"Brown Sound" tone test Q1.06

guitarzen

Inspired
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my latest Brown Sound tone attempt and see what you think. This is the "in the room" tone that I like to jam to old VH tunes with. The clips that say "no post effects added" are recorded straight from the Axe into Garageband with no post eq, reverb, etc. The other clips have some reverb added in Garageband to add back some "in the room" reverb, but it may be too much, since I don't really trust my ears anymore. Please let me know which reverb version you like better, and any improvements you could suggest to the tone. (btw - I know I can't play like Eddie, just having fun). Enjoy!

Personally I prefer it when there isn't any additional reverb added but either way it's good.

I know firmani79 asked, but how have you got your effects blocks in the Axe setup/organized for this clip? Any tips? Parallel routing of any blocks? Which amp/cab?

That sounds really good! I too like the 'No post effects added' clips better. Would love to look under the hood of that preset........

That sounds really good! I too like the 'No post effects added' clips better. Would love to look under the hood of that preset........
Hey Moke, you'd recognize a big piece of the preset. I started with your Eruption preset (which is awesome by the way!) and tweaked it for my gear. I adjusted the transformer match, bass cut, eq, some of the dynamics in the amp model, then added an Echoplex IR at the front, used slightly different phaser settings, added a chorus block for the "Pretty Woman" clip, then did a parallel reverb with predelay into the right channel. I added a delay block also in the right channel and flanger block but didn't use them in these clips. Mostly the mods were just to get my guitar sounding good for me playing in my room on general VH tunes and not tweaked for one specifically. I'll definitely post the preset later today when I figure out how to do it. Thanks Again for your awesome presets like Eruption, Boston and now Whitesnake. I can't wait to try that one this weekend!

Personally I prefer it when there isn't any additional reverb added but either way it's good.

I know firmani79 asked, but how have you got your effects blocks in the Axe setup/organized for this clip? Any tips? Parallel routing of any blocks? Which amp/cab?
Thanks Shenks!

I'll post the preset later today. The core of the preset came from Moke's awesome Eruption patch which I tweed for my gear. For the effects, the phaser is in front of the amp using the settings from Yek I believe, used a chorus after the amp for pretty Woman, and used parallel reverb on the right channel off center (with dry on left off center) with predelay and ducking form 5150's threads. I also added an Echoplex IR at the front of the chain from J Santiago that may or may not be adding something to the sound.

Amazing! Did you tone match or just dial that up by yourself? What amp/cab and effects were you using?
Thanks firmani99!

I wish I could have dialed that up from scratch, but no, I've borrowed and combined elements from many of the presets and posts from the Pros on this great forum. The core tone is a tweaked version of Moke's awesome Eruption patch with an EP3 IR at the front of the chain and parallel reverb in the right of center with predelay and ducking added. I believe Moke tonematched and combined that TM into a cab IR mix which I am using in this patch. I'll post the patch later today for anyone who wants to see it.

Hey Moke, you'd recognize a big piece of the preset. I started with your Eruption preset (which is awesome by the way!) and tweaked it for my gear. I adjusted the transformer match, bass cut, eq, some of the dynamics in the amp model, then added an Echoplex IR at the front, used slightly different phaser settings, added a chorus block for the "Pretty Woman" clip, then did a parallel reverb with predelay into the right channel. I added a delay block also in the right channel and flanger block but didn't use them in these clips. Mostly the mods were just to get my guitar sounding good for me playing in my room on general VH tunes and not tweaked for one specifically. I'll definitely post the preset later today when I figure out how to do it. Thanks Again for your awesome presets like Eruption, Boston and now Whitesnake. I can't wait to try that one this weekend!
I knew that I heard some genius in that preset......;):p. Seriously though, nice tweaks. I love the 'bite'!

VH was my 'go-to' archetypal 80s rock band... so whenever I see anybody posting presets or clips then I'm very interested.

Thanks for a bit of insight on the preset too guitarzen :)

Honestly as good as it gets. Now I just came off playing some dream theater sounds in my office at the loudest Ive played in years, but only now being semi def, still friggin great. Would love the preset too, borrowed twisted or what not.

Wow! That sounds effin great! I too prefer the no post processed clips. I watched 5150's video on getting the brown sound and dialed those settings for my equipment and about wet myself. But man, yours sounds even closer. Looking forward to your preset. There is definitely a skill for dialing in these tones and I'd have to honestly admit I'm a ways of yet. Again, great sound!

Damn, that sounds good! Playn' ain't bad either ;-)

Just curious, do you have an XL or an earlier model Axe?

Thnx,
RVM

(Crosses fingers hoping the patch will be for the earlier models.)

Last edited:
You give birth to these little Presets, feed them, change their diapers, teach them right from wrong, then send them out into the big scary world and hope that they do well..............:oops: I'm so proud..........lol

Last edited:
OK Guys, here's the preset (I hope this works). This is a preset-cab bundle, so just load it into a free location using AE and it will load the cabs automatically into scratch registers and you should be good to go. When you save the preset it should prompt you to select user locations for the 2 cab files. In case there is any issues, the Echoplex PREAMP.syx goes in the Cab at the front of the chain, and the Eruption Q1.00.syx goes in the Cab following the amp. I have an XL running Q1.06 so this should work for that, but I don't know how to save in any other format (if someone tells me how to do it, I would be happy to).

A few notes on the preset: I have low/med output PAF pickups so you may need to adjust levels to suit your gear, or to not clip on the output - I suggest starting with the Main level on the Main Output at the end of the chain. I'm using only Scene 1 and only X channel for everything. I just turn on and off effects manually in Scene 1, no other scenes are programmed. Also of note, I found that the input noise gate settings have a lot to do with clarity and punch, so I use the following settings: Type: intelligent, Thrsh: -74.5dB, Ratio: 2.75, Att: 1ms, Rel: 10ms, Lev: 0dB, Input Imp: Auto 1M. When I started using these settings it just got better.

Let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• VH Brown Sound Q1p6 v5.syx
    34 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom