Buzzing problem (still)

southbeck

I have a huge buzzing problem with my Ax8. I have written about it before but still haven´t found a solution.

I play professionally and have brought the ax8 to recording sessions, used it in a musical, at top 40 gigs, at home in my own studio etc. So it is not in a specific enviroment.

My main guitars are a James Tyler mongoose, a Prs Mccarty and a Fender deluxe start. Those are some very well shielded guitars. I don´t have this bussing problem with any other pieces of gear. Didn´t have it at all when I used a Kemper or with my Mesa Boogie amp. So it is not the guitars.

The problem seems to be that it is very, very sensitive to power sources nearby and how close you are sitting. I have to use some serious noisegating. Too much. When I touch the strings it buzzes like crazy. Even with humbuckers. And we are talking about a dead clean sound. Not with distortion.

Please, anyone from Fractal that can help? I would really like to be able to bring it to gigs.

Do you get the same problem when playing any of the factory presets? Which ones do it, and do any sound like there is no concerning noise? Worse with high vs low gain? What happens to the noise when you roll the guitar volume all the way down?

Occasionally I have a troublesome preset, but usually it was due to something I did. And I have one Inst cable which is prone to more noise. But that’s just my experience. Could certainly be something else.

Might be worth uploading the preset if you have one that’s particularly troublesome.

Last edited:
I get this. To fix it, I run my AX8 into my mixer where I put a tiny bit of noise gate on it which thwarts it 100%.

While I don't actually own an AX8, I've seen enough clips online of it with presets at all sorts of gain levels where it seems to be quiet. So I think if I was in your position I'd be considering asking Fractal (or whatever official distributor if you're not in the US you bought it from) if you could send it back for them to test.

It might have a bad/noisy internal power supply unit or something?

Back
Top Bottom