Buying My first Axe FX. Is there anything I need to know?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy an AXE FX 2 XL + from the guys at G66. I used to own and an old Mark 1 Axe Fx2 about 3 years ago and couldn't get on with it at the time. Now that there is a lot more options with the axe when playing live and at home I feel as if its time to buy one again. it will definitely replace my PerSonus interface i have connected to my amp and studio monitors. And I would consider using it live with my band plugging straight into the PA and just have either a Matrix power amp and cab or a matrix powered speaker for monitoring live. I'm guessing I would use the 2 outputs on the AXE to do this?

I have an FX8 at the moment that I'm using with either my boogie rectoverb 25 or Express 5:50.

I'm guessing I would use the 2 outputs on the AXE to do this?

I just wondered if there was anything I needed to know before purchasing? The Axe is coming out at 2899 euros which is around £2130 over here in the UK.

Does that sound about right to you guys? Is there anything else I should take into consideration when buying one?

Thanks guys

Paul

I just bought one in July. Yes you can use the 2 outputs, usually output 1 to the Front of house or a pa and output 2 you can set up for use with a power amp and real cab.

The best thing I did was purchase a training class on creative live by Cooper Carter. Before it I was fumbling around with the on screen menu on the Axe and couldn't get much out of it. After the class I was very comfortable navigating through axe edit and getting exactly the sounds I was looking for. The class is excellent!

I just bought one in July. Yes you can use the 2 outputs, usually output 1 to the Front of house or a pa and output 2 you can set up for use with a power amp and real cab.

The best thing I did was purchase a training class on creative live by Cooper Carter. Before it I was fumbling around with the on screen menu on the Axe and couldn't get much out of it. After the class I was very comfortable navigating through axe edit and getting exactly the sounds I was looking for. The class is excellent!

Thanks for the reply, yes same here I've been toying with the idea for a while now and bought both Cooper Carter's creative live training classes. It was well worth it. I like the fact I can run the axe thru my studio monitors at home and with headphones that really helps when playing at home. I always get complaints from my family when playing at home and I'm never that loud either. Well IMO anyway lol.

Did you buy thru G66?

Thanks again

Paul

Before buying a poweramp and cab, try an FRFR solution at least once. It offers a number of advantages over the poweramp+cab setup that you should definitely consider. If it doesn't work for you, you can still make the switch.

Before buying a poweramp and cab, try an FRFR solution at least once. It offers a number of advantages over the poweramp+cab setup that you should definitely consider. If it doesn't work for you, you can still make the switch.

I was thinking of either the Matrix NS12 1x12 or the stage wedge they do. If I don't get on with that then I will go down the power amp and cab route. I'm impressed with what I see and hear though definitely.

I was thinking of either the Matrix NS12 1x12 or the stage wedge they do. If I don't get on with that then I will go down the power amp and cab route. I'm impressed with what I see and hear though definitely.

Another option is a set of studio monitors to start. I am not sure the price point of the Matrix NS12s in the UK, but a solid pair of studio monitors might be a cost effective starting point.

Another option is a set of studio monitors to start. I am not sure the price point of the Matrix NS12s in the UK, but a solid pair of studio monitors might be a cost effective starting point.

Thanks for the recommendation as long as i can hear it over my drummer and the rest of the band I'm not bothered. The Matrix Wedges look pretty solid though to me. And being in the UK where they are made the price isn't that bad.

I run straight to pa and monitor through the vocal monitors(no big gear to carry). I would try this first and see how you like it, if you do not miss your amp, go frfr. if you do miss your amp, try running output one to pa and output two through the amp you have, if that pleases you go amp and cab. The biggest problem with the axe fx is the users, we all have different tastes. the axe fx gives us endless possibilities, and only ourselves can we find happiness!

