Brit 800 V10 Experiment

rtcook

Experienced
Did a little comparison/experiment tonight and thought I would share the results.

I own an original, mint unmodded 1981 Marshall JCM800 2204 (6550 tubes) and two mint late 70's Marshall small check cabs loaded with original G1265's. One is a slant cab, the other is a bottom. So, essentially I have a full vintage stack.

Tonight I fired up the Axe II running V10 with my stereo EV powered cabs (FRFR) and set the amp to Brit 800 and the cabs to #56 4x12 G1265. No effects. Nothing but amp and cab.

I set both amps to the exact same settings for Presence, Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain and Master. Everything else on the Axe was left at its default settings.

I plugged into my amp, played a riff and then plugged into the Axe and played the same riff. It's was absolutely amazing how close the Axe was to the original tube amp in terms of tone and feel. I went back and forth a few times. I am extremely impressed. I changed the Master and the Gain on both and the Axe followed along exactly! This little experiment proved a lot for me. I think I can sell my vintage equipment now! Anybody looking for some nice vintage Marshall equipment?

Roger

Just tried the brit 800 again with kalthallen #3 WOW . Put the tube screamer on :D

Me three... the 800 has gone to one of my fave sims now that it not only sounds great but reacts like it should.

Axe settings for the Brit 800 experiment. Nothing fancy.

Cab = Factory 56 4x12 SLM G65 (OH) - Stereo panned 0.00 L & R
Drive = 10.00
Bass = 5.00
Mid = 6.00
Treble = 4.00
Presence = 8.00
Master = 2.00

I changed the Master to 2.5 and the Drive to 6.00 on both the Axe and the JCM 800 and the tone was pretty much the same. So, I am fairly confident no matter where you set the JCM 800 and Axe the same, the tone would be the same.

This tone may not be to everyone's taste, but I own these vintage pieces of equipment and for dialing in the same matching numbers is was really, really close. You could probably tweak it ever closer, but it was good enough for me! Amazing how close this Axe amp is to the real thing.

Roger

Master at 2??? I've always set the Master around 7, even in V10 for the Brit800. Gain is set to taste, usually around 4. G65 is a good match up, but try TV mix, AX mix or Green Mix with it, great Marshall results!!

I like the JCM800 with low drive [gain] settings for funk and clean tones
it has a cool girth and solidity to it with plenty of bite to cut through

Master at 2??? I've always set the Master around 7, even in V10 for the Brit800. Gain is set to taste, usually around 4. G65 is a good match up, but try TV mix, AX mix or Green Mix with it, great Marshall results!!

This was a comparison test. Not trying for any specific tone other than a tone match between the two. I can tell you if I set the Master on the JCM 800 at 4 with the Gain high, it is entirely too loud to stand in front of.

If he is standing next to a real JCM800 on 7, the atoms in his body would split. Those are LOUD!!! You have forgotten the rules of real amps, my friend :D

Back
Top Bottom