Building a preset on the AXE FX 2 in 13 steps (the duguy's way)

Julien Meirone

Inspired
Hope you will enjoy. I have tried to traduce this best as i can.

1) The most important : Keep in mind the type of sound you want to build. The axe fx offers an ocean of possibilities and we quickly made drown if you do not know what we are looking. At the beginning, make simple presets. It’s not because a preset is complicated that it will sound better.

2) Place a REV block, Far Field CAB types can work well in some cases too.

3) Try all amps with a basic IR types or mix of OH in the ideal (I use recto OH) and make your choice. You can also choose to mix two amps together.

4) For geeks, you can immediately choose the position of tone stack if your goal is clearly to create an amp that would not exist physically speaking. This is optional.

5) Essential stage : Choosing one or two IRs. The IR is by far the most important tonal choices and defines itself the final sound so take your time for make the good (s) choice, or you can import a custom IR or use a tone match block that can replace the CAB block.

6) The foundation of your sound is OK. Now, we must go a little in detail before going further. The choices of the microphone and proximity are essentials because it will refine your sound and especially the bass response. Feel free to touch the motor drive because it can give a more realistic color to your sound.

7) Now check that the amp "discusses" well with the (s) speaker. To do this, adjust the resonance parameters in speaker AMP block tab , The low resonance is the most important and find her "sweet spot" optimizes interactions between amps / speakers. This step is optional.

8) You can add a COMP block before the amp to reduce a too much dynamic instrument. (Especially for clean and crunch sounds) This step is optional.

9) It is time to choose the amount of gain to use with master volume and drive, The input trim and the boost button can add gain to some amps and the overdrive function may occur (for example on a mesa). If your amp does not provide a enough gain or you want to change the saturation, you can add a drive block (beware of feedback in some cases). Metalheads Tip : A tube screamer with the drive at 0 and level 10 can improve the pick attack.

10) Crucial step: Reduce bandwith. It may seem to kill the sound of the preset for somes but it is essential. You can use the low cut and high cut CAB block, add a PEQ block after the CAB and use the function "blocking " of bands 1 and 5 associated with" Q "To define more precisely the bandwidth of the instrument (there is nothing to prevent che do a little eq on the remaining three bands) or use the low cut and high cut filter block and the opportunity to sculpt the sound. Personally, I like to cut quite violently : From 130Hz to 7000Hz sometimes. Keep in mind that the sound of the guitar is the mids. This step is tricky because you have to keep the grain of the sound making it the most mixable possible.

11) The long awaited moment (I do not do it first) : Set the AMP block as you would on a real amp. Bass, treble, middle, presence, depth (0 is often recommended for this function except for poor amp bass) ... The switches Bright, saturation and fat can provide interesting colors.

12) You can go into the advanced settings of the AMP block if you want. However, the EQ tab AMP block can be extremely powerful to customize your sound. This step is optional.

13) You can also add GEQ and PEQ or other blocks , the delays for leads, making scenes ... So get ready to go on stage, recording or rehearsing with your fx axis 2. Just enjoy.

Advanced Tips

• For metalheads: Your dynamic must not exceed 2 dbs difference between a normal power chord and a palm muted power chord.The excess of 125/250 Hz can create gaps too large and dynamic despite the low cut already present.Feel free to check all this on cubase or other and even spectrum analyzer (plug-in voxengo is recommended).
• If compression is required for your sound, note that the MBC block is more accurate and can keep the grain of the more easily during heavy compressions than the basic block COMP but is also more difficult to settle.Prefer no compression instead of bad compression.
• Adding one or two noise gate may be necessary in order to have optimal control over your sound.The settings depend of style of music played and the type of preset (clean, crunch, rhythm, lead, ambient ...).The input noise gate must be good enough most of the time but if you are using a block or COMP DRIVE before the amp it is advisable to put a noise gate block between the block and DRIVE AMP / COMP choosing one in sidechain input select for a optimal detection. For a high gain preset, you can also add a second noise gate after reducing bandwidth and before the effectssuch delays for increased control; Here again, the sidechain function is most useful.

11) The long awaited moment (I do not do it first) : Set the AMP block as you would on a real amp. Bass, treble, middle, presence, depth (0 is often recommended for this function except for poor amp bass) ... The switches Bright, saturation and fat can provide interesting colors.

LOL
I appreciate the post but it always cracks me up when I see basic eq being left right till the end and motor drive etc being messed with before it.
I wonder what the hell some of you guys do if you had to play through a regular amp!?!?

mic/resonance and low cut before even touching the bass!?!? Personally I think finding the right IR can take care of those issues right off the bat.

Very good, but the word traduce would be better replaced with describe. Translation issue perhaps from traduire ?

It's just one way to create a preset and of course it's totally personnal. Anyone can create an incredible guitar sound on the axe fx by is own. IMO, the bloc CAB is the most important and it define all your tone so the motor drive can be settle at the same moment where the IR is chosen. Also, that why i choose to reduce bandwith too before to settle the amp. Because i know that everything i will do on the AMP block will depend on what i have done on the CAB block. I prefer to do this instead of settle the amp, reduce bandwith and realise that i have too many bass at the worst moment. Moreover, if you have a lack of bass at the end, you can add some by using a graphic EQ wich is more precise. But even with this method, i never had a lack of bass and the mids are the frequencies that i add most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom