Bug or bad use of boost in Amp block ?

lauke-lux

Fractal Fanatic
When using the boost in the amp block (Euro Red Modern) I encounter a very strong bass boost that comes up when playing palm muted after about 500ms. I checked all my patch (delays off, compressor off etc, even CAB block off) and it is related to the use of the boost function in the amp (+12dB). I use the boost function to save a distortion block for lead tones in the original patch.
It can be very easily reproduced with the Euro patch on the lead scene with the Euro Red Modern scene (maybe another as on the screen I think in the original patch it was scene 1 or 2)
Any advice on this (other than : scratch the boost and use a distortion block ;-)) would be appreciated.

Edit : when playing palm muted on the saddles of the vibrato block. Does not happen when palm muting else on the strings.

Attachments

• 1705769733052.png
    1705769733052.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Euro Red already has a load of bass (the real amp as well). If you boost the front end without applying a low cut, it will get even worse.

The input boost types are not exactly the same as their Drive block equivalents. The input boosts just apply the same curve.
AFAIK you don't get the low cut from the Drive block equivalent, if there's any (I may be wrong).

So, apply a high pass (low cut) to the amp's input. Use the Input EQ section of the Amp block.

The input boost types are not exactly the same as their Drive block equivalents. The input boosts just apply the same curve.
AFAIK you don't get the low cut from the Drive block equivalent, if there's any (I may be wrong).
Doesn't the low cut in the drive come as a result of the curve?

I would assume you'd get the same cut, just not the distortion.

I don't typically use the Boost, though...

When using the boost in the amp block (Euro Red Modern) I encounter a very strong bass boost that comes up when playing palm muted after about 500ms. I checked all my patch (delays off, compressor off etc, even CAB block off) and it is related to the use of the boost function in the amp (+12dB). I use the boost function to save a distortion block for lead tones in the original patch.
It can be very easily reproduced with the Euro patch on the lead scene with the Euro Red Modern scene (maybe another as on the screen I think in the original patch it was scene 1 or 2)
Any advice on this (other than : scratch the boost and use a distortion block ;-)) would be appreciated.

Edit : when playing palm muted on the saddles of the vibrato block. Does not happen when palm muting else on the strings.

You could also be experiencing a low frequency node in your listening environment. If your speaker is the corner of a standard sized bedroom, you may have a bass node/boost when playing around A or Bb.

You could also be experiencing a low frequency node in your listening environment. If your speaker is the corner of a standard sized bedroom, you may have a bass node/boost when playing around A or Bb.
Possible of cours but it actually happens everywhere; attic with small home PA, rehearsing room with small PA, bars we play in. Ah, just on headphones there seems to be no issue. It is not a FW issue either.

Possible of cours but it actually happens everywhere; attic with small home PA, rehearsing room with small PA, bars we play in. Ah, just on headphones there seems to be no issue. It is not a FW issue either.

Hows your low cut in the cab block? Start at 80hz, then move higher if the issue still occurs. Also test with other amp types. As others have said the XTC has a ton of low end, just like the uberschall and friedman

Actually I have tried all the low cut options before posting the subject but it seems to seep "through anything". What made me think about a bug is that it really comes in as a kind of bass wave and so much later after hitting the strings (about 500ms). Only this amp also.
Yes I guess it's the amp type that must be more sensitive to this phenomena. Other amp blocks I use don't show this issue. I will check the Friedman though, don't use that one actually but with the Friedman this never struck me in the past with a band that played quite louder.
I didn't concentrate on this issue for years as the given scene is only used for soloing and we don't play very loud generally (bars only), but last friday I kind of "blew up" the bar as we played a "bit" :cool: louder during soundcheck and I decided to do something about this "now" as the coming summer we will do at least one bigger outdoor podium and I wouldn't want to nerve the sound guys haha.
Thanks for your advice all of you @RoshRoslin, @yek and @unix-guy.

Maybe yo can try to change the impedance curve to something different in the speaker tab of the amp block just in case it's an extreme resonance in that frequency.

Back
Top Bottom