bummer...4U rack fits my Axe II but not my Axe III

tfodor

Inspired
As title mentions, the little lip in front of the rack is just too wide on one side so that the case won't latch. Kind of a bummer...Anyone have an idea on how I could hack on this case to make it fit?

Just to give more detail, I've tried all orientations on both sides, top 3 spaces and bottom 3 spaces. No matter how precise I try to set the Axe in the middle of the screws, one side will not latch over. The pink in that third photo shows the gap I need to make for the lip of the rack to fit in. It always fits on one side, but not the other. I've tried moving it less than 1mm and no matter what, one side still doesn't fit.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

hmm it should fit. that could be an issue with that specific rack case.

that said, i see the axe is shifting to the right a bit - the holes are off center. you should be able to screw in the left side fully and the right should snap into place. try to push it as far left as possible as you screw it in. i've had this happen with rack cases. 19" is 19" it should fit.

hmm it should fit. that could be an issue with that specific rack case.

that said, i see the axe is shifting to the right a bit - the holes are off center. you should be able to screw in the left side fully and the right should snap into place. try to push it as far left as possible as you screw it in. i've had this happen with rack cases. 19" is 19" it should fit.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris. I had a feeling someone would say that as soon as I posted that photo :) From that point of view, I would slightly push the Axe to the left a HAIR.. an absolute HAIR...same thing. I kept doing that a few times, but after a few tries it would miraculously latch onto the other side, but I'd have the same issue on the original side.

This looks like an SKB rotomold case. You can make it all work if you cut the flange on the lid. Like this:

IMG_0236.jpg

ahh yes! I just found Yeks post about this. Thanks! Now I just gotta figure out how to cut through it..... Looks like Yek had the same issue as I do.
I used a $20 "dremel" like thing I got at Harbor Freight. Do not recommend. I nearly lost an eye. But a proper Dremel with a proper cutting blade would make quick work of it.

I had a similar issue with a KSR Artemis II and my Gator case.

I was not able to close the lid since the handles extended out too much and it prevented it from closing all the way.

I shipped it back to Kyle Rhodes and he removed the handles.

I really wanted to keep using the Gator case because

1) it was super light

2) didn't cost a lot

3) all my other rack gear was in similar rack cases so I could stack them

4) pretty sturdy case

I am glad you posted this one since I need to check to see if I'll have an issues with my III and the Gator case (it's currently in a 12 space where the rack rails are far enough back from the lid that it doesn't cause me any issues).

If you're gonna cut it, safer to use one of those tiny mini-saws, will take a tad longer but I too have had some close calls with rotary tools on large unwieldy stuff.....use the mini saw, it's cheaper and safer, and the time you will save is probably only a minute with the rotary tool

Back
Top Bottom