Hey man! Just get it. Best piece of gear I ever got. Period. As for you running it with a power amp... I got a Matrix GT800FX and put it through my Marshall 412 w/V30s and let me be the first to tell you that it sounds nothing like a REAL amp through cab sounds thin and lacks all your lows and low mids. Through frfr with cab sims however? different beast, this method is the best and is what the Axe is primarily made for. This is my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated. I've just sold a few pedals to pay for some of the AXE FX. I was hoping to sell one go my boogie amps to help fund it but so far no takers on it. I have some cash saved up I can use to get the AXE and then put it back when I finally sell my boogie Lonestar.

So what are guys using as a midi board? The MFC? I quite like the Mastermind GT looks really awesome and will do everything I need.

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy an AXE FX 2 XL + from the guys at G66. I used to own and an old Mark 1 Axe Fx2 about 3 years ago and couldn't get on with it at the time. Now that there is a lot more options with the axe when playing live and at home I feel as if its time to buy one again.
Given the above, I have to question your claim in the title that you are a buying your first AxeFX.

It's like saying, I am divorced but about to get married for the first time; anyone have any tips?

Given the above, I have to question your claim in the title that you are a buying your first AxeFX.

It's like saying, I am divorced but about to get married for the first time; anyone have any tips?

Yeah pretty much but I was just trying to get an idea if anything had changed and it has for me anyway. Like being in a different band for example, usually I'm mic'ed up via my amp and for some reason on stage volume seems to have got quieter due to some of the functions we play. I find it hard to monitor my amp sometimes as I share a monitor with my keyboard player and as we only have 3 aux sends on our mixing desk our drummer has to have the same as myself and my keyboard player. Obviously they don't wanna hear the guitar as loud as I do thru the monitors so I thought about going with the AXE.

I don't think the Matrix stuff had come out back when I had the AXE FX 2 MK1 or I didn't know about it. Looking back I really do regret selling it but there you go you learn from your mistakes. At least I get a shiny new updated model this time and not a 2nd hand one.

Well guys I've finally done it. I've spent my hard earned cash and I bought an AXE FX 2 XL+. I don't think I'll see it till next week as its coming from the good guys at G66 so I'll have to hang on a bit longer. I am however super excited.

Nice one Paul. Will follow with interest to see how you get on. I am still waiting on an FX8 and more than once considered jumping up to the AFX but I think it is overkill for what I need.

Nice one Paul. Will follow with interest to see how you get on. I am still waiting on an FX8 and more than once considered jumping up to the AFX but I think it is overkill for what I need.

I thought that as well but I think its something I will definitely use the more I get into it. I'm considering using it live as well. I have an FX8 as well that I bought off of ebay. It had some issues with it where it was resetting itself when scenes were selected on a few presets. G66 have agreed to take a look at it for me even though I never bought it from them. They said they don't usually do that but i think cause I bought the Axe from them they are helping me out. Now that's customer service. I've just gotta sort out sending it to them now.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much but I was just trying to get an idea if anything had changed and it has for me anyway. Like being in a different band for example, usually I'm mic'ed up via my amp and for some reason on stage volume seems to have got quieter due to some of the functions we play. I find it hard to monitor my amp sometimes as I share a monitor with my keyboard player and as we only have 3 aux sends on our mixing desk our drummer has to have the same as myself and my keyboard player. Obviously they don't wanna hear the guitar as loud as I do thru the monitors so I thought about going with the AXE.

I don't think the Matrix stuff had come out back when I had the AXE FX 2 MK1 or I didn't know about it. Looking back I really do regret selling it but there you go you learn from your mistakes. At least I get a shiny new updated model this time and not a 2nd hand one.

It had. I helped develop the first Matrix GT. Both the 800, 1000 and the first wedges came out in the old standard/ultra days before the AFX2 came out.

It had. I helped develop the first Matrix GT. Both the 800, 1000 and the first wedges came out in the old standard/ultra days before the AFX2 came out.

Really that's awesome! I probably didn't know about you guys back then. I know about you now though, I'm excited to try the wedges actually when I get the cash together. Might be a while yet as I've just bought the Axe but we will see.

Back
Top Bottom