Buy artists' presets

Dom1

Hello,

Is there a service where I can buy or request presets from different artists ?

Thanks

Dom

there was a rumor a year back that cliff was working on something like this, but for now there are just other users in the forums

I think there would be a market for this especially new users

Problem of course being even when you've got an artist exact patches, such as the Larry Mitchell patches, or the guitarist who used to be in Brit Floyd, I find I sound nothing like them...

Its the same thing I ran into with analog gear. I'd go drop a few grand, get all the pedals someone like David Gilmour used, copy photos of his knobs and get everything set exactly right and I still didn't sound like Gilmour...

@Danny Danzi has a service, where he will create a patch specifically for your guitar and playing to match the sound of a specific artist or recording.

@Moke makes very good song specific presets that seem to translate well to other guitarists. Www.custompresets.com

I think some of Metallica's actual presets are floating around the forum.
Hello,

Im looking for a good country sound , the cleaner sounds seem harder to come by.

Problem of course being even when you've got an artist exact patches, such as the Larry Mitchell patches, or the guitarist who used to be in Brit Floyd, I find I sound nothing like them...

Its the same thing I ran into with analog gear. I'd go drop a few grand, get all the pedals someone like David Gilmour used, copy photos of his knobs and get everything set exactly right and I still didn't sound like Gilmour...

One of the big things there is....you have to study the artist if you want to sound like them. If you play like you, and I give you a Hendrix, Page or Vai patch....you will always sound like you.

To me...this is a GREAT thing because you have achieved your own identity within your fingers. This is huge and what all of us should strive for in some sense.

However, we do have hobby players that just noodle around and like to sound like their hero's as well as those that may play in tribute acts.

Those guys sound like who they cop because they put the time in to not just play the licks, but the style, the vibrato, the execution, the feel. All this is important when you play through a sound that is modeling someone else.

If you play like evh you probably won't sound like Eric Gales even with the identical tone. So this may be why you've not done so well with presets.

I've been in a vh tribute band since 1995 as well as an original band that's toured and made a few records world wide. I still don't think I sound like Eddie, but I pay homage to him in my own way. Having a close tone helps me get a little closer, but it's still a frame of mind that I have to be in.

My original stuff sounds nothing like vh. I could use his sound on my stuff and sound like me. I really think that's the key to it. You have to play, think and do as the artist to sound like the artist. That's when the patch will help make the difference as it should put you in that frame of mind.

Not to be long winded....OK, we all know I fail there....lol! But...

Take a song like unchained by vh. The 3 intro chords are D sus, Bb sus, C sus etc right? If you don't play and execute those chords the way Eddie does using the strings he chose to strike in those chords, it will sound like a variation of unchained....but will not be correct.

Stupid stuff like that makes or breaks sounding like someone using their sound. That's probably why Ted Nugent felt so let down when he plugged into Ed's rig expecting to sound like Ed, and still sounded like Ted. Lol!

Ok thanks everyone, what I really need is help with setting up a sound & how to navigate this machine. The options are endless .

The idea of selling presets rubs me the wrong way.

Just curious...why would you feel that way? Do you have any idea how long it takes to cop a tone and get it dialed in correctly? It doesn't stop with tone matching. Moke and I have had some pretty intense conversations about this. At times, we have spent 6-8 hours dialing in a custom tone for someone. We both work day jobs...should we not be paid for 6-8+ hours worth of work trying to nail something so exact, it makes the hair on your arms stand? And we have done it.

We've failed a few times too due to the source material not being as great as it could be as well as the DI signals sent to us not being pristine. And guess what....neither one of us take money from someone if we fail. Should we? Yes because we did the work, but we don't. How on earth could a service such as this rub you the wrong way? No disrespect intended here....but these kinds of comments really rub ME the wrong way. I'll put it another way.

You work your day job for 8 hours. Most people may make what....$175 to $300+ for 8 hours, right? What makes what we do any different? I spend 6-8 hours on a tone that I may not even get paid for because the circumstances may not be as correct as they should....c'mon man. I have a real job that preset creation takes me away from. You better believe I'm going to charge for a specialty service. And rightfully so. Spend 6-8 hours creating something for someone and see how you like getting a goose egg for it...or because people feel it should be "free". What we do is not easy, let me tell you. The stories Moke and I could share would make you ask us why we bother. Trust me on that one. ;)

I charge what my presets are worth as well as the time they take to create. It doesn't really bother me if people come to me, Moke, or anyone else. It's not my main source of income. I've provided the service for those that are in need of boutique, near exact sounds. I may do 5-10 per month. I'm fine with that. I'm not trying to start a business doing it. It's for people that know what they want and aren't going to bitch about shelling out the money to get what they want. And if I fail, I fail...I don't ask for a dime. Moke and I have both have gone home with our tails between our legs a few times. And this rubs YOU the wrong way? Have a heart dude. :*(

Just curious...why would you feel that way? Do you have any idea how long it takes to cop a tone and get it dialed in correctly? It doesn't stop with tone matching. Moke and I have had some pretty intense conversations about this. At times, we have spent 6-8 hours dialing in a custom tone for someone. We both work day jobs...should we not be paid for 6-8+ hours worth of work trying to nail something so exact, it makes the hair on your arms stand? And we have done it.

We've failed a few times too due to the source material not being as great as it could be as well as the DI signals sent to us not being pristine. And guess what....neither one of us take money from someone if we fail. Should we? Yes because we did the work, but we don't. How on earth could a service such as this rub you the wrong way? No disrespect intended here....but these kinds of comments really rub ME the wrong way. I'll put it another way.

You work your day job for 8 hours. Most people may make what....$175 to $300+ for 8 hours, right? What makes what we do any different? I spend 6-8 hours on a tone that I may not even get paid for because the circumstances may not be as correct as they should....c'mon man. I have a real job that preset creation takes me away from. You better believe I'm going to charge for a specialty service. And rightfully so. Spend 6-8 hours creating something for someone and see how you like getting a goose egg for it...or because people feel it should be "free". What we do is not easy, let me tell you. The stories Moke and I could share would make you ask us why we bother. Trust me on that one. ;)

I charge what my presets are worth as well as the time they take to create. It doesn't really bother me if people come to me, Moke, or anyone else. It's not my main source of income. I've provided the service for those that are in need of boutique, near exact sounds. I may do 5-10 per month. I'm fine with that. I'm not trying to start a business doing it. It's for people that know what they want and aren't going to bitch about shelling out the money to get what they want. And if I fail, I fail...I don't ask for a dime. Moke and I have both have gone home with our tails between our legs a few times. And this rubs YOU the wrong way? Have a heart dude. :*(

That sounds more like a consulting service than selling presets though. Big difference.

That sounds more like a consulting service than selling presets though. Big difference.

It's definitely not a consulting service. We create presets. You pick the sound you want from your favorite artist, send the source files of that artist and your DI tracks, and we create the preset as close to the original as we can using your feed like you were sitting here next to us. How do you get consulting service out of that? I'm lost?

Oh well...doesn't matter. What we do doesn't need to be justified. But it's not a bad idea to have a little insight before you post negatively in a thread that really doesn't matter to you.

I explained it in a language anyone could understand and you got consulting service out of my response? I don't think you read it all.

Not trying to be a dick....but if you have a problem with paid presets, why bring negativity into a thread where the original poster asked for guys like us?

That is the only reason I decided to question you. Who cares if paid presets rub you the wrong way....this thread wasn't about you.

A man asked to buy artist presets in the heading and asked for a service. The fine guys on the forum delivered names of people that would give the guy what he wanted. Seems cut and dry to me. :-/

Completely agree with Danny here.

I think people must differentiate between sharing your personal presets, which is like a community thing, then asking someone else to spend their time to build a preset for you.

It is the same thing as a professional photographer putting "free" personal photos on the web, then you ask him to photograph your weeding for free.

I use to build guitar pedals for other people. I always reference my source schematics, parts supplier, etc. If the person wants to build it themselves, go for it. What they were paying me was my time to solder, drill the enclosure, etc. I even break it down in the order receipt.

Dude! Time is a very limited and expensive resource. If someone is charging you X to spend 6h building a preset for YOU, and not using that time themselves to spend for example with their family, you have to respect that. If you don't want to pay for it, fine. But you have to see that it is a very specialized service, and this has to have a price.

