Brit Silver - Is the mid knob behaving correctly?

Joker

Inspired
Since I've never played a Marshall Silver Jubilee in person, I don't know if this behavior is correct or not. Out of all the tone controls on the Jubilee Axe FX III model (FW 17.02), I found that the mid knob almost seems active in nature compared to the other knobs. With mids around 4 to 6, the model still sounds like a typical Marshall, but anything below 4 or above 6 seems to add artificial qualities to the tone. Is that how a real world Jubilee would react too?

The tone stack of the Jubilee is different from the typical Marshall and the B/M/T controls are all much more effective. You can definitely get some weird sounds out of the real thing with extreme settings, more so than you could with a plexi or 2203.

It’s amazing how responsive the tone knobs are on real Jubilee, just like the Brit Silver model. It’s one of the reasons the Jubilee is so unique. My Jubilee 2525H controls can have a dramatic effect with just the smallest turn of the tone knobs.

Ah man, when I bought a JCM800 and a Silver Jubilee its was like night and day.

The SJ is so sensitive but in a good way. It allows you to get a variety of tones and make it your own. You can almost never settle on the sound. Once I hit the UYI tone, I never touched the damn eq again......them my little boy walked in and set everything to 1 lol.

The JCM800 haha, you could take the BTM board out and not hear a different, the most useless EQ on the planet. You can only hear the EQ change when you are playing at the point of turning the knob, go and get a cup of tea, come back and you can't figure out if you changed anything, it's either got some bass fully up, or got some bass fully down. That amp should have just been a single channel Volume, Pre-gain and Master Volume amp only.

Amazing how it sounded constantly bloody awesome though. By far my favourite amp with a GT-OD in front.

Mike

It’s amazing how responsive the tone knobs are on real Jubilee, just like the Brit Silver model. It’s one of the reasons the Jubilee is so unique. My Jubilee 2525H controls can have a dramatic effect with just the smallest turn of the tone knobs.
Hey

You ever tried using the Lead channel for Rhythm and the clean channel slightly breaking up but then with a clean boost for lead.

Man, when I had it set right it was like a 3 channel amp

Mike

Hey

You ever tried using the Lead channel for Rhythm and the clean channel slightly breaking up but then with a clean boost for lead.

Man, when I had it set right it was like a 3 channel amp

Mike

I’ve never tried using it that way, but I should give it a shot!

I typically run the Jubilee with the output volume at 6, and the input gain around 3 or 4. I then ride the guitar volume knob to get the kind of gain I want.

<snip> The JCM800 haha, you could take the BTM board out and not hear a different, the most useless EQ on the planet. You can only hear the EQ change when you are playing at the point of turning the knob, go and get a cup of tea, come back and you can't figure out if you changed anything, it's either got some bass fully up, or got some bass fully down. That amp should have just been a single channel Volume, Pre-gain and Master Volume amp only.

Amazing how it sounded constantly bloody awesome though. By far my favourite amp with a GT-OD in front.

Mike
:tearsofjoy: My all time favourite amp, but like most of the older classic Marshalls, the tone controls: a) don't do that much, and b) are rather interactive. The mid control tends to disable the (already quite ineffective) treble and bass when it's all the way up. My policy with any amps with the "classic" Marshall tone stack has generally been to set them all on full, and then try to remove frequency bands that I'm not enjoying. Seems to work exactly the same in the Axe FX since we've had Cygnus, my "go to" was a TS up front for 20 odd years, but experience otherwise matches yours completely.

Liam

I bought a black 2555 brand new the year after the SJs came out. I was so young and so stupid (yeah, I know) and of course I couldn't do a thing with it. I bought a BOSS TurboOD to put in front of it and rented a GK 2x12 cab with Celestions in it.

I had everything I needed but the space to open that amp up and actually use it. I sold it and used the money to buy my MP-1 (North Carolina folks, I sold it to Brian Dennis of Dag for $600.)

Somehow I feel a lot less regret about that today!

Back
Top Bottom