Buying FRFR speakers in Australia

barryswanson

Inspired
This post is mainly for my fellow Aussies, but why is it so hard to buy the good speakers in Australia? Atomics are never in stock and Xitones can’t be got. Or can’t I find them. But I just want to complete my Axe setup with the best available and if so dam hard in this country. What have you guys settled for ?

Actually I think Mick does have them for international xitone sale, why dont you just email mick, hes quick to answer!

Can XiTone Cabs ship internationally
Absolutely. XiTone has partnered with www.MyUS.com to safely and affordably ship cab to most countries in the world. Please visit their website and sign up for their free Single Package plan. They will in turn provide you a US based address for me to ship to. I will ship the cab to them and they in turn will forward it to you.

I went through this same dilemma about 3-4 months ago. In the end I purchased an FR12 from Matrix. They have an Australian website and the prices were very reasonable; I think I paid $1,125 inc. shipping and the speaker arrived in something like four days. I haven’t tried any other FRFRs so I couldn’t tell you if it’s objectively better/worse than, say, an Atomic, but I’m happy with my sound for what it’s worth. YMMV.

Why is everything so hard and expensive here in Australia:/
I do love my srx812’s though, maybe not cab like but very easy to get great sounds and super versatile (backline, foldback, foh , etc.)
I still waited about 10 weeks to get them - but the wait is long forgotten now

I do love my srx812’s though, maybe not cab like but very easy to get great sounds and super versatile (backline, foldback, foh , etc.)

stop complaining, compared to NZ that's paradise :p

Be careful buying anything that doesn't have support here in Australia. I bought a Matrix gt800fx that malfunctioned, blew two speakers and will cost me the same as I paid for it in shipping to the US or UK to be looked at. Matrix have no support outside of those countries and do not supply any tech documents, and no one here that I could find was willing to work on it.

Friedman gear is available through Deluxe Guitars, great shop and support the products they sell.
Atomic CLR available from Independent Music, Andrews awesome
Xitone not available locally, but Mick seems to be a great guy that by all accounts has terrific customer service. Still, a very long way if anything goes wrong.
Many people are using powered speakers, eg JBL pro/srx Qsc k.2, Yamaha DXR10, a sleeper is the Dynacord AXM

Cheers
Anthony

I'm located in the USA, but hear you on the support and availability issue. Frankly I'd look at mainstream powered PA 12" cabs that were readily available and serviceable in your area (Yamaha, JBL, EV, RCF, etc). If you can find one that is coaxial then even better.

FWIW I own and love an Atomic CLR Neo MKII, but can't currently recommend them since Atomic has been out of stock for close to a year and keeps claiming they should be available in a few months. I also own various powered PA speakers that do an excellent job with the Fractal....and that is what the audience hears me through.

Hi Barry,
I personally don't think the current round of so called 'FRFR' cabs are actually good enough to be considered accurate. In my opinion, dialing up the best sound in them, will have your PA guy needing to make adjustments of his own just to get it sounding how you want through the PA.
I'm not sure of your intended use - If it's in the studio or whatever, get the best studio monitors you can afford - They are expensive but well worth it. If it's stage, Get a couple of the flattest (again, will be expensive) stage monitors (12 and horn maybe?) that are marketed as 'Stageworthy studio monitors'. What you are aiming for is a speaker that simply give you what it's given, but louder. None of these fandangled digitally enhanced sub bass bastards that are getting around in the budget ranges!
Thanks
Pauly

You have really good & cheap kangaroo hamburger.

Xitone my friend, I’m very satisfied, i dont know if you’ve considered it but that info i took was from his website directly. And hell make sure no matter what youll be supported. You have no idea what he did for me to make sure i was happy....no ONE does what mick does and his product IMHO, humbly, is the best accessory soundwise for the axe 3....but i hope you find what youre lookin for and good luck! Let us know how it turns out

The Atomic Neo MkII is a really great sounding speaker so if you can get your hands on one, I don't regret it myself. Having said that, the only place the sound difference between it and a quality speaker is apparent is in a really good sounding room with just the right number of people to soak up the sound - certainly not in your average venue. Like Pauly said, at home get the best studio monitors you can, for live get something of quality with a flat response and don't worry about the badge on it. Just my 2 cents...

Yes thanks for all the feedback guys but the Gemini’s and Atomics are out of stock here in Australia and the Xitones get really expensive after shipping and exchange rates. Plus I want two speakers for stereo. I think I’m going to go with some PA’s speakers. The Yamaha DRX’s get a fair bit of love and seem like good value for money but now I’m unsure of what diameter speaker to get. Heart says get 15’s but head says 12’s or 10’s would be better. Plus they have a Mark 2 series out now but there’s isn’t much information out there about them.

Or you could do what I do. I'm in Australia, and I use two Line 6 Powercab Pluses. Set about 2 metres apart, they give great stereo spread, and at 250W each, they shift some significant air. In the Flat mode, they're pretty good FRFR speakers, but you can also load IRs into them thus freeing up some DSP on the Axe Fx III. I also have a Helix Rack connected to mine via the Line 6 link, so the Axe Fx III simply plugs into the main guitar inputs. For smaller gigs, one of the 1x12 cabs will do nicely. For medium gigs, both together are great. Both those scenarios are about as close as you can get to the "amp in the room" thing. And for big gigs, use them as stage monitors, with feeds going to FOH.
Both my Helix AND the Axe Fx III sound great through the PC+s. Different from each other, but both great.
And if you don't want two separate cabs, Line 6 have just released a 2x12 Powercab at 500W. But it's heavier, and doesn't have the versatility I need from two separate 1x12s.

Listen to the 15s and 12s with some music you know and love. It's really the only way to know which would be better for you.
Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom