Bug- MFC goes crazy cycling thru presets in Song mode (solved)

svl

Power User
Not sure if this is the MFC or the actual Axe, but here goes.

MFC on the latest FW, Axe FX II (MkI) on FW11. At a gig on Saturday, about 75% through a two hour set, up to now everything has been fine, then all of a sudden I step on UP to go to the next song in the Song Mode and the MFC just starts going nuts cycling up from preset to preset and the Axe itself defaults and hangs on preset 001.

Nothing I did would stop it until I hit both UP and DOWN together.

Do the tune, step on UP to the next song/preset and it's cool. Get to the second song after that and it does the wonky cycling thing again. This time I unplug the MFC and then it seems okay. Finish the show and go home.

Yesterday I set up my rig but didn't play it. I did upgrade the FW to 11.03 to see if that would help.

Just played my rig this morning to see if it's still wonky. Sure enough, it exhibits the same behavior, but it's not constant and doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason. I play a bunch of tunes, everything is cool, then it does it again. Unplug the MFC, plug it back in, it's normal. Play some more, then it wonks out again. Played for a half hour more, no issues.

The facts-
MFC latest FW, no issues before this past Saturday
Axe FX II was on FW11 when it started, but upgraded to FW11.03 today and bad behavior still exists
I move and set-up/teardown my own gear- no one touched it, dropped it, ect. Only possible "bumps' would have been on the drive to the venue. MFC is on a hardboard rack secured with Scotch all weather fasteners, couldn't get the MFC off without a crowbar. Board is transported in a soft case which is well padded and lays flat in car for transport, not on it's side.
Ethercon connector, also fastened to the board with Scotch fastener, cable from Ethercon to MFC is permanently held down with cable ties and mounting bases, they don't move. Back edge of MFC is about three inches from edge of pedal board, nothing touches them in the case or out.
Ethercon connector in guitar rack, also fastened to rack wall with Scotch. Cable from Ethercon to Axe is also cable tied down and adhered to guitar rack with mounting bases.
Ethercon cable has no damage, and has been used for the past year with no issue. Never been tripped over, pulled out, ect.

Also, another unusual thing happened this morning, but only once- playing one of my most used presets and went to use the volume pedal and it wouldn't work. I have my vol pedal as a "before the amp" volume to act as a virtual guitar knob. Switched presets and the volume pedal instantly worked again. Don't know if this is related but figured I'd mention it.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting discovery-

Just played a good bit again, and noticed that this issue happens more frequently when the preset you're on is on a Scene other than Scene 1 when you step up to the next preset. I still got it to replicate the problem when the Scene is on 1, but it's happening more often when the Scene was on 2, 3, ect.

Looks like erroneus MIDI traffic. Maybe some keys on the MFC are stuck? Did you try resetting the MFC?

I had a similar problem over the Summer. The MFC101 was acting up, sometimes it would work ok other times I would get the Timeout message or the Expression Pedals would stop working usually while setting up at a gig. I tried resetting everything a few times and reloaded the Firmware. Finally, I carefully cleaned the Midi and Cat5 Connections on the Axe and MFC with Deoxit and it's been working perfect ever since.

Buttons are all functioning well, no stickiness. I did the MFC reset (after I backed up the MFC), and then reloaded the latest FW. Problem now is I can't get Fractal Bot or even Sys Ex Librarian to upload the saved back-up. It is literally driving me crazy.

I'm using a Presonus Firepod as the midi interface- worked perfectly to back-up the MFC and load the FW (both via Fractal Bot), but now won't let me reload the back-up sys file. Any help would be much more than appreciated.

I would try a different Cat5 Cable, and if that doesn't work try to connect with the Midi Cable Connection.

Can't update with the Cat5, I am using a midi cable (midi into a Presonus Firepod). Works perfectly for everything except trying to load the back-up sys for the MFC. Basically when I push "begin" the Terminal window opens with nothing in it and the MFC just holds on the "waiting for file" deal...

This is going to sound silly but do you have the Midi Cable going to the correct IN or Out from the Firepod ?

Yep. In fact, I've tried it the "wrong" way as well. Cobbler just suggested this in the Fractal Bot thread I made about the issue- he suggested going thru the Axe as a midi interface and plugging in "in to in" and "out to out".

I'm trying it all, but so far no luck. :(

Did you try Cleaning the Midi Connectors ? Mine were dirty from the all 60 plus outside shows we had this summer.

SOLVED-

Couldn't get the back-up to load, so I just reprogrammed my MFC.

In doing so, I learned the UP toggle is the culprit of the "wonky behavior" (which means I reset the MFC for nothing, aggravated the piss outta myself and wasted my day. Oh well, learned a few new things). Not sure what it's major malfunction is, it almost seems like a "short" as the behavior happen with just a light touch to the switch with my finger (not a full depression of the switch).

Now need to find out how simple it is to change out a switch and what is the best kind of replacement switch to put in. Thanks to Yek, Rain and Cobbler for their help. :)

Back
Top Bottom