Building Pedalboard for MFC-101...Should I get EV-1 Vol/Expression Pedals?

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if there have been a bunch of posts on this already (I couldn't find any). I'm building a pedalboard to go with my MFC-101, and I'm trying to find the best volume/expression pedal for me. For those of you that have an Ev-1 or have used an EV-1, what is your take? Does the EV-1 meet your needs? How is the EV-1 better than a Mission Engineering or BOSS pedals that I see many Axe FX users using? I'm looking to get 2 pedals, one for volume and one for wah/whammy.

Thoughts on the EV-1?

I use two EV-1 pedals and one Mission EP1 controller. The EV-1 pedals are amazing, smooth, and beautifully engineered. They're ideal for fine control over volume and modulation. The Mission pedal is dedicated to wah / whammy and other "quick-movement" control. It has the same action as a standard wah, and really performs nicely for that. If you're thinking of going with two controllers as you described, I'd recommend the EV-1 for volume and a Mission for the other.

By the way, before I bought the EV-1 pedals, I used three Mission controllers. I've always felt the Missions weren't ideal for volume or other fine control. When I retooled my pedalboard, I kept one because it *is* ideal for wah.

I'm very happy with my Mission pedals. Replacement parts are easy/quick to get and install.
I bought a used one and felt the pot inside could stand to be replaced. A web order and three days later it arrived.
I do wish they were a bit lighter, but I suspect I will give up durability and longevity. They are built like tanks.
I often play small gigs and audience members often have "accidents" and step all over my stuff.
Also, check out the sizes, I think the EV-1 is a bit larger. This may be great for those that fill big shoes.

I'm looking to get 2 pedals, one for volume and one for wah/whammy.

I have heard that the EV-1's a very nice mostly from Mark Day [who might be biased] ;) . But think of it this way, they're designed precisely for the MFC interaction so I would imagine they're perfect.

I had to buy mine prior to the EV-1's that came out and found the Jim Dunlop DVP3's to be a great fit for me. I have 2 of them and they work flawlessly, would love to get the EV-1's someday.

The EV-1 controller is quite a bit larger than the Mission controller. Here's a shot of my pedalboard, showing the size difference between the pedals.

board.jpg

I use two EV-1 pedals and one Mission EP1 controller. The EV-1 pedals are amazing, smooth, and beautifully engineered. They're ideal for fine control over volume and modulation. The Mission pedal is dedicated to wah / whammy and other "quick-movement" control. It has the same action as a standard wah, and really performs nicely for that. If you're thinking of going with two controllers as you described, I'd recommend the EV-1 for volume and a Mission for the other.

By the way, before I bought the EV-1 pedals, I used three Mission controllers. I've always felt the Missions weren't ideal for volume or other fine control. When I retooled my pedalboard, I kept one because it *is* ideal for wah.

Just curious…why do you use two EV-1 pedals? How do you use each of the EV-1s if the Mission pedal is for wah/whammy?

Nice! Who did your pedalboard? That's another thing I'm working on…getting a custom pedalboard made, but first I have to figure out exactly how much room I will need.

Just curious…why do you use two EV-1 pedals? How do you use each of the EV-1s if the Mission pedal is for wah/whammy?
The leftmost EV-1 is a dedicated volume pedal. The one on the right is for blending / modulation control, such as delay level, reverb level, drive, crossfading between dual amps, etc. I use the Mission for wah, whammy, and leslie speed.

Nice! Who did your pedalboard? That's another thing I'm working on…getting a custom pedalboard made, but first I have to figure out exactly how much room I will need.
I built it myself. I've done so much on-the-road maintenance (re-lining, re-riveting, replacing hardware) on cases over the years that I've toured, that feel comfortable building my own cases when I need something that isn't standard. It's usually faster / cheaper for me to have a case manufacturer build flight cases, but for my pedalboard I wanted it to be exactly the size I needed and no more. My board is 31" wide, which was what I needed for the MFC-101 and the three expression pedals I use. The flight case is built to pretty standard ATA spec.

You can find plenty of options on eBay for pedalboard / flight case combos; I'd recommend getting one that is 3/8" rather than 1/4" plywood. It'll hold up better and for a case of this size won't be unmanageably heavy.

I built it myself. I've done so much on-the-road maintenance (re-lining, re-riveting, replacing hardware) on cases over the years that I've toured, that feel comfortable building my own cases when I need something that isn't standard. It's usually faster / cheaper for me to have a case manufacturer build flight cases, but for my pedalboard I wanted it to be exactly the size I needed and no more. My board is 31" wide, which was what I needed for the MFC-101 and the three expression pedals I use. The flight case is built to pretty standard ATA spec.

You can find plenty of options on eBay for pedalboard / flight case combos; I'd recommend getting one that is 3/8" rather than 1/4" plywood. It'll hold up better and for a case of this size won't be unmanageably heavy.

Thanks, Sleestak! I like your set-up, but I might want something just a little wider for a couple of other smaller pedals. I might try to go the DIY route like you did. Let me know if you have any other lessons learned that I should consider before diving into that.

Sleestak I can see you have TAP and TUNE on the same IA. How do you do that?
Sorry for not replying sooner! This is actually standard behavior for the TAP assignment as an IA. If you hold down the button for a few seconds, it'll switch to tuner mode.

Nice board. I am trying to build me one as well. But I am researching now. How do YOU keep all those items from sliding around and also the try is it connected to case and what is under tray?

board.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I could never understand the point in these bulky, heavy and expensive expression pedals. It's just a potentiometer in a box.

So I personally use Roland EV-5 pedals - they are smaller, very lightweight and cheap. And they last for years. Why wouldn't they? And you could buy a dozen for backup for the price of one of these "high end" things.

Now, I don't want to discourage you from buying the EV-1s. After all, lots of people obviously care for expensive expression pedals, so there must be something in them. I couldn't tell a difference. So maybe you won't either? Just try EV-5s out, maybe you'll be happy with them, too.

Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom