CAB > AMP

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I've been saying this so many times already it's probably getting old but seriously the cab seems to be more important than the amp in some cases. And it's not just the Axe-Fx; Here's a real life comparison of a Dual Rectifier and EVH side by side but through the same cab and mic positions. It's three riffs being played with both amps.

So not 100% the same but pretty damn close. The EVH has less low lows and more low mids.

So I feel that the cab simulation is the biggest tone shaping tool in guitar amp modeling.

Guitarists talk about getting a new amp all the time but they rarely talk about getting a new cab. Maybe they should.. :)

My Triaxis + Mesa 2:100 was never satisfying through a Stiletto cab, always gutless. Tweaked forever, still no love.
Plugged that same amp and pre into an ENGL Pro and: Hallelujah! The Beast awakened.
Totally backing your theory with anecdotal "evidence" with a dash of ignorance (that is to say I have no devices other than my ears to quantify the quality of a sound).

in b4 Clark Kent lynching party

all you have to do is audition a few of the same amps with the same cab and see that the cab is at least 75% of the tone. I have 10 different hot rodded Marshall presets through the stock tv mix. they all sound so close it's silly.

I agree. I can get tonez I like from any amp model as long as I've got an IR I like. If you have a bad IR, its just bad times all round and it doesn't matter at all which amp model you use.

For high gain amps, yeah, cabs seem to be more influential to the sound. There was a high-gain shoot-out in youtube years ago that showed that.

This is the case with cabinets in general. 10 years ago I went on a spending spree buying amps and cabinets. I wanted a 4x10 and saw a Reverend amp and cab in Ebay... so I won it. I got it and was excited to hook it up and play. Oh my gosh.... that was absolutely the most horrible sounding cabinet I could ever imagine. So dull... I think applying electricity to a Kleenex would have more life to it. Anyhow... that experience finalized what I was already learning... cabinets are a huge part of the sound. Bigger than anything else I believe. I always went back to my hand-selected Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks. I love that cabinet. The same applies to IRs in the Axe-Fx.

I agree 100%. I did a shoot out with 3 different 4-12 cabs with a suhr pt100. Huge difference between the cabs. I find the same with IRs. I am using an ultra res g65 mix with fremens high gain presets right now. I can hear the difference between the amp models but it is not a huge difference . All of them sound great through this cab.

From the 1st post in the sticky, 4 down from the top, posted by Cliff in May, 2012:

"Impulse Responses (IRs) are the single most important part of an amplifier plus cab's sound yet they are often overlooked. People concentrate on the amp when it's the cab that has far more influence on the sound."

Its funny.. I asked some complete non guitarist ppl what they thought made the biggest difference to the tone (e.g. My wife) and they said 'the speakers' as well. Why do guitar players over analyse things?

Hey

Yeah cabinet makes very big different for tone ,whit same cab and different amps there is only little bit tone different. I was have kemper and I was shoot that whit framus 412 v30 ,almost every amps sounds same whit that cabinet. There was only little bit tone chances ,but overall same tone and feeling I was have all amps. And that why Im shooting now my guitar tone ,for pa-system to get all those different amps and cabs sounds like they should sound.

Clarky said something about this about two years ago, and some people were quite dismissive about his opinion on this subject.

I can't find the post as I think the thread has been deleted, which is unusual as Clarky is quite generous with the information he provides - when he's not up to his ears actually making music. lol

Back
Top Bottom