Inspired
I am about to embark on building my own 212 cab using V30s. I do woodworking so that is not a problem just don't have experience with building for proper air space and such that you need for speakers I am just basically going off of dimensions for the ENGL 212. There are detail stuff I am not sure about like how far inset to set the baffle to maintain the correct air space and such. It will be enclosed not open back. I play mainly metal, instrumental, progressive etc.... So I want a tight deep sound without being too bassy. Any one who can help?

I built my own 4x12 and in the end it cost me more than just buying one. That being said it was a lot of fun and it sounds fantastic! It's also something I will NEVER part with because my best friend and I built it.

My advice is figure out what name brand speaker cabinet you want it to be like and use it for measurements. I wasn't shy and went to guitar center with a tape measure in my pocket and went in the amp room and started taking measurements...lol. I used the Marshall cabinet for specs but wanted the Orange cabinet front look so really took a close look at those as well.

Wow that turned out nice I like the Randy Rhoads white tolex look. Yeah part of this is I like woodworking so it is a project for me and I can build it any way I want. I already have the speakers (celestion V30). I think I am going to try the carbon fiber tolex. Like I said it will be based on the ENGL 212 pro cab which I have dimensions already. how far in from the outside of the cab did you put your bracing for the baffle and on the backside for the back cover. Just want to make sure I am not creating too small an air space. I know there are formulas for all that I just don't know how to figure that out. Where did you get all the hardware, grill clothes handles etc.... I have found a couple of places I am looking at.

I got most of the hardware at reliable hardware but got the tolex from somewhere else I can't remember now.

just countersunk the back panel and left just a tiny bit extra to compensate for the thickness of the tolex..

for the baffle i just made it a tiny bit long so the back panel "pushes" against it when installed and I also put a screw through the back panel into the baffle for good measure....

as long as you measure the 2x12 cab and know what thickness wood they are using I don't see how you could go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom