[BUG?] Selecting Axe FX 3 as audio output on Mac OS 11.2.3 hangs several software packages (Guitar Pro, Youtube...)

luckymethod

Inspired
Hello, I'm having a lot of issues using the Axe FX 3 as an sound card to output my laptop's audio to play along with. Whenever I select the Axe FX 3 as the default output in my Mac's toolbar, Guitar Pro routinely becomes unresponsive and the same happens with Chrome when I use Youtube. I can provide a video if necessary, happens reliably.

AXE FX 3 Firmware: 16 beta 5 but happens with v15 all the same.

Edit: added a video of the bug in action.

Edit 2: added a video of a similar problem with Youtube.

This also happens in Safari, a little less gracefully. Chrome seems to recover better from the audio device switch, but shows the same syptoms.

Last edited:
Have you tried force closing Guitar Pro and then re-opening it while the Axe-Fx remains the selected audio device?

Of course I can't go back and check how this has worked in the past, but my recollection is that Guitar Pro has always crapped out like this. It doesn't like the sample rate being changed while it's running. And since your default for the MBP is probably 44.1kHz and then the Axe-Fx runs at 48kHz, that causes the issue.

I use that version all the time with minor issues. Do you have the axe iii set as the audio device for in and out in GP? The issues I have relate to the axe being turned off or on while GP is running.

Refresh your browser tab/restart the application....

I'm guessing it's the change in sample rates that isn't handled by the programs well on the fly.

Have you tried force closing Guitar Pro and then re-opening it while the Axe-Fx remains the selected audio device?
yes, in that case Guitar Pro simply hangs. I don't think the issue is with the change of sample rate, I think there's something missing in the "digital rights" part of the USB audio protocol implemented in the AXE FX 3 because I also have issues with Youtube playing videos - they magically solve themselves as soon as I select the Macbook speakers. Take a look:

Refresh your browser tab/restart the application....

I'm guessing it's the change in sample rates that isn't handled by the programs well on the fly.
I don't think so, it's not consistent with what I'm seeing, and it seems like some sort of digital right management (or lack of thereof) is more likely to be the culprit here.

I use that version all the time with minor issues. Do you have the axe iii set as the audio device for in and out in GP? The issues I have relate to the axe being turned off or on while GP is running.
If I select the Axe, GP crashes instantly. Which version of the OS are you using?

If the AXE wasn't on when the computer started up (or wake from sleep) I usually have to unplug the USB from the mac, wait a beat, and plug it back in. This happens with the three usb audio devices I have used with my iMac running Big Sur.

Things get odd sometimes - I can have a browser playing out of my computer speakers and Spotify playing thru the AXE to my monitors. Other times, that doesn't work.

If the AXE wasn't on when the computer started up (or wake from sleep) I usually have to unplug the USB from the mac, wait a beat, and plug it back in. This happens with the three usb audio devices I have used with my iMac running Big Sur.

Things get odd sometimes - I can have a browser playing out of my computer speakers and Spotify playing thru the AXE to my monitors. Other times, that doesn't work.
Seems like you hit the jackpot, thanks!

This behavior to me indicates that there is something wrong in the USB firmware of the AXE. @Admin M@ considering we have very easy to reproduce debug steps, could you get someone to look into it?

Of course I can't go back and check how this has worked in the past, but my recollection is that Guitar Pro has always crapped out like this. It doesn't like the sample rate being changed while it's running. And since your default for the MBP is probably 44.1kHz and then the Axe-Fx runs at 48kHz, that causes the issue.
Can almost guarantee it’s the sample rate changing. Windows has problems with this as well when switching from the axe fx’s interface (48k sample rate) in my DAW back to windows which uses my other interface (44.1k sample rate). Anything that gets “caught in the crossover” will stop working.

Can almost guarantee it’s the sample rate changing. Windows has problems with this as well when switching from the axe fx’s interface in my DAW back to windows which uses my other interface. Anything that gets “caught in the crossover” will stop working.

No, it is most definitely not and I can prove it: this issue simply doesn't manifest itself with a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen. If what you say happens with the Axe but not with other interfaces (you would have to try) then it points to other USB issues that should also be looked at. In this case, this issue has nothing to do with the sample rate change.

I don't think so, it's not consistent with what I'm seeing, and it seems like some sort of digital right management (or lack of thereof) is more likely to be the culprit here.

????????

DRM? What?

Do your other interfaces run at 48Khz when they are plugged in?

In this case, this issue has nothing to do with the sample rate change.

OK, if you say so.

????????

DRM? What?

Do your other interfaces run at 48Khz when they are plugged in?

OK, if you say so.
The other interface runs at 96k the way I have it set, but setting at 48k works just as well. I'll make a video to put your mind at ease if you really need it.

The possibility of some kind of "protected path" handshake issue was a conjecture that I developed thinking about the two most reproducible issues but another poster has identified the real problem. Plugging in and out seems to do the trick, which points to something in the USB implementation in the Axe since other interfaces don't have the same issue.

Interestingly enough, the Scarlett USED to do that and have issues coming out of sleep mode, those were addressed about a year ago by focusrite and it's been smooth sailing since then.

This is what the videos indicate to me
  1. OS is set to use an interface
  2. app gets opened and is using said interface
  3. app plays sound and is now expecting that interface for sound
  4. you force the OS to use a different interface
  5. App has no idea what to do because you "pulled the plug" on the interface it's using
  6. App hangs
This issue is further exacerbated due to the changing sample rates between interfaces (and potentially the apps as well)

This is what the videos indicate to me
  1. OS is set to use an interface
  2. app gets opened and is using said interface
  3. app plays sound and is now expecting that interface for sound
  4. you force the OS to use a different interface
  5. App has no idea what to do because you "pulled the plug" on the interface it's using
  6. App hangs
This issue is further exacerbated due to the changing sample rates between interfaces (and potentially the apps as well)
Then why that doesn't happen with my Scarlett or when I plug and unplug the Axe?

You're too quick to dismiss this. I found a real bug.

Back
Top Bottom