Wish Cab Block Maps to IR Name not User slot #

smj

Inspired
As it stands, each cab preset maps to the IR slot #. If one were to move the IR to a different slot #, it changes the preset and any other preset that references that user slot #. I recently ran out of IR space and was moving stuff around to consolidate and make everything more organized, but I had to go back into each preset and change the user slot # each cab preset was referencing. It would be nice to not have to do that and for the preset to track the actual IR itself regardless of where it's positioned.

Sean Meredith-Jones

As you know, Line 6 handles this problem by using a hash to identify the IR instead of a slot number. That helps, but I think the whole idea of storing the IR library in memory slots is problematic, especially for studio use. It might be time for a new approach to this problem.

Storing the library of IR's in memory slots on the Axe-FX means they can't be organized into hierarchical categories, making it difficult to browse IR's when editing a preset. It also means the size of your IR library is limited by the number of memory slots.

This problem was solved long ago in samplers. In a sampler, the sample audio is identified in a preset by a hierarchical path. That means when you load a preset from your computer, the sample audio is automatically loaded into memory. When you reorganize your library, it's a simple matter to adapt presets to the new organization. The same principle could be used in the Axe-FX so IR's can be organized and categorized on your computer into folders, making them easy to browse, without any limits on the number of them in your library. Loading a preset would automatically load any IR's the preset uses. Loading a "set list" of presets for a gig would automatically load all the IR's needed by those presets.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/

Last edited:
As you know, Line 6 handles this problem by using a hash to identify the IR instead of a slot number. That helps, but I think the whole idea of storing the IR library in memory slots is problematic, especially for studio use. It might be time for a new approach to this problem.

Storing the library of IR's in memory slots on the Axe-FX means they can't be organized into hierarchical categories, making it difficult to browse IR's when editing a preset. It also means the size of your IR library is limited by the number of memory slots.

This problem was solved long ago in samplers. In a sampler, the sample audio is identified in a preset by a hierarchical path. That means when you load a preset from your computer, the sample audio is automatically loaded into memory. When you reorganize your library, it's a simple matter to adapt presets to the new organization. The same principle could be used in the Axe-FX so IR's can be organized and categorized on your computer into folders, making them easy to browse, without any limits on the number of them in your library. Loading a preset would automatically load any IR's the preset uses. Loading a "set list" of presets for a gig would automatically load all the IR's needed by those presets.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-presets-irs-and-blocks-and-set-lists.162038/
To the first point about a new approach to the problem... when we break down the primary components of the ir concept, they would be:

Speaker cabinet size
Speaker cabinet wood type
Speaker Type/model
Mic
Mic position

The more that's baked into the ir, that's where we get enormous ir libraries as the manufacturers try and give all options/combinations of mics and mic distances.... sometimes hundreds of options for just one cabinet alone.

Another option is for example, allowing the user to modify those parameters... perhaps like neural has done. But I don't know what the end results would be. I have heard that (correct me if I'm mistaken) it's Fractal's belief that having all that baked in yields better results.

I never liked Helix's cab offerings... but they did allow for mic selection and mic distance which bypasses the need for extensive lists with all the options. Still, I always opted for a third party IR in most cases... they just sounded better to me in the end. With FM3, it's a mix of internal and third party... oh how I love the York Audio stuff.

I do have all my irs organized on my desktop by cabinet type. When I put them on to the FM3, I put them all together by cabinet type in alphabetical order. When I go looking for something... I select the user bank and type in things like VX30... and the huge list will be collapsed to the offerings I've opted to put on the FM3. That part was actually pretty easy to navigate.

It's just after moving things around, I had do document which preset used which ir's.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Back
Top Bottom