Cab/Amp simulation OFF! I'm missing out aren't I?

I've been trying to get the most out of my AxeII with my speakers & power amps but feel it should be better.

It sounds better with cab/amp sims OFF with my Matrix & cabs... whichever ones I go with ([2] 1x12 Harry Kolbes or 4x12 Harry Kolbe Concert). I tried with cab/amp sims ON going through my Yamaha PA system but that yielded less than desirable sounds. For shits & giggles I plugged in one of my MAudio BX5 monitors (other one is blown) to see if I get the full potential of the Axe. Well, the bass kept farting out... sounded thin... so I think its kinda blown too LOL.

Pretty much to hear this things full potential should I use it with Cab/Amp sims on with a pair of monitors? I play in a small space but like feeling some Korn-like bass will reference monitors provide me with this? Should I go with Adam A7's or something else?

Thx for your time,
Ken

The only way you can maximize the tonal options is via a FRFR monitor setup.

If you only want a few tones and you can achieve them another way, great.

There are MANY threads in the amp section covering this topic.

Generally they come down to the Atomic wedge (which some complain aren't loud enough and fart out) and the Verve 12ma (almost impossible to source due to distribution issues).

I have the Verve 12ma and they work for me.

many FRFR options

The FRFR method can be very rewarding, with caveats, however. I boil it down this way: it' all about performance, and there is a direct correlation between price and performance. There are many options in the $1000 and under prosumer market, and these may suit your needs perfectly...or not. Only you will be able to judge this. If you really want the Axe-fx to sing w/a FRFR system, don't be surprised if you find this to be a very pricey proposition for superior performance.

The only way you can maximize the tonal options is via a FRFR monitor setup.

sorry dude.. I don't agree with this at all...
I played an Axe through my Marshall backline and it was superb.. and... I left the cab sims on cos I thought they smoothed out the tone..

there really is no 'only way' / 'best way' when it comes to this stuff...
if to your ears you are making your rig sing, irrespective of what it consists of or how it's configured, then you're doing it right...
and if my ears don't like what your doing or how you're doing it, it really don't matter at all..
cos it's you playing though your rig not me...
so long as you're happy that's all that matters...

when it comes to not being loud enough... erm... I seriously do not suffer with that lil' prob..
as in... I really seriously don't... lol...

totally agreed clarky! ;) But I think luke was talking about maximizing OPTIONS, and I think he's right - even with a traditional cab you'll be missing out a lot on the cab sims, cuz the traditional cab will filter what's already filtered.....I like the sound of it too, but it really doesn't do the cab sims justice....

Back
Top Bottom