Buying on EBay?

DBraz

A bit of advice if I may.

I am in the market to buy a second hand Axe FX 2 (Mark 2). I live in the UK.
If I found one on Ebay what would be the best way of making sure the item is genuine and protecting myself?

Regards

David

Paying with Paypal. If anything is wrong with the unit and the seller makes any problems, enjoy Paypal's buyer's protection. Worked very well for me once when I was ripped buying a guitar.

I am also in the UK and I would suggest that you buy from a European source. If the unit had originally been supplied by G66 (who are excellent!) they will honour any remaining warranty on a second hand unit and also give you support or repair it if needs be. If you purchase a unit that they did not supply then you'll probably have to return it to the States if it ever needs fixing. I know this because I contacted them to ask about second hand Axe 2s or units purchased direct from the USA for myself.
I've since had some dealings with G66 and their customer services are faultless.

Paying with Paypal. If anything is wrong with the unit and the seller makes any problems, enjoy Paypal's buyer's protection. Worked very well for me once when I was ripped buying a guitar.

Unless they've changed the program since I got ripped off three years ago, Paypal's Buyer protection only covers the first $250. I paid $850 for a laptop on ebay, a laptop which not only didn't exist, but which the guy had sold to twelve different people.

After lots of aggravation, I got back $250.

Unless they've changed the program since I got ripped off three years ago, Paypal's Buyer protection only covers the first $250. I paid $850 for a laptop on ebay, a laptop which not only didn't exist, but which the guy had sold to twelve different people.

After lots of aggravation, I got back $250.

don't quote me on this but i think now its protected for the 'full amount including shipping'

pay with paypal
make sure the deal isn't too good to be true
check the persons history/feedback
if they buy and sell dozens of guitar stuff- probably is legit
if they sell broken cell phones and have negative feedback all over- probably bad idea

Whilst the prices on ebay seem attractive from the states what they fail to tell you is that you have to pay VAT and Import tax to get the item into the UK. If you go on to the VAT and import duty calculator what you will actually pay for a secondhand/new unit is the same as what you will pay on a new unit from g66, if you buy from g66 you get all the support and fantastic customer service.

FWIW I was in the same boat as the OP a month or so ago and was trying to get an axe fx2 on the cheap from ebay/gumtree, my advice buy from g66 for complete peace of mind.

BUT most people put on custom forms GIFT
to get the buyer out of most duties/tariffs

idk how it works for UK though

Whilst the prices on ebay seem attractive from the states what they fail to tell you is that you have to pay VAT and Import tax to get the item into the UK. If you go on to the VAT and import duty calculator what you will actually pay for a secondhand/new unit is the same as what you will pay on a new unit from g66, if you buy from g66 you get all the support and fantastic customer service.

FWIW I was in the same boat as the OP a month or so ago and was trying to get an axe fx2 on the cheap from ebay/gumtree, my advice buy from g66 for complete peace of mind.

That's some very good advice. I didn't realise that if I bought a US model it would have to be sent back to the states if something went wrong.

Do these units ever fail? I had zero problems with my Ultra.

I had this idea at first but my wife said no way just get a new one and that was all the sanction I needed :D
It might be okay if you could try the unit out first but there are so many aspects to it how could you be sure you covered everything ?, if it was really cheap or even faulty how much would it cost to have it repaired ? maybe that is an option ? but it would have to be dirt cheap.

I have a limit on what I'm prepared to risk by buying on Ebay from overseas - I got a GCP midi controller from the States - it was properly labeled for Customs and I got a small extra bill for that -but it arrived safely.

I personally wouldn't distance buy an Axe2 via ebay - the cost alone is enough to make me want to see it and test it first, and if the cost is unbelievably lower than most other units for sale ... then take 'unbelievable' literally and walk away!

Back
Top Bottom