Building my first Tele (Warmoth)

New Warmoth neck with pre drilled holes...
Are those just pilot holes needing to be drilled a bit more??

Thanks

The Warmoth body is nice . Remember when you come to assemble the guitar there is an order you must use to properly determine the position of the control plate to perfectly align with the pick guard .
You should fit the neck and bridge first to give you reference for straight on the pick guard .Then when the pick guard is screwed down you can position the control plate. On the subject of hardware I have some firm recommendations. Bridge The best vintage sounding three saddle is the Gotoh , available with or without sides
View attachment 82320
Next the control plate and jack;
The jack should be and electro socket;
View attachment 82321
The controls plate and pick guard need to be a perfect fit for USA or Mexico Fender or you will have problems.
Obviously these are just my recommendations but they are from extensive testing of pretty much all that is available . I was shocked to hear the difference between the brands of brass saddles and how many compensated ones didn't get even close it correct intonation. I compared the tone on a real 53 and whilst I still thought the original bridge had the best tone (F knows why) this Gotoh was a close second and quit a bit better than the others. It also was pretty much dead on intonation with a set of 10s.

I'm getting ready this week to begin installing the bridge and neck. I purchased the pick guard from Warmoth, so I'm expecting a real nice fit.
I have the bridge and output jack as mentioned above. I will follow the parts installation order that @Andy Eagle recommended.

Tele update...
The build is now complete. I have included some pictures.
I want to say many thanks to all of you who gave me advice on the build!
It is interesting just how much the grain changes in the light!

I have two special shout outs.

First to @Burgs
I saw his video for the AX3 preset “ Burg's Mumbles FW:16b” March 25, 2021.
There he plays a yellow Tele parts caster. This project was born from seeing that video!!
Thanks Burgs! :trophy:

Second to @Andy Eagle
With your recommendations and critical assembly order instructions, everything went perfect!
Thank you Mr. Eagle :cool:

I had a pro luthier do the level crown and polish for the final touch.
I have played it for about 4 hours now, and am really enjoying it.
I have to say, everything I have purchased from Warmoth has been great!

IMG_6221.JPGIMG_6213.JPGIMG_6227.JPGIMG_6231.JPGIMG_6193.JPGIMG_6194.JPGIMG_6196.JPGIMG_6184.JPG

Two things I want to mention after having played this for hours now.

1. This thing is resonant! Great sustain acoustically.
2. The corner of the bridge plate, where my hand rests, (above the bridge pickup) that corner is a little sharp for me.
When doing fast picking, my fingers hit it. Not the end of the world but both the top corner edges are a little sharp.

Back
Top Bottom