Cab block vs Cab-Lab mixes

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So I finally got Cab Lab 3 on the Black November sale.

I decided to try things out by combining the standard 2 IRs that I use into a single IR to save some CPU.

I got pretty close... But it's not quite exact.

I have 2 IRs in the Cab block with the following settings - everything else default:

1. ML Legends G12H30/55Hz with M160, Low Cut at 80, High Cut at 6500
  2. ML Legends G12H30/55Hz with SM57, High Cut at 7500, Alignment 6.8mm

In Cab Lab I loaded the 2 IRs and set them to MPT since they are not well aligned.

What I don't know is how the alignment in the Cab block relates to the same in Cab Lab. One is in mm and the other in ms. How do they map?

In Cab Lab, the graphs show everything "combined" where the Cab block allows me to see the Time Alignment of each IR.

Also, what is the slope of the High/Low Cut in Cab Lab? I'm assuming 12db, but wanted to confirm.

+1 on the mm to ms conversion.

"The speed of sound in air is approximately 331.5 m/s at 0 °C..." according to https://www.google.com/search?q=speed+of+sound+in+air+m/s

m/s = mm/ms, so 1 ms = 331.5 mm at the conditions stated above.

It would be awesome if CabLab switched to mm, as it's a finer measurement.... :)

-----------------

I guess the other q that pops to mind is what temperature the Axe cab block assumes when calculating the mm and how it affects the phase relationship of something moved X mm relative to another. It would be amusing to see a room temperature knob added in that page of the cab block, not that I am asking for it. Even more amusing would be the Axe using the ambient temp where it is, though it would add a bit of randomness to the process.... :D

Last edited:
+1 on the mm to ms conversion.

"The speed of sound in air is approximately 331.5 m/s at 0 °C..." according to https://www.google.com/search?q=speed+of+sound+in+air+m/s

m/s = mm/ms, so 1 ms = 331.5 mm at the conditions stated above.

It would be awesome if CabLab switched to mm, as it's a finer measurement.... :)

-----------------

I guess the other q that pops to mind is what temperature the Axe cab block assumes when calculating the mm and how it affects the phase relationship of something moved X mm relative to another. It would be amusing to see a room temperature knob added in that page of the cab block, not that I am asking for it. Even more amusing would be the Axe using the ambient temp where it is, though it would add a bit of randomness to the process.... :D
Wouldn’t temp be moot due to the fact that it’d be the same for both? Unless you were mic’ing one cab in a hot, non climate controlled room & another in an air-conditioned room.

You could try removing the distance/alignment from both cab lab and afx, just to get a baseline if there are any differences between the 2 platforms.
Then you can focus on either the alignment, or any differences between cab lab and the cab block.

Back
Top Bottom