It is just simple artisans trading, like anything else.

It's definitely not a consulting service. We create presets. You pick the sound you want from your favorite artist, send the source files of that artist and your DI tracks, and we create the preset as close to the original as we can using your feed like you were sitting here next to us. How do you get consulting service out of that? I'm lost?

Oh well...doesn't matter. What we do doesn't need to be justified. But it's not a bad idea to have a little insight before you post negatively in a thread that really doesn't matter to you.

I explained it in a language anyone could understand and you got consulting service out of my response? I don't think you read it all.

Not trying to be a dick....but if you have a problem with paid presets, why bring negativity into a thread where the original poster asked for guys like us?

That is the only reason I decided to question you. Who cares if paid presets rub you the wrong way....this thread wasn't about you.

A man asked to buy artist presets in the heading and asked for a service. The fine guys on the forum delivered names of people that would give the guy what he wanted. Seems cut and dry to me. :-/
And you don't have to buy them. But some people will want to.

Hey man, I just dropped a one-liner. You're the one making it about me!

I think it's cool if someone hires you specifically for the purpose of creating a preset for himself. It makes perfect sense that you would get paid, and that someone should expect to pay you for doing work specifically for him. That's basically a consulting arrangement, so I don't know why you're bothered by the word.

What I think is much less cool is if I create some presets for my own use that sound good, you ask me to share them, and then I charge you rather than give them to you for free. I'd rather have a collaborative environment where we all work together to create the best tones that we can from this amazing little machine, rather than an economy where everyone is trying to sell their personal presets.

Hey man, I just dropped a one-liner. You're the one making it about me!

I think it's cool if someone hires you specifically for the purpose of creating a preset for himself. It makes perfect sense that you would get paid, and that someone should expect to pay you for doing work specifically for him. That's basically a consulting arrangement, so I don't know why you're bothered by the word.

What I think is much less cool is if I create some presets for my own use that sound good, you ask me to share them, and then I charge you rather than give them to you for free. I'd rather have a collaborative environment where we all work together to create the best tones that we can from this amazing little machine, rather than an economy where everyone is trying to sell their personal presets.

I get what you're saying....my issue was, someone opened up a thread asking for guys like us that do preset creation. All well and good, right? You came in and said "paying for presets rubs you the wrong way". You've made it about you and your opinion at that point to ME. You disregarded that someone was in search of us. So I explained in full, as courteously as I could to try and make you see how and why the particular people mentioned in this thread, would charge for their preset creation.

No where did anyone say it was a consultation service. I'm not bothered by the word, but you are simply not understanding to even use that word. A consultation is when someone calls on you, or "consults" you for an opinion or advice. I do mix consultations in my business where someone sends me a mix, and I go through every instrument in the mix and tell them what is right or wrong with it. THAT is a consultation. Or, if someone asks me to listen to their tone and give my honest opinion, they are asking for my opinion via "consultation."

In a nutshell man, we've had a few discussions on this forum regarding us charging for presets. It's come up about 3-4 times now and honestly, the issue is people are mislead. I still think you don't quite understand what is going on here or you wouldn't even be posting the way you are. The issue people have, is they simply do not understand what we do, how we do it, or how long it takes. So right away, when you go into it blindly, it's easy to say "wow, those guys are ripping people off for presets we can get for free from AxeChange". It's NOT the same thing.

I'm trying to educate you and others that we are NOT the enemy and are not twisting anyone's arm to buy from us or work with us. I was hoping it would be totally understood which is why I replied to you in the manner in which I did. If you don't like paying for presets, yet you say you understand what we are doing and why...why would you post your dismay about paying for presets in a thread that asked for us specifically? See my point? I'm not trying to be confrontational....I just don't understand your reasoning or how you feel it's a consultation. You mentioned it rubbed you the wrong way. I don't want to argue with you man....I don't want people misunderstanding what WE do. That's all. :)

If you want something that is either too hard or time consuming for you to do on your own and someone else is willing to do it for you for a price that you are willing to pay, I would call that a win-win situation. If someone is willing to do it for free, then that's called a windfall (for you). Either way seems good to me and there is certainly room for both here.

Back
Top Bottom