Building 3 P90 Strat--Suggestions? (Warmoth)

Can I get some suggestions on a set of 3 p90's, or otherwise?

I was thinking of going with Duncan's because I've always liked them, but they don't have a set of 3. I had considered putting maybe a hot bridge p90 in, and two vintage necks? Would that...balance out?

Bonus question: I'm fairly okay with soldering pickups, but I'm new to single coils and p90's entirely. I've always rocked humbuckers. Do I need to buy some kind of wire and a capacitor? What kind of capacitor? What pots, 500k? All I've ever done was swap pups and keep existing hardware for the most part.

I want to wire it up like a standard Strat with a 5-way blade. Thanks!! This guitar is exciting for me. It's my first build, and I went crazy on it. Chambered, F-hole, mahogany body, and a rosewood neck! I can't tolerate those modern c necks Fender puts on everything these days, it breaks my wrist, and I don't dig their tiny new genital-shaped headstock's, so they can shove their Noventa! :)

Excellent. I'm certainly curious if I can get something hot in the bridge without having like, negative synergy. I'm a huge Tom Delonge fan, and have always kept a hot hum bucker in the bridge. I am building a P90 Strat to open up my tonal palette, but still want to be around home base at the same time.

Dang, I really hoped for more input. I tried on the gear page too to no response. I hope I don’t screw this up if I wing it.

Cant go wrong with a Duncan P90 but why 3? the middle will be in the way. You could do two humbucker size ones and a fat single coil in the middle or just two. This would give you a more reasonable rout that is basically HSH ( modern Fender) . On practically all three HB or P90 guitars the middle pickup has to be too low to sound right or its in the way.

Well crazy enough I played an HSS Strat for the first time and I was totally in love with the tonal options. It was the 2020 HM Strat. I just didn’t want anything to do with the Floyd Rose. I’ve exclusively played humbuckers for all my years.

I especially liked that middle position in combination with the bridge and neck, so skipping that is not an option. Having it be lower for a good sound and keeping it out of the way, if that’s really what you meant to say, sounds perfectly fine?

The only reason I went with 3 P90’s and not HSS is because I wanted that sort of sound, very different from my humbucker guitars, but still in that ballpark. The compromise I am considering is a hot P90 in the bridge.

I am wondering too if I were to end up with two RWRP neck pups—in the neck and middle position—will they be out of phase? They’d be from the same place. I’m asking them if that’s an issue, but I don’t know if they‘ll be confused, or care to answer. I’ve had some flukes with customer service sometimes when you try to get technical. Would they still work in phase, but just not be hum-cancelling?

Lower because it gets in the way, definitely not better from a tone perspective. I meant P90s in humbucker size so HSH would really be P90/s/P90 but if you already ordered the body. In calibrated sets the neck and middle are pretty much the same or in fact the same so just buy one bridge and two neck and all will be well.

I played a 3 humbucker guitar for years, middle pickup wasn't "in the way" for me.
I'm surprised , considering hum buckers are designed to be no more than 3mm away from a string fretted on the last fret. In practice they often have to be lower than this but it is detrimental to the intended tone.

Back
Top Bottom