Brrrrrrrr!!

I know it sucks to be cold, but I'll confess to being a little envious of the yuletide vibe evoked by some of these snowy photos. Merry Christmas everybody!

What about the one toopy linked to? That's pretty much my idea -- sits outside where I'd want to keep my generator and lets me pick and choose what it power at the break panel.
I saw the Generlink one he suggested . Is that what you are referring to ? Never installed one since the utilities in my area don't allow them ..

I have one similar to this installed in my home . https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...Circuit-Transfer-Switch-Kit-3006HDK/202213700

Only 30 amp but handles all my emergency loads .. Heating , 2 refrigerators , microwave , fish tank and various receptacles and important lighting. Needs a little work to set up... the good thing is the the loads/ circuit breakers are set already for when the emergency arises .. no issues with overloading or tripping out the generator...

On a side note... I installed mine a few years ago when I lost power for 3 days ... so far never lost power again..hope I never need to use it . Good luck.

Its true. From a northerners perspective, its comical watching whole towns and cities come to a grinding halt over a couple inches of weather.

Yeah...

Lots of stories. Many moons ago, I wound up going around a corner kind of sideways...recovered just fine but a cop noticed...who proceeded to crash his squad car trying to pull me over and needed help to get it unstuck. I learned winter driving on Lake Eerie, so....he didn't even give me a warning, probably because he was so embarrassed. I've also lost count of the times I've run a red light (from already having stopped) because someone came up behind me way too fast and were instantly sliding sideways at me because they think ice means "brake harder" instead of "brake earlier".

It gets really scary when you see an 18-wheeler do it.

That small snowstorm turned huge traffic jam....I wound up riding my cyclocross bike around midtown Atlanta's totally empty streets for a few hours looking for a grocery store or bodga that was actually open...never did find one, and I didn't see a single car with a person in it the whole time. It was wild. A metro area of ~5 million people turned into a ghost town.

Why don't these municipalities keep some salt and a few trucks on hand? No excuse for a roadway to ever be a sheet of ice. Its not if it will freeze again, its when.

Well...they're convinced sand does something, so they don't even really use salt. In their half-defense, there aren't any car washes with undercarriage sprayers, so if they did that...all the cars would rust out. Also, they basically wait until there's a crash and then dump sand on top of that piece of ice and move onto the next crash....because they don't have enough trucks to do anything preventative.

Which is really a cost/benefit thing for them. We've gotten ice about 6-7 times that I can remember in the last 25 years or so. None of them were as bad as the first wet cold snap every year in Minnesota except for the traffic they caused, and the traffic was really only horrible that one time. I'd imagine that they could use the trucks for something else...but if they didn't maintain them properly, they'd just sit in storage for years at a time and not work the next time they needed them anyway.

Yeah...

Lots of stories. Many moons ago, I wound up going around a corner kind of sideways...recovered just fine but a cop noticed...who proceeded to crash his squad car trying to pull me over and needed help to get it unstuck. I learned winter driving on Lake Eerie, so....he didn't even give me a warning, probably because he was so embarrassed. I've also lost count of the times I've run a red light (from already having stopped) because someone came up behind me way too fast and were instantly sliding sideways at me because they think ice means "brake harder" instead of "brake earlier".

It gets really scary when you see an 18-wheeler do it.

That small snowstorm turned huge traffic jam....I wound up riding my cyclocross bike around midtown Atlanta's totally empty streets for a few hours looking for a grocery store or bodga that was actually open...never did find one, and I didn't see a single car with a person in it the whole time. It was wild. A metro area of ~5 million people turned into a ghost town.

Well...they're convinced sand does something, so they don't even really use salt. In their half-defense, there aren't any car washes with undercarriage sprayers, so if they did that...all the cars would rust out. Also, they basically wait until there's a crash and then dump sand on top of that piece of ice and move onto the next crash....because they don't have enough trucks to do anything preventative.

Which is really a cost/benefit thing for them. We've gotten ice about 6-7 times that I can remember in the last 25 years or so. None of them were as bad as the first wet cold snap every year in Minnesota except for the traffic they caused, and the traffic was really only horrible that one time. I'd imagine that they could use the trucks for something else...but if they didn't maintain them properly, they'd just sit in storage for years at a time and not work the next time they needed them anyway.
Pretty sure any DOT dump truck can be set up with a plow and salt spreader. When roads freeze here, its a huge failure of whatever municipal jurisdiction is in charge.

I work for an agency that operates bridges and tunnels. You better believe our roadways are open, no matter what. I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times we’ve temporarily lost a facility in the past 23 years. It was BIG news.

As far as cars rotting out, I dunno. Im not a car guy and seldom go thru car washes. I’ve yet to get in a car and end up sitting in the roadway due to salt rot. I think cars will fall apart around the body long before the body gives up. 30 years ago, maybe. Not today.

Pretty sure any DOT dump truck can be set up with a plow and salt spreader. When roads freeze here, its a huge failure of whatever municipal jurisdiction is in charge.

I work for an agency that operates bridges and tunnels. You better believe our roadways are open, no matter what. I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times we’ve temporarily lost a facility in the past 23 years. It was BIG news.

As far as cars rotting out, I dunno. Im not a car guy and seldom go thru car washes. I’ve yet to get in a car and end up sitting in the roadway due to salt rot. I think cars will fall apart around the body long before the body gives up. 30 years ago, maybe. Not today.

All that's possible and makes sense. It has been a long time since I've dealt with salt on the roads (and they were 90s cars...so almost 30 years).

I agree it's unforgiveable. But, I'm reasonably sure that's the reasoning. Or they don't care. I wouldn't put that past them either.

Yeah....it looks like the northeast got really, really slammed.

We're under a boil water advisory and a lot of my family has no water because some water mains burst. But, the worst of it seems to be over here.

I hope everyone else is doing okay, all things considered.

Totally lucked out near Boston, nothing but lots of wind and a bit of rain, at least where I am. So different than Buffalo for instance.

Well, this storms late (and hopefully final) eff you is this wonderful occurence:

43F29E93-A6E9-4DB7-B97C-0E0169048F97_1_105_c.jpeg

Thanfully (?) it burst while the HVAC guys were here bleeding the system so the pressure was off. I have a very wet, bedroom floor and a garage ceiling that had water pouring out of it to figure out now.

I called electricians for quotes on interlock switches this afternoon so I can use the generator, safely, in the next outage to keep the heat and water flowing. I'm also going to get a whole home quote, but spec'ed for "just the essentials" instead of literally the whole house.

So fun.

So, apparently somebody on YT said that the heatwave we're experiencing now is going to be followed by another storm.

Yay.

/sarcasm

Right? Surprised we didn't hear a boom.
Sorry to see you had some more mess to deal with.

As an aside, I stopped getting notifications for new posts on this thread on Sunday. Not sure why? That's why I blacked out after my last post. Is there something you can accidentally hit to stop notifications on a per thread basis?
Edit:
I see there is an "unwatch" button in the upper right, but it wasn't tapped. who knows.

Back
Top Bottom